best pin pointer

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tried out the new Garret Pro pointer AT the other day and it works great. I paid $128 brand new. Also has a neat orange color and its waterproof to 10 feet. It only took me 2 minutes to figure out how it works.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the plain old Garrett just fine and have just recently bought a used Pistol Probe which I'm liking even more because it has better depth. The downside is the Pistol Probe doesn't vibrate and it is huge! The one I don't like is the Minelab and I have a slightly used one I may sell if interested.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet, Craig.

Back in the day, there were no pinpointers, then they started hitting the market a few years ago, and now they are an indispensable tool. They are particularly useful for land hunting, when you are doing plugs and trying to keep your holes small. That's about the only time I use mine. I don't use it when water hunting - I just dont think its necessary. I also dont use one in turned-over fields. Its faster and easier to wave handfuls of soil over the coil.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Garrett Pro-Pointer. Its the most talked-about, and most common pinpointer out there. It is rugged and durable, and there have been a lot of mods and customizations for it.

OP
OP
T

treasureaddict

Apr 17, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats the secret for pull tabs sure did find alot of them yesterday? they ring in like gold rings , correct? i have a garrett at pro

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to dig pultabs unless you want to leave gold behind. It does t matter if you have a Compadre or a CTX 3030. I've tried them all and yes you can be fairly certain on fresh shallow pultabs, but you are never 100% sure without quickly popping it out of the ground. Same with zinc penny's. They can ring up exactly like a class ring. The worse thing you can do is buy a machine and notch out beaver tails, pultabs, and zincs. You'll leave a large percentage of gold behind, but if it's clad and silver you're after that's ok.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also unless you plan on wading over your knees in water there are much lighter better balanced options out there than the AT. Jmho!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep does the Garrett Carrot go, compared to the White's TRX?? :dontknow:

Last edited:

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I have been MDing most of my life and I started reading everything I could find on Pin Pointers. I ordered a Garrett Pro-Pointer at Kellyco three weeks ago and in three days I had it. It is the best money I ever spent for part of my MD tools.

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GARRETT PROPOINTER AT Works Great! 3 levels of sensitivity makes it easy to dial in on a target. As far as waterproof the NOKTA Pointer works very well also. It has 9 levels of sensitivity and is waterproof to 3ft.:skullflag:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett has the best pin pointer. Either the regular or the new AT. You don't need to worry about depth with a pin pointer. That is what your metal detector is for. The pin pointer is to help locate the target once the plug is dug. And believe me it will save you tons of time. Especially if you are trying to locate something very small like a civil war percussion cap. I have two and working on getting the new Garrett AT after seeing one used in the field.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments Gents....my MDing buddy claimed the Garrett Carrot didn't go as deep as the TRX. I was on the fence about which one to buy, now I know. :occasion14:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we all have different experiences with pinpointers. I have been through 2 garretts and both went south after a couple of months. have had 0 problems with the minelab and the white's.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the comments Gents....my MDing buddy claimed the Garrett Carrot didn't go as deep as the TRX. I was on the fence about which one to buy, now I know. :occasion14:

The new Garretts pointer won't get close to the TRX in actual detection depth, yet the TRX is tip only detection, not sides. The new GPP ony exceeds the original GPP by maybe half an inch in detection depth...maybe.

Whites doesn't call the TRX wateproof, so subversion depth should be considered zero.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Garretts pointer won't get close to the TRX in actual detection depth, yet the TRX is tip only detection, not sides. The new GPP ony exceeds the original GPP by maybe half an inch in detection depth...maybe.

Whites doesn't call the TRX wateproof, so subversion depth should be considered zero.

Only detecting on the tip is a big plus .

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Garrett Carrot

250px-FlamingCarrot[1].jpg

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you McKinney!! That is the exact answer I was looking for. My MDing buddy said the Garrett Carrot wouldn't go as deep as the TRX (up to 5"). I thought he was full of baloney....I guess he wasn't!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread