Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my second season detecting. It has started a lot slower than the first. The oldest thing I have found so far is a 1965 quarter. This time last year I had already found a couple silver rings and my first gold. I am feeling discouraged. Makes me wonder if I forgot how to detect. All the signals are jumpy and hard to ID. How do you break out of a slump?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta work thru it..its like poker,sometimes your just going to run bad...then bam it turns around.For me it has ALWAYS come in cycles

hang tough..:occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to either re-evaluate your spots or make a trip to a park or fairgrounds that should have some "low hanging fruit".

It may only be clad but it does satisfy - and the occasional ring or locket helps, too.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the high school reject everything up to 78 an accept 79-94 and gather all the quarters. Feels better when you can say I spent 2 hours tonight and made $10. I just use a screw driver to pop the coins and don't bother if they are deeper than 4" which few are.. After a couple trips like this a day of nothing much looking for old or gold is not as bad.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I sympathize with you. I have my ups and downs too. It is easy to get frustrated and discouraged when the hunts are not productive. The only thing that I can tell you is to just keep plugging away at it. The more you hunt and the more holes you dig, the higher the probability that something good will appear.

Don't forget to have fun, even though you might not be finding a bunch of good stuff. I have to remember to enjoy the hunt, not find! GL&HH.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just appreciate detecting.
As long as yur diggin' metal, silver will show. Gold too, occasionally.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know that sometimes other detectorists have dry spells too.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it just comes with the territory.I have been having somewhat of a crummy year so far myself.Just keep on hunting,it will come.As a matter of fact the last person i heard say they where in a slump has started to find some really nice stuff here lately.

leomessi

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o.png

hang tough..:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps ya, all of last year I couldn't dig any gold to save my life! An entire year, gold less!
Then after this winter that set records with snow depths, that we thought were never going to melt, I found gold!
Teeny tiny gold! Didn't detect it either I eyeballed it! Lol! One of these days I will get it right!

One of my lest productive detecting days a couple years back I came home with a handful of pop tops and "half" a corroded zinc! Not even a "whole" zinc!

The next time out you could find something that will be the find of a life time! You just never know!
It's out there, waiting to be found.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a nice gold bracelet and then went 2 1/2 years before I found gold again. Hang in there!

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know just how you feel I spent all winter doing research and finding new places to hunt and this spring has been very disappointing I just keep checking off 1 spot after another, with little to show, it's a bummer but if was that easy everyone would be challenging you for every spot. Thank God that you can still enjoy this hobby and we still live in the best country in the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread