Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

I FINALLY got a few buds to come by and hunt my home.
We have 4.2 acres at the foot of the South Mountain, built in 1850 and supposedly was one of the stops on the Underground Rail-Road.
Originally it was nothing more than a 2 room cabin (one room downstairs and 1 room upstairs, but over the years various "additions" have been done to bring it to a more up to date home.

First,,, my home and property has NEVER been detected on,,

ANYWAY,, I did not get any pics, but the FIRST coin out of the ground was a real nice Indian head penny,,, (not a bad start eh?).
Merc dime,,, bunch of Wheaties and Lincolns then. We quit at dark.

Since the "cabin" was built in past times,,, along with the "remoteness" of the cabin at the time of construction, I have a very good feeling there is at least one good cache there,
possibly more than one. Any tips as to where we should look ? There is no basement but one was dug out to put a coal furnace in about 50 years ago. That was finally removed about 10 years ago due to the seasonal spring which runs pretty hard in the wetter months.

Several old foundation "outlines" are in the yard for the barn and outbuilding(s). And I have located 2 of the outhouses,,, I know there should be at least 2 - 3 more.
And supposedly there was a skirmish or two fought across road,in the woods during the movement of Confederate troops on their way to Carlisle.

So since the coin/relic hunting is going to be ongoing, probably for quite a while, I will add to this thread, (with PICS hehheh) of whatever is found from here on out.
I am hoping to find time after work today to hunt some more.

Oh yea,,,, and a huge THANK YOU to DIGGER70pa for getting me another coil for the Fisher CZ70 pro I bought from him. And for getting me into this new hobby.
THANKS BUDDY !!!

Seey"all round for sure
Hit

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be in a place easily seen from the house. Now when you say cache do you mean the bank or the wallet? The wallet will be shallower and easily accessible usually with a rock or something g similar on top covering it. The bank will be deeper, within arms length and visible from the house. Usually by a tree, flag pole, fence post, or mail box. Figuring that out is the hard part. For the bank you might need a two box detector depending on how long his arms where:). Good luck, Mike

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be in a place easily seen from the house. Now when you say cache do you mean the bank or the wallet? The wallet will be shallower and easily accessible usually with a rock or something g similar on top covering it. The bank will be deeper, within arms length and visible from the house. Usually by a tree, flag pole, fence post, or mail box. Figuring that out is the hard part. For the bank you might need a two box detector depending on how long his arms where:). Good luck, Mike
=================================================
Thanks Mike !!
I am GUESSING there may be both to be honest,,, well hoping anyway :)

Your suggestions really narrow down my choices actually,, I will do a little "surveying" from
The existing windows of the original structure as well as from the "hidden" windows that were covered during the additions / renovations.
for any landmarks that may indicate a good hiding place for cash or valuables.

THANKS AGAIN
Hit

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One last note, usually buried on the side of the property which has the most sunlight during the day. More time to lookout during the course of the day. Again good luck.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people who lived in remote cabins were very poor and had nothing to "cache". I realize that as a new MDer you have visions of finding caches, but in general it doesn't happen often. Fact is that most folks in rural areas did not have reserves of cash or any jewelry or other valuable things to bury. If you wish to specialize in cache hunting I suggest you read Karl Von Mueller's "Trearure Hunter's Manual #6 or #7.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a great setup there to hunt. Good luck and looking forward to pics, try to include some of the grounds. Would be interested to see what you have there. Joe

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people who lived in remote cabins were very poor and had nothing to "cache". I realize that as a new MDer you have visions of finding caches, but in general it doesn't happen often. Fact is that most folks in rural areas did not have reserves of cash or any jewelry or other valuable things to bury. If you wish to specialize in cache hunting I suggest you read Karl Von Mueller's "Trearure Hunter's Manual #6 or #7.
================================================================
I appreciate the thought,,,
What I am thinking is that it has been occupied continuously since it has been built. So not necessarily a "bank" but just burying things they held valuable.
I did find a knife and an axehead wrapped in a bag (bag was gone but you could see the weave on the knifeblade) decades ago when I needed to do some outdoor plumbing.
Wish I could remember where I put it at.

Anyway,,, I really appreciate everything I have been told and will remember it all when the time comes.
I will get a few pics up soon showing a few different views of the property.

Thanks all
Hit

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you're going to hide something valuable, will you hide it within sight of the house, very near the house, or actually inside of the house? I'd personally be more comfortable hiding something if I knew for a fact that no one was watching me do it. I can't know that outside. (I can't even know that inside these days, but it would have been a safe bet a century ago.)

I'm admittedly not a cache hunter though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread