🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heading upstate Wednesday night for opening day turkey hunting on Thursday. As hunting ends at midday I planned on detecting all afternoon. Research tells me the area was settled in the late 1700's and there is plenty of state land in my area. One area even has a little abandoned cemetery with grave stones dated late 1700's through 1800's. My dad tells me of many old cellar holes and stone foundations throughout the forest but can't pinpoint them exactly. The fields have all been worked for as long as the old timers can remember. In fact the family that is in the little cemetery actually worked this one particular field.
My question is should I spend time hiking the forest looking for these old foundations or just stick to the fields that are obviously there. Where would I have more success? If looking for the old foundations, are there any signs I should be looking for? Flat spots, flowers, near creeks, etc? I've never done this type of detecting and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now our birds are coming down and hooking up with hens and they are in the fields at noon bugging and strutting.Wear a splash of orange and I would look for the cellar holes and foundations. Our fields are getting tall in grass. I have been hunting the woods in the poison ivy. Sounds like you have a great place to learn some sites to hunt! I have never finished a good site in just one day. Some I hunt for years.
Good luck getting a bird! They are gobbling like crazy here.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love foundations I'm going. To one today I'll post my finds oh yea when I don't use my head phones my detector seems to make a great turkey call

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set the alarm off on my truck and then turn it off and hear the birds gobble on the roost. Better than an owl hoot or crow call.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that has happened when I locked the truck and it chirped.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430266882.519219.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430266904.505312.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430266925.954532.jpg coins are1893 v nickel 1912 Canadian large cent 1919 wheat

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of the finds from the foundation I recently got permission on

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that small compact was gonna be an awesome coin anyway that's why I choose foundations I use a xp deus but I see you use a ctx 30/30 so trash shouldn't be an issue

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome man! Tell me about those coins. I'm in Delaware county, about 30 miles from Oneonta.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
95% of the finds on my signature were found in forests. I prefer woods hunting to any other kind of hunting. Cellar holes are not necessary to find stuff, I know of no good cellar holes in my area so the places I hunt don't have any. It takes careful research to find a good site, look at old maps, town history and town records. Those can be found on Archive.org or at your local library or historical society. Hunting in the woods can be hard due to plants, bugs, and other things. Stones wall are a good sign but do not mean you will necessarily find stuff, a lot of times they are just borders for where farm fields and livestock would be, they are still a very good sign though. Anyways, Good luck and have fun!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree most of my hunting is the surrounding area I found the foundation wich does have a barn foundation on a 1912 map so it should keep me busy for a long long time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread