🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed...
I have pulled shells at WAY over 15...
But thread was "coin"...
IF thread was on "object"... sheeesh would b here all day.

True ARRC it's about coinage. I've dug a few modern clad on AMI Holmes Beach where I just couldn't believe the depth and I said WTF and shook the head. I didn't even post up the depths as it would have been "Buddy I want some of that what you've smoking".

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
How the hell do you measure depths of coins in sand :icon_scratch: The more you scoop out the further the coin drops ...surely. It's not like it's secure in the sand, like it is in soil.

Some very wild claims here I believe, and I bet they are all from fisherman two.:laughing7:

SS

You see Mattie we are Pirates and we know how you Brits feel about that, ..

And before you dirt hounds :laughing7: even had a clue about youtube we were uploading...

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see Mattie we are Pirates and we know how you Brits feel about that, .. On the beach, be it 104 inch deep or a 104 grams of Yellow

And before you dirt hounds :laughing7: even had a clue about youtube we were uploading...

:laughing7: Yea... but we still get plenty of you clowns paying thousands of $$$$$ to come here and dig true history :laughing7: ..even if it is planted for you.:laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clowns... lol
They are not "just" clowns...
They are Rodeo Clowns...
And rodeo clowns take the bull by the horns. :P
And make the trip...
What about you SS ?>
Ever come to the states ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clowns... lol
They are not "just" clowns...
They are Rodeo Clowns...
And rodeo clowns take the bull by the horns. :P
And make the trip...
What about you SS ?>
Ever come to the states ?
Yes Florida... before my detecting years...what a dump :laughing7: Would love to come back one day.

SS

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Florida... before my detecting years...what a dump :laughing7: Would love to come back one day.

SS
here in Florida...
Dump ? heh...
The weather makes up for it.
I have been to England 3 times... weather sucks... food sucked... and showers were no existant in anyones homes.
I could go on :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the lack of hot women everywhere... just added to the fire. :P

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here in Florida...
Dump ? heh...
The weather makes up for it.
I have been to England 3 times... weather sucks... food sucked... and showers were no existant in anyones homes.
I could go on :)
ARRC... you might be able to answer a question for me, why do you keep building houses that get blown away with every hurricane?? Have you ever read the story of the three little pigs :laughing7:

You should come back over here one day, we now have running water in most houses, and electricity(with out having a generator ) not to mention the best free health care in the world,.:laughing7: we even look after you poor Yanks when they come to greif here.:cat:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one word...

Marmite.

I think your taste buds are playing a joke on you guys.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you stay when you were here SS ?
Kissimee if that's how you spell it :dontknow: I think it was on Black Lake road.. but not sure. I'll come back one day and have a go for them big Tarpon.

SS

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This is very hard to believe lol.

Did you really need someone to hold you by the belt to reach into a 3' hole? lol

Now I'm not saying you didn't find a coin down there, just I don't think the Whites found a coin 3' deep.

It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not as I know it happened and the folks that helped and the onlookers know it happened! Can I produce a witness to verify the story, probably not unless one or more of them are members of Treasurenet and see these posts. Also, while I know it is hard to believe that a White's 2000-D Metal Detector pinged a weak signal on the coin but it did. While I have told this story before, I will tell it again. I purchased the metal detector in 1979 at a small (once a year) Flea Market that is or was held in Key West. After 2 or 3 months, the sound (both speaker and headphones) went out on it. I sent it to the White's Factory in Sweet Home, Oregon detailing the problem and asked that along with repairing it, that they give it a tune up. Well, they not only replaced the bad sound circuit but also went over every circuit and connection in and on the metal detector, replaced every weak circuit found, even replaced some parts with Upgraded parts made for the unit and gave the unit a hot tune before returning it to me. Myself and everyone of my metal detecting friends were amazed at the depth the metal detector would ping on a target. In fact, I honestly believe that there was not a single land use metal detector in the Florida Keys that could hold a candle to my' White's 2000-D when it come to depth. Many of the folks I knew, owned brand new top-of-the-line Garrett and Fisher Metal Detectors and I could literally walk in their footsteps where they metal detected and find more coins and other items than they found on their pass on a grid.

Again, while you may not believe this story, I know it is true and there are two things you can count on from me and that is to stand by my word and my handshake! It is my bond, my honesty and my integrity of which I will not waver from. While my' Feedback rating on eBay is only one gauge to my' honesty and integrity, you can check it out if you wish by searching on my' eBay User Name which is huntsman532ukm ....

Oh and by the way, yes, I had to have the two guys hold my' belt while I leaned over into the hole to retrieve the coin! When you have a hole that big on a sandy beach, close to the water's edge and the sand keeps collapsing back into the hole, you need someone to hold onto you, otherwise you are going in head first.

Frank

Last edited:

Max Smith

May 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the deepest i have dug was a 1911 wheat penny 8 inches down.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
In my back yard, filled dirt, I dug a wheat penny about 12'' deep with my Bounty Hunter, Then in a park near my house I dug a dime 14'' with my Treasure Baron. These I am sure were not normal conditions, the3 ground was damp and the soil was not very mineralized. Both required a lot of digging through the subsoil to reach them. I also found a quarter in the dry sand at the beach over a foot deep with my Bounty Hunter. Good Luck. rockhound

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not as I know it happened and the folks that helped and the onlookers know it happened! Can I produce a witness to verify the story, probably not unless one or more of them are members of Treasurenet and see these posts. Also, while I know it is hard to believe that a White's 2000-D Metal Detector pinged a weak signal on the coin but it did. While I have told this story before, I will tell it again. I purchased the metal detector at a small (once a year) Flea Market that is or was held in Key West. After 2 or 3 months, the sound (both speaker and headphones) went out on it. I sent it to the White's Factory in Sweet Home, Oregon detailing the problem and asked that along with repairing it, that they give it a tune up. Well, they not only replaced the bad sound circuit but also went over every circuit and connection in and on the metal detector, replaced every weak circuit found, even replaced some parts with Upgraded parts made for the unit and gave the unit a hot tune before returning it to me. Myself and everyone of my metal detecting friends were amazed at the depth the metal detector would ping on a target. In fact, I honestly believe that there was not a single land use metal detector in the Florida Keys that could hold a candle to my' White's 2000-D when it come to depth. Many of the folks I knew, owned brand new top-of-the-line Garrett and Fisher Metal Detectors and I could literally walk in their footsteps where they metal detected and find more coins and other items than they found on their pass on a grid.

Again, while you may not believe this story, I know it is true and there are two things you can count on from me and that is to stand by my word and my handshake! It is my bond, my honesty and my integrity of which I will not waver from. While my' Feedback rating on eBay is only one gauge to my' honesty and integrity, you can check it out if you wish by searching on my' eBay User Name which is huntsman532ukm ....

Oh and by the way, yes, I had to have the two guys hold my' belt while I leaned over into the hole to retrieve the coin! When you have a hole that big on a sandy beach, close to the water's edge and the sand keeps collapsing back into the hole, you need someone to hold onto you, otherwise you are going in head first.

Frank

Sorry Frank, it didn't happen that way.

A more reasonable scenario is that you were terrible at pinpointing, the coin kept sinking deeper and deeper as you were shoveling.

Another scenario is that you were at first chasing a bobby-pin that was above it, missed it, then discovered the coin in your huge hole.

I could go on and on, but if your coil could detect a coin at 36", it would also detect the control housing and shaft on the detector constantly causing false signals as it pivoted on the coil.

The amount of power required would quickly drain your batteries if your coil didn't burn up first.

It would definitely have picked up the belt buckle you claimed to be suspended by. :tongue3:

"All fisherman are liars except you and me... and I'm not so sure about you."

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Yea... but we still get plenty of you clowns paying thousands of $$$$$ to come here and dig true history :laughing7: ..even if it is planted for you.:laughing7:

LOL, the only thing you have worth coming over there for would be to hang out with "Baby Spice" She's a Hot ticket...:headbang:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great point. I've found three 1700's half reals and all were around 4 inches down. My two KG coppers were around 5 inches down.

On the other hand, I've found a 1960 Canadian dime 9 inches down and a 1974 nickel 8 inches down.

Bottom line, don't get hung up on depth. Most of the best finds are less than 6 inches down, so don't obsess over how deep your detector can pick up targets.
It does seem like most finds are mostly from about 3-6' down.Kind of makes me wonder what I am not hearing.Like the small coin I dug at about 9-10'down,was just a "whisper" of a sound.If the area was trash or iron infested i probably would have never of heard it.That was when my machine was about new out the box too.Unless it is just my imagination, it seems like my machine doesn't perform like it use to as far as depth and sensitivity as it got older?.Anybody else notice this with your machines as they get used and older?Mine is only about 4 years old,but I have used it quite a bit.Besides getting a new machine,is there something I can do to make it perform better?I just sent it off and had it calibrated with a new coil about a year ago.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does seem like most finds are mostly from about 3-6' down.Kind of makes me wonder what I am not hearing.Like the small coin I dug at about 9-10'down,was just a "whisper" of a sound.If the area was trash or iron infested i probably would have never of heard it.That was when my machine was about new out the box too.Unless it is just my imagination, it seems like my machine doesn't perform like it use to as far as depth and sensitivity as it got older?.Anybody else notice this with your machines as they get used and older?Mine is only about 4 years old,but I have used it quite a bit.Besides getting a new machine,is there something I can do to make it perform better?I just sent it off and had it calibrated with a new coil about a year ago.

Dig... what are you running ?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a fisher 1270

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I quote... "single coins as deep as 18 and 20 inches."

This was a statement made about this detector... I just located.

NOW... a lot of things factor on ALL detectors...

First and foremost is the type of soil... the soil conditions in an area... and in some areas this can change some... a lot... or every ten feet... heh
hold for next post... must do something...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread