Ok...never again digging where homeless people live

Claire98909

Jul 4, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I worked up the courage to venture out of my yard. I went into a wooded area beside a small river and did some digging with my brand new trowel and root snipper. I was already aware that the area is frequented by homeless people, as the woods are directly off of a bike path that I take to work every day.

Not only was I picking up nothing but junk (beer cans, bottle caps, a pair of broken eyeglasses) but I'm fairly certain I dug several spots where homeless people have buried feces. I work at doggie daycare; I'm quite used to dealing with poo, but there's a huge difference between dog poo and people poo. When I got home I soaked my equipment in bleach. Needless to say from now on I will only dig in places where homeless people are unlikely to frequent. Unfortunately that will limit me to private property, so I'll have to work up the courage to reach out to local homeowners for permission to dig on their property.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blechhh. That's pretty bad. Plenty of other spots to look. You'll get some permissions. Just hang in there.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Homeless people gotta poo too my man.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
See if you can detect at Menotomy rock park in Arlington.It use to be a town,the british passed throught it on their way to lexington.

OP
OP
C

Claire98909

Jul 4, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll look into it, Red James, thanks. I'd considered doing some hunting along the Minuteman Bike Path but I'd be too exposed and visible to other people. Menotomy looks like it probably has some nice secluded areas.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homeless people take the time to bury it? I doubt that..lol

I found it almost impossible to hunt in areas that the homeless frequent in our area.. So much trash it was completely unbelievable. Talk about mad I get :(

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the topo maps, they show any historical roads and house or where they used to be. Even here in the mountains in Tennessee I often locate old homesites off ancient roads. Asking permission is easy. We used the philosophy that we did when we asked girls to dance. For every 10 no's you get one yes !
Good luck!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well just imagine how fun it is for the one who is homeless.

OP
OP
C

Claire98909

Jul 4, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well just imagine how fun it is for the one who is homeless.

I know, I feel so bad for homeless people :( There's this one guy who had a little tent in the woods about 50 feet away from the bike path. A couple of months ago when path renovation began I wondered how long it would be until his hideout was discovered and he was told to leave. About a week ago I noticed that the tent was gone and the man is now spending his days sitting on one of the decorative boulders along the path. Very sad.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lest they go to the trouble of burying it. Seems the city/road crew has less compassion than you do, they took his home/tent.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
over time, you will find better places to hunt, private properties can be very rewarding.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the homeless but not jobless people here in the mountains. I wish they would take the time to bury their crap.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, sounds like you found a hobo latrine.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to be careful im glad you used bleach because there are some nasty diseases you can catch from human waste. Hepatitis being one and most common.

I think its so sad we are so rich ad a country that we cant help the homeless. I know there are some that don't want it but I doubt that 99.9% would turn away help. We have homeless in my area and especially near the business sections looking for handouts and the state trooper barracks is there too and of course they cant have the homeless walking around asking for help at traffic lights so they arrest them, harass them etc. Me personally I cant stand that and I give when I can. Ticks me off we give money to countries that hate our guts, want us to die but yet we can't help our own.

OP
OP
C

Claire98909

Jul 4, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need to be careful im glad you used bleach because there are some nasty diseases you can catch from human waste. Hepatitis being one and most common.

I think its so sad we are so rich ad a country that we cant help the homeless. I know there are some that don't want it but I doubt that 99.9% would turn away help. We have homeless in my area and especially near the business sections looking for handouts and the state trooper barracks is there too and of course they cant have the homeless walking around asking for help at traffic lights so they arrest them, harass them etc. Me personally I cant stand that and I give when I can. Ticks me off we give money to countries that hate our guts, want us to die but yet we can't help our own.

Hepatitis?!? Oh good lord, I'm gonna make an appointment to see my doctor! I did my best to not touch anything, but there's always the possibility that I did.

Last edited:

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just carbon. With enough time, heat, and pressure it will become a diamond...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's an idea, at the end of a hunt at a park or public place, give up your clad to a homeless person.

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
When I surveyed for road improvements, I would often flush a homeless person out. You would be amazed at how some managed, and how close to "civilization" their camps would be. I used to carry a pack of socks in the truck and leave some at their sites when possible. I was always on the lookout for used needles, sometimes they were everywhere. As for needles, they are not only hobo camp items, but in parks, and streets also. Be careful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread