How does one get permits to detect on GOV?

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Town, State, National?

Other than National grounds, if there's no law against, I just go. I hit allot of local parks with no troubles. State, I just be careful of where I and just do it. National, I don't even try to detect.

OP
OP
Rockhoppernc

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All our land are gov owned. Asheville nc

OP
OP
Rockhoppernc

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say state maybe. I sent an email to a few friend here asking who I can talk to. Also have problem with a ranger or gov worker hanging out keeping an eye in things.

OP
OP
Rockhoppernc

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of our mountains are in green and protected with amazing history just rusting away...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429202361.828135.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont you like how they word that,especially the undiscovered part:laughing9:How does one know when he is around an undiscovered cultural or historic site.Written by morons:laughing9:

OP
OP
Rockhoppernc

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I called. Only one place that you can hunt. I little campground swimming lake beach.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ya I called. Only one place that you can hunt. I little campground swimming lake beach.

When they gave you this answer, did they cite where they were getting that from ? I mean, is there actually something written that says "md'ing ok only at such & such swim beach, but not elsewhere, blah blah " ?

In your O.P., you ask about "govt. land". But did not say city, versus county, versus state, versus fed. Now it appears you've isolated it down to being NFS land, eh ? And as as such (as your link shows) NFS even has an express allowance :) So I'm not sure why you needed to ask more Q's ? And I'm betting their answer was just arbitrary whim, & written no where to actually say such a thing.

The only thing the rule said was not to (gasp) find old stuff. But is someone really hiding behind trees deep in the woods, armed with calculators, waiting to jump out and do the math on the ages of coins you just found ? Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, and you'd have fulfilled the intent of any sort of cultural heritage verbage.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a gigantic Fedral park area in Mississippi. The Rangers approached me one day and asked for my permit......Duh what permit? They told me to go to the ranger station and they would give me one for free i just had to acknowledge that i knew that i was supposed to leave indian artifacts on the ground and eagle feathers and turn in Civil war stuff and maybe other stuff too.
Point is ,just hunt the area. if you are doing something wrong someone will let you know and i bet you wont get a citation the first time any way.

"sometimes it is easier to recieve forgiveness than permission."

P.S. do not mess around with game wardens , their power is vast!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread