Uh Oh...another reason to hate pulltabs?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too funny to think the bane of our hobby, and more so now.

In the link it shows a timeline for tabs, when was the two round circle (one bigger one smaller) type around?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I can honestly say that I have found every single dadburn one of them,WORST invention ever made!

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too funny to think the bane of our hobby, and more so now.

In the link it shows a timeline for tabs, when was the two round circle (one bigger one smaller) type around?

Are you talking about examples # 10, 11, 12, 13 in this pic?
pull-tabs-6-14-12.jpg

Here's a thread from a few years ago

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/299550-pull-tab-collection-info-tips.html

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told by NP rangers, and Corp of Engineers police that I was restricted from metal detecting in certain areas because I might disturb historic artifacts that were presumed to be in the area. Now my question is will they now restrict even more areas because I might dig up an old pull tab? As far as that goes, I'm a historic relic myself and maybe they ought to let historic relics find other historic relics but restrict people from those areas who are not yet old enough to be a historic relic themselves.
I'd be cool with that, and then those old beach areas would be overrun by old codgers, like myself, diddling around with detectors pulling out the coins and gold and tossing those precious historic artifacts back into the holes for the government funded archaeologists to dig up later on and write long official reports about how they surmise that people from that era drank a lot of canned drinks. They could then display pull tab collections in government funded museums so that all you younger people could wonder what the heck is actually going on.
While your enjoying the museum, I'll be at home counting my coins and admiring the rings I found, feeling pretty smug even though I had to leave all those artifacts behind.
Is that NUTS or what!?!?!? Cheers!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No none of the above, the can had two push in type tabs, the smaller was the vent hole and the larger was for drinking out of. Maybe made only in Canada-pitty.:) Here's what I'm trying to explain, found it!

5uqlg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close, I have found a few of these early ones. I have found some other types not shown in that photo either.
View attachment 1149687

They call them artifacts, I call them litter.

They are absolutely litter. Really pretty sad to see how many were just tossed to the ground in some spots. I guess with those very early one's, at least you can be a little more hopeful about finding silver among them?

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been told by NP rangers, and Corp of Engineers police that I was restricted from metal detecting in certain areas because I might disturb historic artifacts that were presumed to be in the area. Now my question is will they now restrict even more areas because I might dig up an old pull tab? As far as that goes, I'm a historic relic myself and maybe they ought to let historic relics find other historic relics but restrict people from those areas who are not yet old enough to be a historic relic themselves.
I'd be cool with that, and then those old beach areas would be overrun by old codgers, like myself, diddling around with detectors pulling out the coins and gold and tossing those precious historic artifacts back into the holes for the government funded archaeologists to dig up later on and write long official reports about how they surmise that people from that era drank a lot of canned drinks. They could then display pull tab collections in government funded museums so that all you younger people could wonder what the heck is actually going on.
While your enjoying the museum, I'll be at home counting my coins and admiring the rings I found, feeling pretty smug even though I had to leave all those artifacts behind.

:occasion14:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Historic, like in......................ancient?:laughing7:

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sucked a few,well,maybe more than a few of those down in my years.

I'm probably lucky I never came across this type...last thing I needed was anything that helped me consume more beer in less time.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
They are absolutely litter. Really pretty sad to see how many were just tossed to the ground in some spots.

It's lucky now that they stay on the can, still people just rip the tab off and throw it on the ground, better yet, instead of just the pulltab they throw the whole can!!! They are litter but if they are protected it will be frowned upon to pick them up, that goes against everything I have learned, pick up litter, don't leave it for future generations to deal with!!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever me or my son get a pull tab tone we yell out "gotta ring signal over here" we dig a lot of tabs but we have gotten some rings

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo... The 50 year old pull tab is now protected, does that include the entire can?
I would be more than willing to rebury it, :laughing7:, but then how do I know that particular one is 50? :icon_scratch:
The archeologists are going to get sooooo far behind in their artifact cataloging.

You'd think they would be more concerned about the zincs which are deteriorating at an extremely rapid rate. They are now reading as trash...or my detector has had enough and doesn't want to even read them any more! :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :laughing7:

Anything to try and ruin other people's fun, does it ever end? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread