ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a detector go over and area of hard packed soil... and find very little... same settings over sugar sand its pulling stuff left and right.
Same detector... adjusted some... starts nailing it on packed soil...
Same detector when the soil is damp starts really hitting... or hits nothing or falses...
soil dry... same things or hits again...
on and on... get the pic here ? ... this is the "nature of the beast"...

Constant adjustment may be needed to maximize "haul"...
I know that many detectorists have a "set" way they run their detector... but this can be the difference between a fruitful day... and a day that has nothing much.
There is always a "good setting"... but... could it be better ? 9 out of 10 times the answer is yes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What area in Fl are you in?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I have ever used since I have been hunting where fisher's 1266's-1270.Some people say it is a turn on and go.but if you know one ,you know there is more to it then that depending on the situation's.Gotta know how to set the disc's and use them accordingly.Fisher's can be a horse for depth and accuracy.But they seem to have allot of problem's that can go along with them.I think it is time for a change.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"turn on and go" detectors are what I call a "general use" detector...
Less knobs... = less control.

Control is key.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my excals showing my cabling..Shaft is not fully extended so you see slack at coil. I hunt in all metal (pp) and with 15" coils and I get great depth, I have recovered tiny targets, vvoins and gold jewelry over 15" in a wet sand at beaches. I get response in all netasl that I don't see in discrimination till I remove several scoops of sand. I have large scoops that bite 6" at a time..

2a85ee9ea543c5165d0e1e7969ea76ac.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you are short btw :P heh...

I will post mine without my invention(s) attached at a later date.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try running cable "staright away". for at least 15 inches or more if poss.
Less cable "over" coil body I have found to increase sens without feedback... "falsing".

Small slack... enough for coil pitch... see if you can "hair up" some sens.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you are short btw :P heh...

I will post mine without my invention(s) attached at a later date.
It was the cold water.. LOL.. The shafts are not extended, they are collapsed for storing, when extended shaft is 6 foot and cable only has just enough slack to keep it from stressing at connector of coil..

They both pinpoint in center, I use the toe/ heel method. When in the water, I pinpoint target, put toe at back of coil and that is starting point for scoop.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I adjust detector till it is stable then bump it a hair hotter...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal is deeper than in discrimination mode.

I took a picture of handle that shows the rocker switch for mod, one direction is pp, other is descrimination .

I have the reverse pinpoint mod on both detectors, I hunt in all metal / pinpoint mode when I hit a target I switch to discrimination using rocker to see if target is good. Many times I have no tone in discrimination but do in all metal, all metal is deeper than in discrimination mode.

I took a picture of handle that shows the reverse pinpoint mod mounted on the handle.

59ce995f4716e8373545083c6c27049b.jpg

5caec204817f0ddd4f0c6a26e4e541f3.jpg

543071ba0fd15c7de7b4cc098364c271.jpg

Tie wraps are in air tubing to protect cable from tie wraps.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... try running wire "straight away"... and see if it "adds" some sens...
Coil wire is ARRRG... hate it. in general...
I know you lik to collapse so you have to get "just right"... as well as I...

Zip just above joint... then 1 halfwayon low shaft...but not tight... loose enough to move...
when you setup you can adjust...
but run coil wire straight up shaft... then coils after...
I have never run either of the coils you show... the WOT or DD

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... try running wire "straight away"... and see if it "adds" some sens...
Coil wire is ARRRG... hate it. in general...
I know you lik to collapse so you have to get "just right"... as well as I...

Zip just above joint... then 1 halfwayon low shaft...but not tight... loose enough to move...
when you setup you can adjust...
but run coil wire straight up shaft... then coils after...
I have never run either of the coils you show... the WOT or DD
When I hunt it is straight, I remove velcro and twist when I collapse shaft to protect cable from catching on anything.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't ever go back to 10" coil, I love the 15" coils. Hunted 6 hours Sunday and 5 hours Monday in water at Clearwater and St Pete beaches.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad we did not meet... I have not been out lately ... would have liked to have met you... could have had a "session"..
Would love to swing the WOT for a minute... been curious.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad we did not meet... I have not been out lately ... would have liked to have met you... could have had a "session"..
Would love to swing the WOT for a minute... been curious.
Stayed in St Pete at Holiday Inn Express about 15 mins from beach. I will let you know next time I head that way... I always travel with both excal detectors when I go hunting.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It does seem like most finds are mostly from about 3-6' down.Kind of makes me wonder what I am not hearing.Like the small coin I dug at about 9-10'down,was just a "whisper" of a sound.If the area was trash or iron infested i probably would have never of heard it.That was when my machine was about new out the box too.Unless it is just my imagination, it seems like my machine doesn't perform like it use to as far as depth and sensitivity as it got older?.Anybody else notice this with your machines as they get used and older?Mine is only about 4 years old,but I have used it quite a bit.Besides getting a new machine,is there something I can do to make it perform better?I just sent it off and had it calibrated with a new coil about a year ago.

DigIron2,

I am not so sure about the newer digital technology metal detectors but the older analog technology metal detectors are somewhat known for loss of depth due to the electronics creeping off signal or off frequency. The circuits that set both signal strength (outgoing and incoming) and frequency on the older analog metal detectors should have a adjustable oscillator circuits that are set to the specifications for the machine. These oscillator circuits in metal detectors just like frequency oscillator circuits and/or frequency crystals (in the older models) creep off the specification settings with time and need to be adjusted occasionally and/or replaced. If you have the diagrams and specifications for the electronics boards in a metal detector as well as the electronics equipment to test/measure these circuits, you could then fine tune the metal detector back to it's original specifications. Some repair technicians actually know how far outside of those factory specifications that these oscillator circuits can be tuned to give a metal detector a hot tune so that it will detect targets much deeper than they would using the standard factory specifications. I would recommend finding a metal detector repair technician that is familiar with tuning and hot tuning metal detectors and have these adjustments done on your' metal detector. Another less known modification to metal detectors that most knowledgeable metal detector repair technicians can make on metal detectors is to add on signal amplifiers to specific circuits to boost the outgoing and incoming signals. The key is to install signal amplifiers that can be powered by it's own individual battery pack or if wired into the metal detector's power source (it's battery pack or packs), that it will put very little drain on the power for the key circuits in the metal detector.

As far as recommendations for a newer metal detector is concerned, I believe that the XP Deus is a great choice but if you can afford it, then I would recommend a Minelab CTX 3030. If you want to go with a great but older machine that is affordable, then I would recommend a Minelab Sovereign Elite as they are awesome deep seeking machines.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread