Beach horror story and inquiry

gtfd47

Apr 10, 2007
Northeast MA
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt
Quick story, 2 years ago, prior to starting MD'ing, I was walking my dog on the beach barefoot and had the unfortunate experience of stepping on a hypodermic needle buried in the sand. I did the three month test deal for HIV and Hep and all the other good stuff and thank god, everything came back neg. I know there are many beach hunters out there, and infinite amount of beach, so my question, out of curiosity, is if, and how many of you have seen or turned up needles on the beach? Kind of morbid, but since it happened to me, Im sure it can happen to somebody else. Be careful and happy hunting.

goose

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
OOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! Thanks for the tip but I'm sure there are many out there who really enjoy walking along the beach barefoot. It's really a shame things have gotten the way they are.

bushido

Greenie
Feb 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
DFX
That has never happened to me but you sure have me thinking now. When I am beach hunting I usually don't wear gloves. I guess all you old timers out there can remember the time when all you had to worry about was a cut from a piece of glass or sharp metal. It's a shame you have to worry about life threatening diseases now a days! Take care everybody...Paul

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumble, mumble >:( Whats wrong with people, can't they think. How hard is it to know when and where to toss something in the trash. Especially for likely drug needels, its a good thing we are here to take the hit and clean it up for everyone else. Happy you came back negative and found the needel before some kid.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a pair of zip up wading shoes with thick rubber soles when hunting on beaches. I didn't use to until I discovered all the broken glass that is out in the water just off the beaches. Now there's hypo needles to worry about too! I wear gloves when digging on dry land. I didn't until I found out I had a soil allergy but since then I have found all knids of sharp objects from glass to nails to sharp pieces of lawnmower slaw. I didn't use knee pads until I kneeled down in a patch of goatheads.....those very nasty little hard lumps with three sharp points. Ouch! I had to learn the hard way! Don't be like me, take precautions. Monty

T

TreasureTales

I've only gone barefoot on the beach once in my entire life. Too many horror stories to make me want to take a chance. An ounce of prevention.... I always wear gloves when treasure hunting and I usually wear thick soled shoes. I couldn't care less how I look, I want to be safe. Before all the hypodermic needles, there was still tetanus so even in the early 70's I wore gloves and sturdy shoes when metal detecting and looking for treasure sites. Here in California we've had several cases of flesh eating bacteria, so that is another reason to err on the side of caution and wear gloves - particularly when digging in moist soil and freshwater beach areas. The bacteria destroys flesh so quickly, it can destroy a person's hand in an hour!! Be safe out there!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ever found one.
not on a beach though, it was in a parking lot
at a lake, & I found it by Eye.

I had shoes on & just picked it up & put it
in the Trash.
I'm sure it was from someone who needed it
for Health reasons. No druggies around here.

Sorry about your Scare Goose.
I'm Glad to hear everything come out OK.

JEFF

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats scary. glad to hear you are ok.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common thing needles where i hunt like finding an old medical dump where the Army just buried everything. :-[

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
aa be very careful very careful---the army medical waste dump ---you can have that "spot"---all by yourself --- :P :P :P ---just do be careful around there.

Dinker

Apr 19, 2007
Dublin, Ga
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I asked the question a few weeks ago about needles and syringes. We drove from Middle Georgia all the way to Vero beach and I was amazed at the trash. There were several needles that looked as if they had washed up on the beach. Someone posted that the Cruise Ships dump their waste just off shore. That is terrible. We tried to pick up as much as we could, but we began to have a beach clean-up instead of a treasure hunting trip.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I always wear wading boots (kelvar ) we have some nasty stingrays here too and they can give a nasty infection and painful as hell

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
There are needles on the beach, no doubt about it. I have personally removed two needles (very carefully). One was found during a beach clean up, with a bunch of cub scouts. I was the one who found the needle. We had warned the cubs not to touch anything that looked like a needle before the clean up stated. Another time I was detecting and spotted one and promptly removed it.

I believe some of it washes up from medical trash that is dumped in the ocean, but can not prove it. I always were shoes on the beach, not because of needles, because the sand in Florida can get very HOT.

Be careful out there.

Happy and Safe Hunting.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
gtfd47 said:
Quick story, 2 years ago, prior to starting MD'ing, I was walking my dog on the beach barefoot and had the unfortunate experience of stepping on a hypodermic needle buried in the sand. I did the three month test deal for HIV and Hep and all the other good stuff and thank god, everything came back neg. I know there are many beach hunters out there, and infinite amount of beach, so my question, out of curiosity, is if, and how many of you have seen or turned up needles on the beach? Kind of morbid, but since it happened to me, Im sure it can happen to somebody else. Be careful and happy hunting.

goose
i never go barefooted.see needles on the beach along with lots of medical things.i heard some companies have dumped trash way out in the water,also damn junkies are everyhere too

kroche22

Greenie
May 11, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Needles are found often here on the CT beaches. Most are washed up. I have seen some filled with sand. Many have the needles broken off. I would like to think most were for medical purposes, but my heads not in the sand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread