Problems with my Garrett

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I have a CX Plus. The last two outings have given me some problems. For no obvious reason, my detector will start beeping wildly, and jumping back and forth on the meter. It'll do it for ten to fifteen seconds and stop for a few seconds, then start again. Battery life reads four out of five bars. Tghe only common denomenator is the grass was wet. Any clues?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there an invisible dog fence nearby?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe coil has a slight crack and, the moister from the wet grass got in side....just a guess .
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None that I know of. it did it in three seperate locations, although the locations are pretty close to one another.

OP
OP
P

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be. It didn't overload at first, and I tried to keep the coil dry, but the grass was a little high and soaked. i can't see a crack, but it may be in the coil cover seam. Is there anything I could spray on it to repel moisture? Silicone spray maybe. If I can find the crack, I'll just put a little piece of duct tape on it. I'll probably buy a new coil anyway, but I want to use it in the meantime.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can use a spray can of truck bedliner...works great...Ive had same thing in the past

OP
OP
P

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea bigfoot 1!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say maybe there was black sand inside the coil cover but I guess you found the problem.

OP
OP
P

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so. Thanks!

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett Scorpion will do the exact same thing on wet grass. I thought it was a crack as well until it did it with a coil cover on.

Perhaps still a crack along the seam I figured. Nope....does it with a brand new 3X7 coil and a 4.5 round. Both crack free and sealed up tight.

All 3 coils do fine submerged up to the control box and have no issues with wet sand/dirt around the grassy area. It is just the wet grass itself that makes it sound off. Have to hold it 1/2 inch above it to make it stop.

I have seen a couple guys with AT Pro's talk about it happening with their brand new crack-free coils as well. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
P

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does seem that it's only in wet grass. I'll cover it next time out and see what happens. Thanks guys!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to check the batteries like Johnnycat mentioned, one might be weak.

I remember reading something about Faraday Shielding and something to do with wet grass.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there done that.

I charge my LI-Ions before each trip and drain them completely in between trips with a few Pak-Lites left on overnight. It even does it with new alkaline batteries as well.

All 3 coils would have bad shielding or cracks which seems impossible since 2 of 3 were brand new never used.

Only seen Garrett machines do it....so far my Scorp...a couple AT Pros....and now this CX Plus.

Cannot imagine all 3 having the same issues since they are completely different machines....but the fact they are all from Garrett raises my eyebrow. Perhaps all 3 had bad batches of coil shielding? I know Scorp coils all have a graphite type powder coat for shielding on the inside. No clue about the AT or CX coils...I would think they are similar however.

Underwater works great.....wet grass and it will false like crazy.

To be honest I gave up wondering why as I have gone over everything. I just stay away from grass after rain or sprinklers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions