Could have lost a finger

Mar 29, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand shark,Detector Pro, Bounty hunter, vib 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was water hunting today and got a hit under a tree that had fallen in. There was a hole and my sand scoop was to big to fit in. In these cases I usually just stick my hand in and try to pull the object out. I'm glad I didn't. I decided to use my pin pointer and when I stuck it in I herd a snap sound. I pull it out and a huge stone crab is pinching deep into my 730. florida-stone-crab-info.jpg

Now this is a first for me and looking at my pin pointer that's made from heavy duty plastic I guaranty this would have taken a nice chunk out of my finger. crab pinch.jpg

All and all the 730 still works great but a lesson was leaned that 1, I cant just assume a hole in the gulf is free from creatures and 2, I need to invest in small tool that can do these jobs instead of using my hand.

Now you all stay safe and watch your fingers:thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!

Stone crab claws in melted butter sound better than a clad quarter!

Glad you didn't get a nasty nip! I have turned out razor blades, glass, hypo needles, knife blades, broadheads, lots of jagged metal - but no crabs.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yum!!! I agree, that crab would taste good with butter!

Next time wear gloves to avoid angry crabs.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, but what gave you the signal in the first place? Don't tell us you didn't go back to check?? :icon_thumright:

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have named that little critter... lunch! No butter needed for me, Stone Crab is my favorite!

OP
OP
M
Mar 29, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand shark,Detector Pro, Bounty hunter, vib 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha I thought of taking the claw but gave it to a bunch on interested kids on vacation who wanted to examine it for awhile. And yes Meadow I went back and it was a dang pop tab=(

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find!

Stone crab claws in melted butter sound better than a clad quarter!

I agree and worth a heck of a lot more than most clad quarters! Stone Crab Claws are going for up to $30 or more a pound. Just be careful as we used cans of Cat Food in the Stone Crab traps and when we pulled the traps up with several Stone Crabs inside, the Cat Food cans were shredded into little bitty pieces. They should hire them to work at Metal Recycling Plants to shred all of the metal as they work for cheap meals, LOL!!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just pet him & he'll be fine.

Yeah, right!!???::):icon_pale: The first season that myself and a friend Jim helped out our friend Rip (actually Richard) with pulling traps to harvest Stone Crab claws, Rip's Lobster traps had not yet been converted to dual use for Lobsters and Stone Crabs. When we pulled the first trap onboard Rip's boat and found it had about 6 Stone Crabs in it and shredded Cat Food cans, we asked Rip how in the hell are we supposed to get them out of the trap??!! He laughingly said, just reach in there and grab them one at a time. Well, Jim was stupid enough to grab just one and almost lost a finger. After that, we temporarily removed a couple of wood slats on the tops of each trap and dumped the Stone Crabs in a big tub. Rip said that once we got finished pulling all of the traps and got the boat home, we would drive down to Big Coppitt Key and ask Three-Fingered Louie how he gets Stone Crabs out of the traps.::):laughing7:

Frank

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I got pinched by a little crayfish and thought that hurt like heck, I could only imagine removing stonecrabs from traps.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very tasty fellow, didn't know they had such attitudes. For some reason I'm thinking of my big toe right now.:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I got pinched by a little crayfish and thought that hurt like heck, I could only imagine removing stonecrabs from traps.

Very tasty fellow, didn't know they had such attitudes. For some reason I'm thinking of my big toe right now.:laughing7:

The bigger the claws, the bigger the attitude! The one that the O.P. pulled from the hole is a normal sized Stone Crab with proportionate sized claws. We actually caught some off of Sugarloaf Key that had claws twice the size of their' bodies. Get one with that size of claws and they could likely cut a fender off of a car or truck, no crap!

Frank

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
You should raise the notch and discrimination just a bit, hopefully that will help.
BTW, In Florida the marine patrol will pull you over in front of your driveway. In the 80's possession of that little guy was about $220, first offense), LOL, Today you probably would have to do some time. ( you are only allowed to harvest one left claw, )

In California we have Cougars, Bears and Mountain Lions. (Oh my)

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The bigger the claws, the bigger the attitude! The one that the O.P. pulled from the hole is a normal sized Stone Crab with proportionate sized claws. We actually caught some off of Sugarloaf Key that had claws twice the size of their' bodies. Get one with that size of claws and they cut a fender off of a car or truck, no crap!

Frank

They can lift a tractor trailer 1/4 mile above A1A into the direct flight path of incoming 737's with one claw while derailing a locomotive with the other.
In China they are often used as substitutes for high rise construction cranes.

Two of them will lift the entire space shuttle including solid rocket boosters into low earth orbit and subsequently get recycled to serve as Jet propulsion units for the Mars Research Station

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The bigger the claws, the bigger the attitude! The one that the O.P. pulled from the hole is a normal sized Stone Crab with proportionate sized claws. We actually caught some off of Sugarloaf Key that had claws twice the size of their' bodies. Get one with that size of claws and they cut a fender off of a car or truck, no crap!

Frank

The navy uses them for their Nuclear power potential in the newly developed "George Bush economy killer" class of Nuclear Submarine.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The navy uses them for their Nuclear power potential in the newly developed "George Bush economy killer" class of Nuclear Submarine.

I assume you were jokingly being sarcastic in your last two replies! However if not, I invite you to take on a Stone Crab in a hand to claw wrestling match and see if you come out with all your' fingers intact.

BTW, in Florida the Stone Crab Season for harvesting claws is October 15th through May 15th and the season is still in effect in Florida. Therefore, the O.P. could harvest both claws if he wished (yes, both claws can be harvested legally but it has been the practice of many Stone Crabbers as we call them, to only harvest one claw when the crab is a female and there are some Stone Crabbers that will do the same even for male crabs) as a recreational harvester as long as the harvested claw or claws are at least 2 3/4 inches long and the crab is not a female with eggs. If an egg-bearing female is caught, she must be released immediately and no claws can be harvested from her.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/stone-crabs/

Frank

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should raise the notch and discrimination just a bit, hopefully that will help.
BTW, In Florida the marine patrol will pull you over in front of your driveway. In the 80's possession of that little guy was about $220, first offense), LOL, Today you probably would have to do some time. ( you are only allowed to harvest one left claw, )

In California we have Cougars, Bears and Mountain Lions. (Oh my)
Wrong...

State Waters Harvest Seasons:

Open Oct. 15 - May 15

Traps may be placed in the water 10 days prior to the opening of the season, but once placed, you may not tend to the traps until the start of the season, at which time you may begin harvesting.

Can both stone crab claws be harvested?

Yes. Both claws of a stone crab may be harvested lawfully if they are of legal size. Stone crab although it is currently lawful to harvest both of a stone crab's claws, this practice leaves the stone crab with few alternatives to defend itself from predators.

Although the crab can still obtain minimal amounts of food with no claws, having one claw (if the other one is harvested) will enable the crab to obtain greater amounts of food in a shorter amount of time. Stone crabs (like other crustaceans) have the ability to grow back their claws, but this process requires a large amount of energy in the form of food.

The quicker the crab can obtain the energy required to molt and grow its lost claw, the sooner this renewable delicacy will have another claw to replace the missing one.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/stone-crabs/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread