My Homemade Digging Tool

RossPeplow

Greenie
Mar 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do quite a lot of digging on lawns and parks so I use a small trowel instead of a spade to minimise damage. Obviously most gardening trowels don't last very long when used to cut into sometimes very tuff turf.

Now I know I could just go out and buy a purpose made metal detecting trowel but I wanted to try and make one myself.

I started off with my old Roughneck 27-inch shovel and I don't use much.

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 16.40.50.png

I simply cut the blade profile I wanted with an angle grinder and tidied up the edges with a Dremel.

profile.png
overview.png

Then I removed the handle and inserted the old handle from my old garden trowel.

fin.png

I'm really pleased with the result, its only a bit bigger than a garden trowel but its VERY robust and can take some real abuse and due to the longer handle it provides some good leverage compared to my old trowel.

On its first use I was amazed how easily it cuts into the hard soil.

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI
Thanks for the idea! I found an old shovel the other day with a broken handle.Now I can fashion a digger instead of purchasing an expesive replacement handle.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you can't find it, custom make it yourself is great! Necessity is the mother of invention.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea. I have this same shovel and the D handle broke off a while back. Gonna chop it up today. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread