towing metal detectors underwater

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been toying with the idea of towing a metal detector in the shallows with a small boat. Maybe rent a detector to tow. But first I want to know what's out their for good detectors and what they have to offer. So any of the harder to find detector sites will help me out a lot. Even information on the different detectors. I have a mile by a mile area that I want to check out. Also interested in a Hookah rig for my kayak. Two divers to 50 feet. Any suggestions on that diving rig. Thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
frankie, didn't you bring this subject up before, awhile back ? I recall a long thread about this notion/idea.

What exactly are you looking for, in that type idea? Ie.: individual coins/rings? A shipwreck ? Or ... ?

To "drag" a detector along a bottom, from a drifting boat above, is almost useless. Because the moment you think you heard a "beep", you have no way to swing back and forth, to isolate size , to confirm, etc... Since you're "drifting", you can't "stay on target". And the bottom of most water-ways is littered with targets (cans, iron, junk, etc...), such that you'd end up just pulling your hair out.

And if it's shipwreck type stuff you're after, then maybe it's not a conventional detector you want to pull around anyhow ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions