man i thought i got lucky

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During my first disastrous outing with my new tiger shark I dug for over an hour though rocks and sand and reached a flat piece of metal with a beautiful patina. I wasn't going to dig anymore just for flat piece of metal, filled it in and came home and pouted.

This week I read a post on T.N. about the member that almost didn't dig a target and it turned out to be a can with silver half dollars in it. I thought ," damn KVegan, if you are not going to dig a flat piece of metal with a beautiful patina on it then what are you waiting for , a giant X marks the spot ?.

Today I went back with a bigger shovel and dug the biggest hole I have ever dug for a target and about twenty min in I look down and I have pulled out a lock, it wasn't ancient but the brass housing was all that was left, now I am starting to think that today is my day.

When I FINALLY pulled it free it was a flat piece of metal about 18" square, and that beautiful patina, nope. The thing was white enamel. It looked like it came from the stove in my kitchen.
But I saw that patina, multiple times! I can see it in my mind like the face of my first girlfriend.

Now I am thinking she may not have been super-model material after all. And maybe I didn't really see a ghost at that winery last year, that would be unfortunate because I kinda made a big deal out of it.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
That is part of the fun - day dreaming about a world famous find! Thanks for sharing.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at least you dont have to wonder anymore.I've done same thing,once a year later.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a paint can at 3 feet down, I regret not removing it from the hole and checking if anything was in it, it was so heavy though.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't we all have a story or 2 of the cache we dreamed of digging. Last fall I had a large hit on and old site It was late and already dark so I left for home knowing that the target was safe.. I had a hard time sleeping that night. The next day, after work on the way home I went back to the spot. I dug down 1.5 feet and still nothing. I needed to widen the hole so I could go deeper. Wouldn't you know I had dug down in the center of a lawn mower steering wheel that missing the spindles. :BangHead:

Good luck in your future digs. You put enough time in, surely you'll find something to brag about.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Well at lest there's nothing wrong with your imagination!
That's a good thing because being treasure hunters we use that a lot!
You won't have to wonder about the one that got away that you didn't dig!
And one of these days it will be a cache!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread