Dangerous Detecting. Whats Your Story?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it warms we also will have Mosquitos, flies, ticks, snakes, etc. then there are the large flocks of geese that leave poop on the ground and drop it from the sky as well (wet wipes come in handy).
Once in a while dogs not on a leash that are territorial in a public park.

Then there are.....people,
The biggest threat is flying lead from gang shootings. Hasn't happened to me yet but it's a very real possibility. That's why I like to hunt early Sunday mornings.

Tho it can happen anywhere ,anytime there are certain parts of the area I also hunt on Sunday's.

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sunnies will grab your leg and toe hair and give it a yank.... Minnesota is such a dangerous place. :)
I've been startled and or attacked by the following:
Mosquitos
Knats
Ticks
Black Flies
Leeches
Sunfish
Deer
Pheasants
Nosey Neighbors - but the worst by far, winning the most annoying award - goes to:
The Power tripping Park Rangers who don't understand their own laws.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:

Unless you believe in Ghosts, poison snakes, or psycho killers :tongue3:
[point being, I don't believe in them, so they are not where I hunt]

I don't know :dontknow:

Worst experiences I can think of were hunting drained 2' / 3' thick lake Mud
almost the consistency of quick sand.

View attachment 1149432

but those days were also my Favorite,
once I learned how to pop my feet free without leaving my shoes behind :tongue3:

or maybe warm Ground & Hot feet
in Centralia :dontknow: no flames of cave in happened to me though

Been there done that as well.

If that lake is like most around here there are Beer/soda cans & the tops of the Tin ones buried 1 foot + down to bed rock.
Not to mention all the other trash From Ketchup packs , Weights of all sizes, Foil, to Large Iron Pieces.
A true Nite- Mare.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I was thinking about the horrible winter a lot of us had. We could not wait for summer. We tend to forget the ticks, chiggers, and other miserable things that come with summer for most of us. I guess we just have to live with all these things. Never a perfect time . But, I still love it. Put on the spray and keep your eyes open. Happy hunting everyone!

We as Humans Love to Complain.LOL

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have late night hunted local beaches on more than a few occasions and been followed by several shady characters to the point I went in the water waist deep to get them off my trail, water hunting for 20 mins before they gave up and left. You don't want to be waist deep in Florida's waters at night either, "things that go bump in the night" can eat you...

I no longer worry about shady characters, I always go armed with .45 with hollow points when night hunting beaches now, in fact unless I'm hunting in the surf I'm always armed...

I marched out to the surf one night all by myself like nobody's business thinking oh yea I've got this. I only made it about knee deep before something went bump on my leg! You remember the movie where Richard Pryor walked on water? I tried to re-create that scene! Lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there done that as well.

If that lake is like most around here there are Beer/soda cans & the tops of the Tin ones buried 1 foot + down to bed rock.
Not to mention all the other trash From Ketchup packs , Weights of all sizes, Foil, to Large Iron Pieces.
A true Nite- Mare.

:laughing7: Believe it or not 3' deep Beer cans...
arms Length Plus My digger in my hand.
only place I had to lay on my side, cheek against the mud as I retrieved Cans :laughing7:
on mud the consistency of axle grease. sometimes digging wasn't needed. Just push hand in Mud a foot or so, grab the can & Pull up

DSCF0003.JPG

as I said I miss it

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing in waist deep water... talking to a hot chick is floating on a raft...

I took a step and felt the bottom move... then BAM... he nailed the side of my foot...

The girl nearly flipped out with fear because she knew something was in the water... she is thinkning shark...
I am knowing stingray...
I contorted my right foot up and bent it enough up to see small slit on side of my foot towards front... by my small toe...
She was like wwhat happened...
I was like I ALMOST got tagged by a ray...
No more than 30 seconds later... my foot all the way to my ankle started to throb...
I said... welp I got go and started to head in...
By the time I was getting out of surf... the throbbing had turned into extreme pain... and had risen to my knee...
by the time I got to my pile of stuff it was now in my groin...
by the time I walked to the edge of sand were a motel was... it was now in my chest...
At this time I realized I was having trouble getting my breath...
By the time I walked up to the hotel office... I was in trouble...
Owner of small hotel asked me... are you ok?
I said well no I was hit by a stingray...
She said oh no really... I will call the paramedics...
I was like no lady no paramedics... I was just stung by a stingray... not bitten by a shark...
She said... did you not hear about the guy who died last week here from same thing ?
I was like WHAT ? are you kidding me..?
She says... are you having trouble breathing?
(which was obvious at this point)... I said yes...
She said that is the BAD symptom.
So she called.
And they came.
Wow folks... All I can say is this...
You NEVER,,,, EVER... want to get hit.
It took me six months to recover from it.
And my foot was sore for a year.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the woods detecting ...
I ducked under a low branch and took about three swings... and I hear this sound... I could not figure out what it was...
It is like a weird motor hum... and it was getting louder...
I lokked forward and about 20 some odd feet in front of me was the biggest damn hornets nest I have ever seen... it was prolly 4 feet high and 6-8 foot long...
And they sensed I was there,,
They were "warning" me...
I froze.
And started stepping backwords... backed out under branch... turned and briskly walked... for a min...
THEN full out ran...
Beings I was a SOLID 3 minute run to car.
HAd I not heard them
I would have been killed.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap AARC...be careful!!!

So, back to my fire ant warning... I am also reminded not to place your headphones unknowingly on a nest... they really like it when you pick up the headphones and put them back on your ears...dammitman:BangHead:

So that happened to me today after work..I would be remiss if I didn't express the joy one feels in removing sandspurs from the knee, sock, thumb, glove, etc... I hate empty lots.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got chased by not only a bull once...
But also a mad crazy cow.
And have also been chased by an alligator once... and have come up on one half a dozen times or more.
Saw a bobcat once.
I have seen... brushed... and had "events" with so may shark I could not count them all.

I could do this all night :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, back to my fire ant warning... I am also reminded not to place your headphones unknowingly on a nest... they really like it when you pick up the headphones and put them back on your ears...dammitman:BangHead:

So that happened to me today after work..I would be remiss if I didn't express the joy one feels in removing sandspurs from the knee, sock, thumb, glove, etc... I hate empty lots.

OH god ! Ants...
Sheeeeeeeeeeesh... don't get me started... I sat on a tree trunk once while taking a break...
they were up my backside.
In my clothes...
I almost stripped down right there...
My buddy was dying lauging... he was barely able to stand he was laughing so hard.
I had red welts from my arse to the back of my neck...
BUT the "tender" sides were where it hurt most.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got swooped by something frigging big once...
I looked up and just saw black go through the trees... still wonder what the hell that was.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is "dangerous detecting" thread right... heh

I don't know why this popped in my head by once I was recovering a jar of coins for a guy on his fathers property...
I was walkimg through the woods checking out some potential trees...
All of a sudden I hear the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun ... I spin around... and there is a "good ole boy" with it leveled right at me...
I nearly crapped... I had a machete in my hand... I just dropped it.
He said WTF are you doing on my brothers property?
I was like "WHO"... lol
I said OH your freds brother... heh...
Fred cam yelling through the brush... Sh-T bro you scared the crap outta the boy. heh
Thought I was dead and buried.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL No Sandspurs here.

here it is "booba-lice"

Picture 067.jpg

Not painful though. they are just very hard to get rid of.
they cling to your Shoes, Socks, jeans, shirt, everything cloth.

Briars are a problem though.
They grow in very hard ground,
which means every place that had thousands of people
over the years most likely has been taken over by them.
I get a blood letting from them every time I hunt woods
briarpatch.jpg
& if you get in thick woods they almost come alive
as the more you twist & turn the more of them find their mark :tongue3:

it can get to the point it takes all your strength & you still have to remove each branch one by one to move out of the area.
they are like octopus tenticals only razor sharp [I'm Surprised
I never found a skeleton in them

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things look like "hitch hikers"... a guy i know once said" beggars lice"...
Hmmm
They look like green and brown "calzones"or a "hot pocket" ... only very mini.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things look like "hitch hikers"... a guy i know once said" beggars lice"...
Hmmm
They look like green and brown "calzones"or a "hot pocket" ... only very mini.

they have allot of names . here in Coal country (Coal Speak)
lists these
boogie-lice : those weird seed pod things that got stuck in your clothes, especially sweaters and socks, and were nearly impossible to get out. A note from our "Dutchman" friend: this word derives from the German dialect word, Buwwe-leis. Also called "boo-jaggers" or "booba-lice". In South Carolina, these are called "beggar lice".
"booba-lice" is what my Mom used to say "Your all covered in booba-lice" :laughing7: so it stuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions