Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Dick's sporting goods. I got a good deal on one there. You also might try craigslist they often have them listed. Make sure you get the type you need for your adventures. I carry gear so needed hatches and the kind you sit inside not on top. Good luck!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of used one around, try paddling or kayak club forum pages, always people coming and going. good luck

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
My kayak has an adjustable seat which is important to me to avoid back strain.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 2 display models from Costco that they had moved to the clearance section and got both for the price of one new!

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of used one around, try paddling or kayak club forum pages, always people coming and going. good luck

Thanks. I didn't think of that. Nor did I realize there would be kayak club forums, but then again, why wouldn't there be? :) I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1309.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought the Delta 15.5 modal a couple of years back, awesome handling.
IMG_1574.JPG

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a solo canoe with good results. They're a might wider.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perception Pescador 120. This is basically a 2008 model Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 re-badged by Perception, a sister company of Wilderness Systems. The Tarpon 120 is one of the most popular SOT yaks ever produced and now that this model has been turned over to Perception, you can now get a $1000 kayak for half the price at many big-box and sporting good stores, i.e. Academy, Dicks, etc. You'll be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck than this model. There are a ton of aftermarket products for the 2008 Tarpon and they cross over to the Pescador just fine. Goggle it and read the reviews.

Here was mine, decked out for specs and reds.

3.JPG

4.JPG

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have only tried the canoe-style kayaks. From that experience, I personally think that I will like the sit-on-top style better. There is more leg room and it seems less of a chance of sinking it.

Clay Slayer, I really like that kayak! Is that a 12' model?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick is as always the mount and dismount. It would be funny to see me get in and out sometimes and not flip it. You almost have to beach the sit in kind to get up and out of it. I carry all my metal detector gear and shovel and pick. Gold pan and a cooler for lunch and a dry bag for wallet and phone. Light fishing tackle and a lot of water. So the sit inside makes sense for me as I do not spend a lot of time when hitting sites unloading and loading. Also a long mooring line as sometimes I drag my yak around as I hunt.
Be safe and take your time. Come back and show us what you get.

IMG_1588.jpg

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have only tried the canoe-style kayaks. From that experience, I personally think that I will like the sit-on-top style better. There is more leg room and it seems less of a chance of sinking it.

Clay Slayer, I really like that kayak! Is that a 12' model?

Yep, 12'. Easy to cartop by myself, pretty light. Get a good pair of water sandals, like Keen, and straddle the SOT to enter and exit. If you don't mind getting your feet a little wet, it's really an easy process. Plus on those hot days, I just fish sitting side-saddle with my legs in the water.

IMG_3015.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread