Lost a treasure today....

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
I apologize ahead of time, this isn't a post about something found. I actually lost something today. My wife's grandfather, the man who introduced me to and got me hooked on metal detecting, passed away this afternoon after a long battle with COPD. He was an awesome individual with a zest for life. By nature he was an outdoorsman and having been born and raised in Alabama he had an extreme love of the south and of the history behind the civil war. He was an Army veteran and a devoted husband of more than 60 years! His family always came first and he enjoyed every second he got to spend with each and every one of them. Once his body got to the point where he couldn't venture outside any longer he passed his Garrett GTAx 1000 down to me and a new detectorist was born! I enjoyed finding stuff and taking it over to show him and before I ever had a chance to look it up he could tell exactly what it was and roughly what years it was from. I'll miss the conversations we had and the encouragement he gave me every time we discussed the hobby. It's a sad day, but out of his passing he breathed new life and enthusiasm into me which I plan on passing on to my girls and so on and so on! So with that, Guy Smith (Papa to my daughters) I thank you for your service to your country, I thank you for getting me involved in such an awesome hobby, thank you for being such a good friend and I thank you most of all for being such a devoted and loving husband, father, grandfather and especially great grandfather! You will be missed! RIP

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430097354.730232.jpg

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear of your loss. But it's great to hear about your relationship to a man who gave you a gift that he was passionate about. I'm sure he appreciated the time you spent together as well. God Bless you both.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe you could have said it any better. My condolences to you and the family.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy to hear how much you loved and respected the man. So few are the people in our lives that truly make a difference. He sounds like the sort of person most any of us would have been proud to call friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautifully said! My heart goes out to you and your family and I feel inspired from your words, to be as good of a person I can be.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wonderful eulogy for someone I assume was part of the greatest generation. You and your family have my condolences.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss. We are all mortal, but you are never gone as long as you are remembered. Sounds like your wife's Grandfather will live on in your memories of him.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear of your loss, may his shared knowledge live through you and passed on.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. However it was great to see that you brought him joy by getting involved in his last days. His work and family ethic is slowly fading away in today's society. Hats off to a great veteran who will be sorely missed!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our prayers for you and your family. He has passed on but the things in life he cared about go on, in all of you, his love, compassion, enthusiasm, and joy in life. God Bless.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. Family and friends are our greatest treasure of all.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only imagine the stories he took with him.
Sorry for your loss.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Most sincerest sympathies to you and your family ! He was a true treasure to and for your family !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions