Asking permission on private property!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By 1shotwade
  • 2 Post By pepperj
  • 1 Post By BigWaveDave
  • 2 Post By NWMP
  • 1 Post By Argentium

Thread: Asking permission on private property!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    May 2014
    southern Indiana
    white 4900/d
    187
    103 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Asking permission on private property!

    Just wanted to add to the conversation here as I love reading and learning. So anyway I'm just starting and I live in a very rural area. I've been eyeballing places I would like to hunt and finally got up enough to ask and guess what? I'm 8 for 8 ! I couldn't believe it! Like I said it's rural and I would think no one has ever detected around here but I must be wrong. Three people said "Sure but you won't find anything. My ____ Went over it and didn't get a thing"! Or a similar comment.
    So anyway,getting permission around here doesn't seem to be a problem,but,considering this has always been a poor,rural area,finding anything might turn out to be pretty difficult!

    Wade
    coinman123 and JOe L like this.

  2. #2
    us
    AquaTerra

    Mar 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Minelab Excalibur II 10", X-Terra 705, 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, 18.75 Khz, Digger.
    13
    3 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Maybe, but never hurts to try.

  3. #3
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    11,015
    16315 times
    Relic Hunting
    Well the simple fact that the hobby is 50+ years old getting an untouched sites are getting harder and harder.
    Knocked on one door today and asked who owned the field next to them. They owned just one half, wife bought husband a $450 detector for Xmas Discovery 2200 and he was going to detect it when he retires.
    The field was a 1850's fair ground for 30+ yrs and the original owner never allowed detecting on the property. I gave my name to the nice lady and said that I'll help her husband out with learning the ropes.

    Now do I go and ask permission for the other half of the field from the other neighbour?
    coinman123 and AARC like this.

  4. #4
    us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

    Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    8,687
    14280 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    The best stuff comes out of places that have already been hunted.... keep up with the permissions, you will be busy all summer.
    MrMikeJackie likes this.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

  5. #5
    ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tejon, AT Pro
    485
    353 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I suppose that everyone has their own method(s). But what I have found is: Conduct yourself according to the situation as it presents itself. Meaning that if an old lady comes to the door I usually back off the steps and speak in a softer reassuring tone etc., Wear clean clothes, if not actually detecting that day I will dress well before an eyeball request, yes we are judged by how we look initially. Try to be as open and honest as you feel safe to be. If I meet normal rational folks I have no problem giving them my phone number, and assuring them that I will treat their land (field) with utmost respect, and if they have any issues to call me. I have also had a few come to the door and I just excused myself because there was a "Silence of the lambs" vibe and my instinct said leave. Go with your gut and common sense. Oh ya, I try to be generic and blend into the local area in my dress and attitude. Walking up to a farmer with face jewelry and pants hanging off yer arse will likely get you a sharp no and door slam. I'm sure that this is all common sense to you but a little thought in regard to these issues can go a long way. And if that field really smokes maybe consider dropping off a find or two to the land owner.
    coinman123 and AARC like this.

  6. #6
    us
    Jun 2007
    Out Biking
    Still deciding IF I want to try again
    64
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    NWMP, you offer very sound advice! Too bad it is useless in my area of the country. Here in the South, you need to know someone who knows someone and so on. I live less than 10 miles of Averasboro battlegrounds and have been trying to get permission for the past 12 years...no dice! There's even an asteroid impact area 2 miles from my home that no one can hunt. I am about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Carolina Bays. I called a property owner who gave me permission over the phone and said come on out. I arrived only to to be turned down by the same person. It's frustrating to do the research, put the hours in finding places to come up empty-handed.

  7. #7
    us
    Jul 2010
    706
    361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWMP View Post
    I suppose that everyone has their own method(s). But what I have found is: Conduct yourself according to the situation as it presents itself. Meaning that if an old lady comes to the door I usually back off the steps and speak in a softer reassuring tone etc., Wear clean clothes, if not actually detecting that day I will dress well before an eyeball request, yes we are judged by how we look initially. Try to be as open and honest as you feel safe to be. If I meet normal rational folks I have no problem giving them my phone number, and assuring them that I will treat their land (field) with utmost respect, and if they have any issues to call me. I have also had a few come to the door and I just excused myself because there was a "Silence of the lambs" vibe and my instinct said leave. Go with your gut and common sense. Oh ya, I try to be generic and blend into the local area in my dress and attitude. Walking up to a farmer with face jewelry and pants hanging off yer arse will likely get you a sharp no and door slam. I'm sure that this is all common sense to you but a little thought in regard to these issues can go a long way. And if that field really smokes maybe consider dropping off a find or two to the land owner.

    Good Gawd! Those parameters of operation sounds like what I used to have to do most every day for "the boss" before I became a free, retired man. The facts are...I'm older and pudgy now, fancy clothes ain't in the restricted budget. Just sayin'

  8. #8
    us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    8,629
    4999 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah , you really have to be thrilled when folks say "you won't find anything it's already been hunted _X__ no. of times " I say this because
    I don't think I've read a story yet where anybody got skunked after being told that .
    coinman123 likes this.

  9. #9
    ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tejon, AT Pro
    485
    353 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourwayz View Post
    NWMP, you offer very sound advice! Too bad it is useless in my area of the country. Here in the South, you need to know someone who knows someone and so on. I live less than 10 miles of Averasboro battlegrounds and have been trying to get permission for the past 12 years...no dice! There's even an asteroid impact area 2 miles from my home that no one can hunt. I am about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Carolina Bays. I called a property owner who gave me permission over the phone and said come on out. I arrived only to to be turned down by the same person. It's frustrating to do the research, put the hours in finding places to come up empty-handed.
    Thanks bud, all I have is my own experience, and I learn from other hobbyists also. I tend to do any serious permission requests in the winter to set up for spring. Actually it has been a few years since I have tried for new fields. I have no idea what my positive percentage is but it is higher than the denials. At least for spots that had some real meaning to me. I also remember some sweet locations that were denied and I tried to thank the owner anyway for their time and leave with grace. But the ones that got away can sting, lol.

  10. #10
    ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tejon, AT Pro
    485
    353 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinney_5900 View Post
    Good Gawd! Those parameters of operation sounds like what I used to have to do most every day for "the boss" before I became a free, retired man. The facts are...I'm older and pudgy now, fancy clothes ain't in the restricted budget. Just sayin'
    Fair enough bud, I understand. I'll never make the cat walk out there either, but I put the shine on at times if it will help. It's funny because I have gone into the local super market so many times looking like a hobo that slept in the mud, that I became self conscious of it, lol.

  11. #11
    us
    ARC

    Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    21,589
    53905 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by NWMP View Post
    I suppose that everyone has their own method(s). But what I have found is: Conduct yourself according to the situation as it presents itself. Meaning that if an old lady comes to the door I usually back off the steps and speak in a softer reassuring tone etc., Wear clean clothes, if not actually detecting that day I will dress well before an eyeball request, yes we are judged by how we look initially. Try to be as open and honest as you feel safe to be. If I meet normal rational folks I have no problem giving them my phone number, and assuring them that I will treat their land (field) with utmost respect, and if they have any issues to call me. I have also had a few come to the door and I just excused myself because there was a "Silence of the lambs" vibe and my instinct said leave. Go with your gut and common sense. Oh ya, I try to be generic and blend into the local area in my dress and attitude. Walking up to a farmer with face jewelry and pants hanging off yer arse will likely get you a sharp no and door slam. I'm sure that this is all common sense to you but a little thought in regard to these issues can go a long way. And if that field really smokes maybe consider dropping off a find or two to the land owner.
    Perfect advice.
    Well said.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

  12. #12
    us
    Jun 2013
    North Carolina
    xp deus
    78
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    Yeah , you really have to be thrilled when folks say "you won't find anything it's already been hunted _X__ no. of times " I say this because
    I don't think I've read a story yet where anybody got skunked after being told that .
    those are some good words to hear there..I have destroyed yards after those words..I always think to myself, " wonder if he/she had an etrac , etc.."

    dan

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Losing permission on private private property...interesting debate
    By Deerhunter24 in forum Finds - Michigan
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Apr 01, 2013, 07:38 PM
  2. permission to md on private property.
    By Sdthunter760 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2013, 03:29 PM
  3. Getting permission to hunt private Property ?
    By AcRellik in forum Illinois
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
  4. Have you ever hunted private property without permission?
    By scuffler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: Aug 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
  5. Help needed - getting permission on private property
    By Bossgobbler23 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 13, 2005, 02:08 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0