Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 80's I found several sliver dimes at 10", but that was about my deepest on coins.

I did find a balled up cigarette pack elbow deep, which measured at 15".

Those were dug in Northwest Ohio. I've found nothing deeper than 6" here in Southwest Virginia = clay and rocky soil.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug the half dime that is on my avatar at about 9' maybe 10 inches down.that was the deepest coin I ever dug.

Last edited:

leomessi

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o.png

:laughing7::laughing7::occasion14:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set right ?
12.5 coil ?
Sand ?
?
I would imagine you beach hunters have to dig down quite a ways for allot of your targets?I have never hunted a beach,but i have dug modern cans and large iron a pretty good ways down in some of these sand bottom creeks around here.And It can get quite exhausting.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins do not go that deep where I am, I have found colonial coppers just under the surface.

Great point. I've found three 1700's half reals and all were around 4 inches down. My two KG coppers were around 5 inches down.

On the other hand, I've found a 1960 Canadian dime 9 inches down and a 1974 nickel 8 inches down.

Bottom line, don't get hung up on depth. Most of the best finds are less than 6 inches down, so don't obsess over how deep your detector can pick up targets.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How the hell do you measure depths of coins in sand :icon_scratch: The more you scoop out the further the coin drops ...surely. It's not like it's secure in the sand, like it is in soil.

Some very wild claims here I believe, and I bet they are all from fisherman two.:laughing7:

SS

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How the hell do you measure depths of coins in sand :icon_scratch: The more you scoop out the further the coin drops ...surely. It's not like it's secure in the sand, like it is in soil.

Some very wild claims here I believe, and I bet they are all from fisherman two.:laughing7:

SS

Not true SS...
Coins don't "drop" in wet sand.
I use custom scoop...
2 scoops = 12 inches...
And every scoop thereafter is another 6 inches solid.

There is no "movement" of a coin in scoopfuls...
My "plug" is a solid canister of sand each pull 6 inches round and six -7 inches high.
When I "turn out" my plug is 60% of time a solid chunk of sand.
IF close to waters edge or in shallow water table area then "fill in" occurs...
These items are the "guessed" depths usually only.

My pulse with 7.5 inch coil will pull large (real big items) at a depth of 6 ish feet.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is hard to believe and even for me as I dug it, I dug a 1953 (my' Birth year) Franklin Half Dollar close to the water on Sands Beach in Key West in the early 1980's and it was a little over 3 feet deep. Quite a few of the beachgoers that evening, came over to help keep the water from washing sand back into the hole. When I finally retrieved the coin, the hole was close to 3 feet in diameter and nearly 3 feet deep when I finally bore my' hand down further on the signal and felt it. Two guys were holding me by my' belt, so that I could dive down into the hole to get the coin. When I pulled the coin out and looked up, there must have been 25 to 30 people there including some cuties in bikinis, congratulating me and wanting to see what I found. The coin was detected by my' White's 2000-D (1st Series as there were no Series numbers on it) Metal Detector and I am still kicking myself in the butt for ever selling it when I transferred to West Virginia with my' job!

Frank

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is hard to believe and even for me as I dug it, I dug a 1953 (my' Birth year) Franklin Half Dollar close to the water on Sands Beach in Key West in the early 1980's and it was a little over 3 feet deep. Quite a few of the beachgoers that evening, came over to help keep the water from washing sand back into the hole. When I finally retrieved the coin, the hole was close to 3 feet in diameter and nearly 3 feet deep when I finally bore my' hand down further on the signal and felt it. Two guys were holding me by my' belt, so that I could dive down into the hole to get the coin. When I pulled the coin out and looked up, there must have been 25 to 30 people there including some cuties in bikinis, congratulating me and wanting to see what I found. The coin was detected by my' White's 2000-D (1st Series as there were no Series numbers on it) Metal Detector and I am still kicking myself in the butt for ever selling it when I transferred to West Virginia with my' job!

Frank

This is very hard to believe lol.

Did you really need someone to hold you by the belt to reach into a 3' hole? lol

Now I'm not saying you didn't find a coin down there, just I don't think the Whites found a coin 3' deep.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the best finds are less than 6 inches down, so don't obsess over how deep your detector can pick up targets.

That is definitely true, 90% of the relics and coins I find are under 6"

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true SS...
Coins don't "drop" in wet sand.
I use custom scoop...
2 scoops = 12 inches...
And every scoop thereafter is another 6 inches solid.

There is no "movement" of a coin in scoopfuls...
My "plug" is a solid canister of sand each pull 6 inches round and six -7 inches high.
When I "turn out" my plug is 60% of time a solid chunk of sand.
IF close to waters edge or in shallow water table area then "fill in" occurs...
These items are the "guessed" depths usually only.

My pulse with 7.5 inch coil will pull large (real big items) at a depth of 6 ish feet.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)
ARRC... you can carry on shovelling it, but I an't smelling it.:laughing7:.. MOOOO.:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recover good targets (coins, jewelry pull tabs ect)easily at 20" using excal with 15" coil hunting in pinpoint mode (all metal). I had to take several scoops of sand out before I could see it in discrimination mode. Both of my scoop eats 6"+ with each bite.... Who knows how deep I would see large target..

I use excal with pinpoint mod, rocker switch on hand grip and hunt in all metal, basically using it as a PI, but with true discrimination. With flip of thumb switch I can check to see if target is good or bad, no tone or null in discrimination mode means target is really deep...

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said this before. But every other year I end up digging up my gas line brass fitting out front. It is two feet deep. But that signal just sounds so good.
I wish I would remember that it was there.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hand dug a dump down close to 12 ft. There were 4 of us digging and two people on the frames pulling the dirt.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have said this before. But every other year I end up digging up my gas line brass fitting out front. It is two feet deep. But that signal just sounds so good.
I wish I would remember that it was there.

Same thing happened at a very old school I was at, I hear a nice strong coin signal, dig one foot and see what looks like part of a fence post. I put the plug back and continue, I couple weeks later I would dig it again. I think I dug it about 5 times :laughing9:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really surprised more have not chimed in on this...
12 inches is no big deal on beaches here.

? weird.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am really surprised more have not chimed in on this...
12 inches is no big deal on beaches here.

? weird.

50 cal. will sound off really loud at elbow deep holes on the beach, like they were only a few inches.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 cal. will sound off really loud at elbow deep holes on the beach, like they were only a few inches.

Agreed...
I have pulled shells at WAY over 15...
But thread was "coin"...
IF thread was on "object"... sheeesh would b here all day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread