Asking permission on private property!

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to add to the conversation here as I love reading and learning. So anyway I'm just starting and I live in a very rural area. I've been eyeballing places I would like to hunt and finally got up enough to ask and guess what? I'm 8 for 8 ! I couldn't believe it! Like I said it's rural and I would think no one has ever detected around here but I must be wrong. Three people said "Sure but you won't find anything. My ____ Went over it and didn't get a thing"! Or a similar comment.
So anyway,getting permission around here doesn't seem to be a problem,but,considering this has always been a poor,rural area,finding anything might turn out to be pretty difficult!

Wade

tibortt

Greenie
Mar 11, 2015
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", X-Terra 705, 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, 18.75 Khz, Digger.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe, but never hurts to try.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the simple fact that the hobby is 50+ years old getting an untouched sites are getting harder and harder.
Knocked on one door today and asked who owned the field next to them. They owned just one half, wife bought husband a $450 detector for Xmas Discovery 2200 and he was going to detect it when he retires.
The field was a 1850's fair ground for 30+ yrs and the original owner never allowed detecting on the property. I gave my name to the nice lady and said that I'll help her husband out with learning the ropes.

Now do I go and ask permission for the other half of the field from the other neighbour?:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best stuff comes out of places that have already been hunted.... keep up with the permissions, you will be busy all summer.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that everyone has their own method(s). But what I have found is: Conduct yourself according to the situation as it presents itself. Meaning that if an old lady comes to the door I usually back off the steps and speak in a softer reassuring tone etc., Wear clean clothes, if not actually detecting that day I will dress well before an eyeball request, yes we are judged by how we look initially. Try to be as open and honest as you feel safe to be. If I meet normal rational folks I have no problem giving them my phone number, and assuring them that I will treat their land (field) with utmost respect, and if they have any issues to call me. I have also had a few come to the door and I just excused myself because there was a "Silence of the lambs" vibe and my instinct said leave. Go with your gut and common sense. Oh ya, I try to be generic and blend into the local area in my dress and attitude. Walking up to a farmer with face jewelry and pants hanging off yer arse will likely get you a sharp no and door slam. I'm sure that this is all common sense to you but a little thought in regard to these issues can go a long way. And if that field really smokes maybe consider dropping off a find or two to the land owner.

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NWMP, you offer very sound advice! Too bad it is useless in my area of the country. Here in the South, you need to know someone who knows someone and so on. I live less than 10 miles of Averasboro battlegrounds and have been trying to get permission for the past 12 years...no dice! There's even an asteroid impact area 2 miles from my home that no one can hunt. I am about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Carolina Bays. I called a property owner who gave me permission over the phone and said come on out. I arrived only to to be turned down by the same person. It's frustrating to do the research, put the hours in finding places to come up empty-handed.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I suppose that everyone has their own method(s). But what I have found is: Conduct yourself according to the situation as it presents itself. Meaning that if an old lady comes to the door I usually back off the steps and speak in a softer reassuring tone etc., Wear clean clothes, if not actually detecting that day I will dress well before an eyeball request, yes we are judged by how we look initially. Try to be as open and honest as you feel safe to be. If I meet normal rational folks I have no problem giving them my phone number, and assuring them that I will treat their land (field) with utmost respect, and if they have any issues to call me. I have also had a few come to the door and I just excused myself because there was a "Silence of the lambs" vibe and my instinct said leave. Go with your gut and common sense. Oh ya, I try to be generic and blend into the local area in my dress and attitude. Walking up to a farmer with face jewelry and pants hanging off yer arse will likely get you a sharp no and door slam. I'm sure that this is all common sense to you but a little thought in regard to these issues can go a long way. And if that field really smokes maybe consider dropping off a find or two to the land owner.

Good Gawd! Those parameters of operation sounds like what I used to have to do most every day for "the boss" before I became a free, retired man. The facts are...I'm older and pudgy now, fancy clothes ain't in the restricted budget. Just sayin'

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , you really have to be thrilled when folks say "you won't find anything it's already been hunted _X__ no. of times " I say this because
I don't think I've read a story yet where anybody got skunked after being told that .

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWMP, you offer very sound advice! Too bad it is useless in my area of the country. Here in the South, you need to know someone who knows someone and so on. I live less than 10 miles of Averasboro battlegrounds and have been trying to get permission for the past 12 years...no dice! There's even an asteroid impact area 2 miles from my home that no one can hunt. I am about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Carolina Bays. I called a property owner who gave me permission over the phone and said come on out. I arrived only to to be turned down by the same person. It's frustrating to do the research, put the hours in finding places to come up empty-handed.

Thanks bud, all I have is my own experience, and I learn from other hobbyists also. I tend to do any serious permission requests in the winter to set up for spring. Actually it has been a few years since I have tried for new fields. I have no idea what my positive percentage is but it is higher than the denials. At least for spots that had some real meaning to me. I also remember some sweet locations that were denied and I tried to thank the owner anyway for their time and leave with grace. But the ones that got away can sting, lol.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Gawd! Those parameters of operation sounds like what I used to have to do most every day for "the boss" before I became a free, retired man. The facts are...I'm older and pudgy now, fancy clothes ain't in the restricted budget. Just sayin'

Fair enough bud, I understand. I'll never make the cat walk out there either, but I put the shine on at times if it will help. It's funny because I have gone into the local super market so many times looking like a hobo that slept in the mud, that I became self conscious of it, lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Perfect advice.
Well said.

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , you really have to be thrilled when folks say "you won't find anything it's already been hunted _X__ no. of times " I say this because
I don't think I've read a story yet where anybody got skunked after being told that .

those are some good words to hear there..I have destroyed yards after those words..I always think to myself, " wonder if he/she had an etrac , etc.."

dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread