I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah. When I'm bummed out and draggin and say "one last dig" it's usually a wad of foil or a pulltab.

Whan I'm not alone I'm the only one not finding anything. Whan I hunt alone I still think I come in second.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
When circumstances are at their worst and my need for something is most dire, only then do I get what I desire. (No I don't talk like that in real life. :D )

Usually, I just try to loose myself in other things, like when gold panning. I'm not really paying much attention and just going through the routine of panning and shoveling, then suddenly I find something worthwhile, (or I get knocked off my camp stool by a small log that was headed downstream and loose most of my days finds). Such is life.

F.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted to Dredge for gold, that would suck getting knocked off your seat from a log. Have you ever been hurt?

Seems like I am the only one that see's improvements with more people or last finds. I know thats not true cause I have seen other posts saying. "I was ready to go and my last dig was a such and such silver or gold"
Maybe everyone is just not noticing this.

In that case you all have home work, hunt a place alone. When your ready to go dig one more hit. Also hunt that same place with someone with you. They don't even have to be hunting. Again dig one more hit when your ready to go. See if your finds change, increase or decrease.

Thank you everyone !! ;D
Keep @ it and HH!!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
It goes both ways for me. Once I am zoned in and my pinpointing is on, I can just keep hunting even though there are people everywhere! I prefer the peace and quiet, but as you said sometimes for some odd reason you sometimes start finding more when people are around.

I think the stories about it was my last dig of the day is is how we all justify staying until we find something good or hit a certain total. ;)

T

TreasureTales

Usually when I'm hunting with someone I notice a competition arises - not planned mind you, it just seems to happen. Then I'll usually find more stuff (although not necessarily better stuff) because I'm really tuned into the desire to find something better than my hunting companion. When alone, I really am more into enjoying the whole experience, and there is no internal pressure to "succeed" or "exceed," so I don't put so much thought and energy into finding stuff. Although, there are many times when I'm just enjoying the whole thing that I find something good - really good - and am totally surprised by my good luck. It is like fishing for me - when I'm kind of daydreaming I get the best strike. When I really want a good strike, I often strike out. Weird!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Ever notice that your luck or finds increases. When you have more people around you and are not alone. Also when your bumbed out and done for the day with no finds. You say its your last dig and you get something good.

I rarely detect with anyone as I enjoy hunting alone..I don't like hunting with people gawking at me as well, so I try to avoid contact with anyone while I detect..maybe I should try that (hunting with people around) so I have better luck!

On long hunts, my last dig is usually something good because I'm usually so tired at that point..when I find my ring after hours of bending and digging, I say to myself "Ok, I'm done for today!" and I'm more than happy to go home.

TreasureTales said:
When alone, I really am more into enjoying the whole experience, and there is no internal pressure to "succeed" or "exceed," so I don't put so much thought and energy into finding stuff. Although, there are many times when I'm just enjoying the whole thing that I find something good - really good - and am totally surprised by my good luck. It is like fishing for me - when I'm kind of daydreaming I get the best strike. When I really want a good strike, I often strike out. Weird!

Sounds much like my experience in the hobby..the fishing analogy is accurate for me as well.

Nat

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mud and my other TH'ing friends
I've had a few days of I'm not leaving until I find something; and it is usually as I am headed back to my truck. I once found a mercury dime as my last target of the day and once found a 1865 S Seated Half as I was calling it a day. Once I spent the better part of a day on a Civil War battle field pulling lots of canon ball frags and was all of ready to pack it in when i got a target on the way back to the truck that ended up being a fired 58 Cal Three ringer.
As for finding more items when lots of others are around I find the opposite to be true; one of my two TH'ing buddies usually calls it a day around 11 am and right after he leaves I will find something good. My TH'ing buddy accuses me of planting my better finds as this seems to be the case but I swear it is not so. I dig every signal and recycle what I don't keep.
Keep digging up those targets and you will find the deeper items.
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread