Crowdcontrol

Greenie
Apr 27, 2015
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So shortly after i turned 21 I decided to help out a little bit with my great grandparents. They were both suffering from alzheimers and dementia. Their place was a farm that they had bought and lived on since the early 40's. We knew sending them to live in a home would definitely not be beneficial, and frankly very expensive. So i moved in with them, cooked them meals, washed their clothes, took them 22 miles one way to town for doctors appointments etc. My great grandfather was still fairly active for being in his early 90s. We would sit outside on a bench in the shade and he would tell me stories from way back when they first got the farm, and how the tree we were sitting under he planted himself. His memory of recent events wasn't very good at all. For instance he couldn't tell you most days what we had for breakfast or what day of the week it was, but he could vividly remember things from his high school years and so on. Well aside from upkeep on farm buildings and taking care of the few animals they still had, like 3 horses and about 2 dozen hens, things got pretty boring around there. Lots of gameshows and the weather channel. So on a whim I decided that buying a metal detector could be a good way to spend time outside and might even yield some good stuff. After it came in the mail I put it together and went outside right away. Grampa was sitting on the bench, and watched me out of the corner of his eye as i combed over the yard. I got a signal and ran over to the machine shed to grab a gardening trowel and started digging. What i found was a band bearing my grandfathers name and address and the number 61. I brought it over to him and he told me it was a foot band for the geese they used to raise shortly after they bought the farm. The number 61 was also their phone number at the time. He told me all about the geese they had and even had bunches of pictures in the photo album he showed me. He talked about those geese for what seemed like hours. It was nice to see him and gramma light up as they talked about how things used to be and my gramma commented with a big smile that her arthritis was a direct result of plucking those geese by hand. So anytime that I had some free time i would go out metal detecting to see what i could find, and if i found something i always ran it in to them so they (in most cases) could identify it right away and then start a rant about whatever it was and how they used it. I remember one time especially finding an old set of sheep sheers. My grandpa was delighted to see these and told me all about how careful you needed to be because "If you weren't careful, you'd better know how to sew". Some of my fondest memories of them came as a direct result of this hobby. So thats what got me hooked and why I continue to dig up things as often as I can.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super great story :)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super great story :)

Ditto, super great story! You decided to keep your grandfather's mind sharp and just like magic you found a new enjoyment. A win win for you both! Not everyone has, or takes, the time to enjoy their grandparents, what a shame. Hats off to you!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job! You brought pieces of their past to them, and they were the living breathing encyclopedia of finds for you!

When we dig up relics we often wish we had a knowledgeable person there to tell us what it is and it's use, living history interrupter.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there were a "Banner" for stories, you'd have my vote.
Well done!
Peace ✌

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best poet of the week.
Thanks for sharing that.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing better than getting a history lesson from someone who was really there. Well done! HH:thumbsup:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and awesome memories. Good on ya. I'm sure you made your grandparents day quite a few times.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful story and very well written, thank you.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to know that someone appreciates his family. And knows that just because a person may be used that they aren't used up. Banner grandson!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

mag315

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real treasure was those priceless stories, they are worth much more than gold.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be getting to that point too, I cannot remember yesterday but remember times of my youth and as a young man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread