ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they have allot of names . here in Coal country (Coal Speak)
lists these
boogie-lice : those weird seed pod things that got stuck in your clothes, especially sweaters and socks, and were nearly impossible to get out. A note from our "Dutchman" friend: this word derives from the German dialect word, Buwwe-leis. Also called "boo-jaggers" or "booba-lice". In South Carolina, these are called "beggar lice".
"booba-lice" is what my Mom used to say "Your all covered in booba-lice" :laughing7: so it stuck

"Pain in arse" is what they should have named them.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Biggest danger I've come accross is at the beach, stepped in quick sand a few times. Luckily I was aware early and got out, once I was almost too slow. A long scoop always helps.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing in waist deep water... talking to a hot chick is floating on a raft...

I took a step and felt the bottom move... then BAM... he nailed the side of my foot...

The girl nearly flipped out with fear because she knew something was in the water... she is thinkning shark...
I am knowing stingray...
I contorted my right foot up and bent it enough up to see small slit on side of my foot towards front... by my small toe...
She was like wwhat happened...
I was like I ALMOST got tagged by a ray...
No more than 30 seconds later... my foot all the way to my ankle started to throb...
I said... welp I got go and started to head in...
By the time I was getting out of surf... the throbbing had turned into extreme pain... and had risen to my knee...
by the time I got to my pile of stuff it was now in my groin...
by the time I walked to the edge of sand were a motel was... it was now in my chest...
At this time I realized I was having trouble getting my breath...
By the time I walked up to the hotel office... I was in trouble...
Owner of small hotel asked me... are you ok?
I said well no I was hit by a stingray...
She said oh no really... I will call the paramedics...
I was like no lady no paramedics... I was just stung by a stingray... not bitten by a shark...
She said... did you not hear about the guy who died last week here from same thing ?
I was like WHAT ? are you kidding me..?
She says... are you having trouble breathing?
(which was obvious at this point)... I said yes...
She said that is the BAD symptom.
So she called.
And they came.
Wow folks... All I can say is this...
You NEVER,,,, EVER... want to get hit.
It took me six months to recover from it.
And my foot was sore for a year.

I can see where the hot chick had you flustered to the point of not remembering to shuffle your feet instead of taking steps! It has saved me more than once from being hit.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twas slightly embarrassing for me...
Here I am trying to look all "cool" etc.
heh
:)
After I got hit... I was relieved when all I saw was a small slit in my foot... and no barb.
Man... I thought... oh good ... he ALMOST got me...
Boy was I wrong...
I would hate to get "full effect"...
I was extremely lucky.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a friend detected a local woods around a pond and when i got home was watch the news and someone had wounded a sow grizzly and the area was closed. We didn't see her but did see tracks.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm deathly allergic to bee stings. We have some nasty yellow jacket ground nests that are tough to see. If I get stung a few times I'm in serious trouble in about 20 minutes. I've got my epi pen but I'm often miles in the woods or on an island that I've canoed or boated to.
I walked up on a bear once having an eel for lunch on the river bank. Luckily no Cubs around. Probably the most dangerous part of my detecting is the terrain. I'm constantly on the edges or sheer drop offs or trying to detect steep banks that go down into the water. If you want the good stuff you gotta get into some sketchy spots. Be safe out the Tnetters

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW man....you're livin' life on the edge!!:censored:
I am in the woods detecting ...
I ducked under a low branch and took about three swings... and I hear this sound... I could not figure out what it was...
It is like a weird motor hum... and it was getting louder...
I lokked forward and about 20 some odd feet in front of me was the biggest damn hornets nest I have ever seen... it was prolly 4 feet high and 6-8 foot long...
And they sensed I was there,,
They were "warning" me...
I froze.
And started stepping backwords... backed out under branch... turned and briskly walked... for a min...
THEN full out ran...
Beings I was a SOLID 3 minute run to car.
HAd I not heard them
I would have been killed.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to write a booklet!! It would sell a million copies!! I'd be the first in line for one!! ROTFLMAO!!:headbang:
This is "dangerous detecting" thread right... heh

I don't know why this popped in my head by once I was recovering a jar of coins for a guy on his fathers property...
I was walkimg through the woods checking out some potential trees...
All of a sudden I hear the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun ... I spin around... and there is a "good ole boy" with it leveled right at me...
I nearly crapped... I had a machete in my hand... I just dropped it.
He said WTF are you doing on my brothers property?
I was like "WHO"... lol
I said OH your freds brother... heh...
Fred cam yelling through the brush... Sh-T bro you scared the crap outta the boy. heh
Thought I was dead and buried.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been MDing a long time...
And I never even told the stories of when in S.C. I was removing live ordinance...
Nothing like popping live crap outta the ground...
I would drop my scoop and detector and run every time... and stand there waiting...
Nothing ever "went off"... but damn your heart is pumping.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In 46 years i have never had any kind of trouble,but one time a fat little kid, of maybe 9 years old jumped across the hole i had dug.
He landed right on top of my White`s coil and put a big crack in it.
I would have beat him up ....but he had 2 friends with him....so i left.
Gary

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Believe it or not 3' deep Beer cans...
arms Length Plus My digger in my hand.
only place I had to lay on my side, cheek against the mud as I retrieved Cans :laughing7:
on mud the consistency of axle grease. sometimes digging wasn't needed. Just push hand in Mud a foot or so, grab the can & Pull up

View attachment 1149608

as I said I miss it

Those cans are a bit older than the ones I was talking about.
The lake I refer to was made in the late 40's or early 50 's , So the Duck Bill tabs & the & the long skinny type that was used before that. Go on the types of cans that are most common in the lake.
Many of the inlets that were orig, 10+ feet deep Are now 3-5 feet deep ( at full pool) cause of uncontrolled Development around the lake...A common thing I suppose.
Don't see many cans like that around here.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Truly Despise SHOT GUN BRASS, I LOATHE THEM ACTUALLY!.
Dug about 20 more of them False Buttons Today.
Davers

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
had a mt.lion follow my wife and I back to the truck...I was armed but not so sure I had any hope of stopping that cat if it wanted us.Scared my wife out of the woods untill she went to firearm classes and now packs her own heat.
Was a beautiful sight once in the truck but I was pretty scared till we got there.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been MDing a long time...
And I never even told the stories of when in S.C. I was removing live ordinance...
I would drop my scoop and detector and run every time... and stand there waiting...

I just don't care for things that can go BOOM, small arms ammo doesn't bother me anymore but there was a time it even made shiver for a bit. Anything bigger coming out of the ground would probably produce dirt in the shorts.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 46 years i have never had any kind of trouble,but one time a fat little kid, of maybe 9 years old jumped across the hole i had dug.
He landed right on top of my White`s coil and put a big crack in it.
I would have beat him up ....but he had 2 friends with him....so i left.
Gary

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I do most of my detecting in town. As such, my concerns are typically people and dogs. Dogs must be kept on a leash in most parks here by law, but no one obeys it and no one enforces it. The dogs bother me less than the people honestly. Situational awareness goes a long way toward dealing with both.

That gave me a chuckle. When I first started metal detecting back in my Navy days, I spent some time hitting a long-abandoned 600 yard firing line on the outdoor rifle range that had since been reclaimed by the woods; most people no longer knew that it was there (research and all that!) and it was absolutely virgin. I dug up some really cool stuff that afternoon, but as I wandered off the berm into the thicker woods, I began finding fragments and grenade spoons. This was unexpected, as my research had indicated that explosives had never been used there. After a few more targets, I found firm evidence that my sources were absolutely incorrect and got the hell out of there. Ordnance from WWII and before does not always respond well to EM fields and seldom improves with age.

I never got around to hitting the upper area of the facility where all of the non-shooting activities took place, which is unfortunate. We made a lot of interesting eyeball finds up there. I wish that I could go back.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once, while beach detecting, I met a very attractive woman that asked me if I had found anything of value that a pretty lady might like to be given? I intensely dislike gold diggers, so I used a great line by Rodney Dangerfield. I grabbed some of the change I had found and asked her if she wanted to make eighty-five cents....the hard way. Needless to say, she got pissed and walked off.

The only other danger I found myself in while detecting was in a canyon in the Sheephole Mountains (near Twenty-Nine Palms Marine Base in Cali). There are a bunch of old mines in this canyon, and I was detecting down the middle of the dry bed. I got to some sand that was very solid feeling, and found a cat print bigger than my hand (and my hands aren't small). I had been up this canyon a bunch of times and never found anything more scary than a rattler. Because of that, I wasn't carrying a sidearm. I had my detector in one hand and rock pick in the other. I walked backwards and climbed down dry waterfalls looking backwards for about two miles. I saw her a few times, but she never tried to get close to me. I figured she had a litter in one of those old mines, and was just making sure I didn't get too close. I ALWAYS carry now.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike your story reminds me of when I was hiking in Colorado in the early 70s after a light dusting of snow. I was on a wide ledge in a canyon taking pictures of the canyon, as I came around a blind bend on the ledge I came upon some fresh cat tracks in the snow as you described, they scared the hell out of me, I had no weapons other than my Canon AE1 and that isn't much of a weapon. I went back the way I had come as quickly as possible..

Alamosmoon

Dec 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dangerous Detecting. What's Your Story?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions