Digging in NC red clay.... what MD do you use?

DaneMom

Dec 27, 2014
Salisbury
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Garrett Pinpointer

AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first MD was the ACE 250, my husband got it for me for Christmas. I sold it yesterday and was planning on purchasing the AT Pro. However, now I am not sure that is what I want. Can I get input from people who dig in this red clay. I did not find anything with the ACE 250. just junk. Thanks!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My soil ranges from mild to wild depending where you're at on our NC farm. Anywhere from 0 bars on the Fe meter up to 4. Mostly 2-3 though and only 4 bar in a couple of areas. At my Ohio or WV farm, the soil doesn't vary nearly as much and is all fairly homogeneous. My Fisher F75 LTD handles the soil very well here. I believe the AT Pro will work well in hot soil as well and most people seem to like the Garret. Going from the other Garret should also be an easy transition.

Whatever you get, do your research and make sure it has a DD coil. Good luck and hopefully others in your specific area of NC will chime in!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Marietta Ga, and we also have the red clay here instead of soil. I use the AT Pro and love it. With its Double D coil, and the ability to ground balance it works like a charm. The soil here can change in mineral content in less than a mile so I have to re-gorund balance almost every time I go to a different area. But with a couple quick pumps of the coil towards the ground in less than 10 seconds she is all set to find the treasures :) So yes for your soil , er iron infested clay I would say yes to the AT Pro.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the AT here in NC & SC & it does fine. The soil in Va near Culpepper is a different story...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used an ATP in Charlotte area and it worked like a charm. I now use Deus and it works even better, but costs more money. The Deus found two silver coins in Iredell County last Saturday!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Marietta Ga, and we also have the red clay here instead of soil. I use the AT Pro and love it. With its Double D coil, and the ability to ground balance it works like a charm. The soil here can change in mineral content in less than a mile so I have to re-gorund balance almost every time I go to a different area. But with a couple quick pumps of the coil towards the ground in less than 10 seconds she is all set to find the treasures :) So yes for your soil , er iron infested clay I would say yes to the AT Pro.

Sounds good to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread