Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one question, how come in the 1700's and 1800's people lost so many buttons but so few coins??? I have always wondered why buttons were lost some much, it's not like a button can just fall off of your shirt. I would also expect that coins would be easier to lose than buttons. Anyways, buttons are probably one of my favorite finds though due to how unique and personal they can be. I have accumulated a small collection of them during 2014 and 2015.

Here are some buttons I found in 2014 and 2015
Dandy Buttons
IMG_20150503_161026.jpg

Tombac Buttons
IMG_20150503_161156.jpg

Flat Buttons in General (No two piece buttons shown and a couple flat buttons not in photo)
IMG_20150503_161902.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess many women did not sew as good as they thought.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has mostly to do with the number of years the site was lived on and you collecting what they lost in 30,40, 50 years in the matter of a few hours. Those peole worked very hard so it shouldn't be too difficult to imagine two buttons on average could pop off a year over 50 years, and 100 buttons seems like a lot if they are spread over a small area. Add in two more houses that were close, and that's 300 and seems like they are everywhere.... because they likely would be.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good explanation IP, 75% of those buttons come from the same site which was densely populated for years. I find buttons from the 1750's through the 1850's which means people probably dropped a couple buttons a year accounting for the ones I did not find.

Also, Just wondering, how many buttons have you found this year so far?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good explanation IP, 75% of those buttons come from the same site which was densely populated for years. I find buttons from the 1750's through the 1850's which means people probably dropped a couple buttons a year accounting for the ones I did not find.

Also, Just wondering, how many buttons have you found this year so far?

Very few as I have only been out twice, both at places that have been hunted for years. My best years I dug about a 1,000 for the year.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Buttons were the fastener with no rival at the time.
Those were the days of no Velcro, zippers weren't invented yet, all fabric was natural fibres, they broke down over time and didn't have the durability of man made ones, a lot of work was manual and washing machines with delicate cycle consisted of not whacking clothes on the rock too hard lol, and chances are everything was hung out to dry outside.
Not everyone had money, but I think most everyone had clothes, so buttons were obviously lost way more than coins

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Very few as I have only been out twice, both at places that have been hunted for years. My best years I dug about a 1,000 for the year.

Holy :censored: I thought that my measly 45 in my first season of hunting at colonial places and so far my second season was decent. After hearing your amount I think I found nothing!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very nice field that I detected and had to give up on because of the amount of buttons on it, it was nothing to get 30 in the first hour. I just got sick of digging them, might sound strange to you guys but when your looking for the older stuff, you don't want to be digging buttons all day.

SS

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you google 16th thru 19th century clothing you may find that buttons were also used to style the clothing.even a single overcoat could have 15 or more.everything seemed covered in buttons.just a thot

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
if you google 16th thru 19th century clothing you may find that buttons were also used to style the clothing.even a single overcoat could have 15 or more.everything seemed covered in buttons.just a thot

Im a big fan of urban dictionary, check out your word "thot"

It will surprise you

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always wondered why buttons were lost some much . . .

Older cotton and linen threads don't hold up like modern Nylon and synthetic thread? :dontknow:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, off-topic but do know how old this button is IP, blank smooth and flat front and cone like back. It looks to be made of tombac. Way smaller thicker and heaver than most of the tombacs I find too, not sure :dontknow:

IMG_20150507_165631.jpg IMG_20150507_165708.jpg

I figured I would ask even if I am kind of hijacking my own thread :laughing7:

Sorry about no photos of the front but it is not indented in anyway if that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread