this may be stupid question about pinpointers

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a vid on youtube and this guy was doing an air test with a pinpointer and marking the results on a sheet of papper. The pinpointer was beeping on a penny at about 2.5 inches at the tip and similar on the sides. I thought " well if I stick that thing in a hole and it goes beep the coin could be a couple inches straight down or a couple inches to the east or west or north or south or any direction in between, how does that help me?"

What am I missing here? I have never used one

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a vid on youtube and this guy was doing an air test with a pinpointer and marking the results on a sheet of papper. The pinpointer was beeping on a penny at about 2.5 inches at the tip and similar on the sides. I thought " well if I stick that thing in a hole and it goes beep the coin could be a couple inches straight down or a couple inches to the east or west or north or south or any direction in between, how does that help me?"

What am I missing here? I have never used one
It is called practice, it is like any thing else you practice till you learn how to recover multiple targets...[emoji3] [emoji106]

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Multiple targets in a hole complicate it but can be figured out eventually.
With one target, if still in the hole it would help to have a chirp in the hole, the pinpointer helps by alerting if you are close to target. Not chirping means, check the plug and other removed soil to locate target. Or rescan with detector to confirm target is or is not still in hole or hole not deep enough.
The Garret vibrates. Faster closer to target. Beeps are faster too when touching/very close with the tip. An adjustment can be made on older style(I'm not familiar with the new) to reduce sensitivity when it is beeping all over in a hole due to a big target or multiples.
There will be exceptions. A large target near like a can ect. it will chirp merrily.
A "lost" target like a small piece of wire that needs to be re-found with your detector away from the hole and plug and any removed soil.
Sometimes a tiny tiny item the eyes don't register on the pin pointer can help locate.
I'd be unhappy not to use a handheld pinpointer anymore even after using the detector to pinpoint.
I started without one and survived but a friend loaned his,(big old boxy one)and I did not hand it back quite willingly....
A shallow target located with the detector, I touch the ground, if needed move pinpointer around to locate target position with the pinpointer, and pop it out with a tool.My detector is not always precise with near surface items.
Sometimes they are deeper than I thought so it's back to the detector to mark the spot, cut my plug,check hole with pinpointer, and onward through recovery...
Use of handheld =A cleaner/less damage recovery usually at all depths. A help with tiny objects or those the same color as dirt . When close to a deep target, less risk of damaging it with recovery tool.
Impatience scratches the targets more than anything. I still do on occasion.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing stupid about a question is when it goes unanswered. Mike

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted the majority May 2014 thru Sep 2014 without one and dug about $400 in clad. I had bought a $40-$50 pin pointer, it only had a range of 1/2 inch, did not like it. Don't know why I keep it. I did get a garret pro pointer as part of deal. I really like it. has about a 2 to 2.5 inch depth. It is not good in a trashy area, since it does not discriminate. But it helps in coin recovery time, (find more faster) most of the time. Like releventchair stated, if you use the Garret pro pointer when you detect a shallow coin, you can pop it out of the ground without digging a plug.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Sunray inline probe on my Explorer SE, it comes in handy when using a Double D coil, I also like the fact that it has tone id. Just my humble opinion.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Sunray inline probe on my Explorer SE, it comes in handy when using a Double D coil, I also like the fact that it has tone id. Just my humble opinion.

The inline are great for the fact that it's just a mini coil actually and the tones are the same and only detect on the tip, so I had it on the SE and on the Etrac. But had to go with a hand held when going to the CTX and I bought a Garret and it went south quickly, bought a Minelab and the fact that one has to push the boost button to increase the sensitivity of the pinpointer to be equal to the Garret is a dumb idea. Just bought another Garret and it lasted less than two weeks and gave it back to the dealer and they replaced it with another black one. It wouldn't pick up small items in the mud, it buzzed when pressure was applied to the sides or the tip. Had to buy a Vibra-Probe for water hunting as the other two aren't waterproof.

Never owned a pinpointer in all the years of detecting as they never made them, then getting back into hobby in /08 I bought into the fashion and I'd say it really helps speed up the recovery especially in muddy conditions, multi target digs, also the Minelab doesn't like air many times a target just disappears and it's either in the loose soils or on side of the hole so the pinpointer comes in handy because of these issues.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pistol probe locates 3" from the target which confuses me.
I like my Garrett's better the areas I hunt tend to be very trashy. What I have found that helps is I pin point with the detector then use the pin pointer on the surface to try and locate the target first. If it is with in a couple of inches it can be popped out of the soil with my screwdriver.
If it is deeper I dig a plug, check the plug first then the hole by checking the sides with a circular downward motion to the bottom of the hole. The pin pointer gets louder and vibrates more the closer you get to the target. Also if you pass the target on the way down the pin pointer quiets down so you know you passed the target in the side of the hole.
If the target is large and still farther down I use my screw driver to probe for it, if I still can't locate it I have to dig more.
Like with anything the more you use it the more proficient you become with it.

There are no stupid questions.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relaventchair gave you some great tips and just to clarify the sensitivity adjustment on the new Garrett Pro-Pointer AT: It comes with 3 sensitivity settings all of which can be detuned to to reduce sensitivity as you get closer to the target. A quick button press as you're scanning will do this and subsequent presses will reduce the sensitivity further, This helps in eliminating side scanning detection and concentrates the detection to the tip of the pointer. I've found that too many presses will turn off the detection altogether. The AT is a fantastic pin-pointer, although I have nothing to compare it to since it's my first one. If you do decide to go with Garrett choose the AT pro over the first one, there's many new features including being waterproof to 10 feet to justify the 17 dollar increase in price.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The inline are great for the fact that it's just a mini coil actually and the tones are the same and only detect on the tip, so I had it on the SE and on the Etrac. But had to go with a hand held when going to the CTX and I bought a Garret and it went south quickly, bought a Minelab and the fact that one has to push the boost button to increase the sensitivity of the pinpointer to be equal to the Garret is a dumb idea. Just bought another Garret and it lasted less than two weeks and gave it back to the dealer and they replaced it with another black one. It wouldn't pick up small items in the mud, it buzzed when pressure was applied to the sides or the tip. Had to buy a Vibra-Probe for water hunting as the other two aren't waterproof.

Never owned a pinpointer in all the years of detecting as they never made them, then getting back into hobby in /08 I bought into the fashion and I'd say it really helps speed up the recovery especially in muddy conditions, multi target digs, also the Minelab doesn't like air many times a target just disappears and it's either in the loose soils or on side of the hole so the pinpointer comes in handy because of these issues.
Inline probes are good but they have 1 major disadvantage. They will null the machine if a piece of iron is in hole, making one miss the good target thinking it was just a deep piece of iron. Twice I went over a buddies hole and pulled coins next to iron after he checked it with his inline probe. Be carefull. Mike

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relaventchair gave you some great tips and just to clarify the sensitivity adjustment on the new Garrett Pro-Pointer AT: It comes with 3 sensitivity settings all of which can be detuned to to reduce sensitivity as you get closer to the target. A quick button press as you're scanning will do this and subsequent presses will reduce the sensitivity further, This helps in eliminating side scanning detection and concentrates the detection to the tip of the pointer. I've found that too many presses will turn off the detection altogether. The AT is a fantastic pin-pointer, although I have nothing to compare it to since it's my first one. If you do decide to go with Garrett choose the AT pro over the first one, there's many new features including being waterproof to 10 feet to justify the 17 dollar increase in price.

Dr witty, when I ordered my medal Det last week I tried to order a garrett pro AT but they didn't have any in stock, I went to a different site and they didn't have them either. I sent an e-mail asking when they would be getting some in aand they said they didn't know. I will be using mine while snorkeling and Sandman suggested I just try fanning the surface with an old ping pong paddle so I will be trying that. But I am thinking they may still be a good choice if I decide to ever hunt parks and stuff again because they don't seem to beep when a little pressure is applied.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inline probes are good but they have 1 major disadvantage. They will null the machine if a piece of iron is in hole, making one miss the good target thinking it was just a deep piece of iron. Twice I went over a buddies hole and pulled coins next to iron after he checked it with his inline probe. Be carefull. Mike

If the main coil could give a diggable signal, the inline probe will have no problem seeing the conductive target also. I never missed a conductive target just because there was also iron in the hole. There were plenty of times it was JUST iron in the hole. A good hunter learns to use the tools to the best ability.

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Pinpointer from Amazon.com on April 9th and it shipped out the same day.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with Metal Detecting Stuff, but be quick, chances are good they wont last long. I had pre-ordered mine back in January. I plan on using mine while snorkeling as well, I just have to wait till July to do it. Up here in NY many fields still have areas where digging a hole quickly fills with water. The AT is great since I can submerge it in the mud and muck without worry. I have not had any instances of falsing with this new pointer, so they must have fixed that issue.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing stupid about a question is when it goes unanswered. Mike

The saying is "the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked". This because one cannot learn anything without asking.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The saying is "the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked". This because one cannot learn anything without asking.
Not what I was saying as the question was asked :)

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
I had a friend that for years, refused to get a pinpointer. He said that he saw no need for one. I was continually out pacing him on the number of finds. He decided to get him one and now he says that he does not know how he ever got along without one. Get one! It will not take you long to realize how much time it will cut down on finding your targets. I use the PistolProbe. Have tried others but for me, nothing beats the PistolProbe. Of course, others will differ on their preference, as they do for the detector itself, and this is to be expected and just fine. What works for others may not work for you. It is good to see so many different brands of pinpointers. I am wanting to try the new Garrett Pro-Pointer. I think it will be a winner. When I started detecting, they were not around. You have received some good replies that will help you make a decision.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Its hard for me to see coins in the dirt, they just blend in. Some times the coin is in the dirt you just dug out. Push it around with the pin pointer and I still can't see it. When it comes to that will locate the coin in the dirt with out seeing it and scoop it up on my hand with the dirt and use the pin pointer to push off the dirt in my hand till the coin is located. Usually a dime or a penny. Maybe I need stronger eye glasses.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Wayne! Just ordered the Garrett Pro Pointer AT and a Samson Mini from you!
Best of Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions