What am I doing wrong?

Claire98909

Jul 4, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm STILL digging up rusty nails despite using the discriminate function on my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV! I'm primarily interested in coinshooting, and the instructions say the settings for coinshooting are discriminate switch to the left (full discriminate) and the discriminate knob to the 3:00 position (3/4 of a turn). According to the instructions with these settings I should only pick up, I believe, silver, copper, and brass and trash items should be discarded. Yet I'm still picking up junk like rusty nails and pieces of foil!

Somebody help, this is driving me nuts!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The method I am going to discuss will assist you in mainly finding coins. Take an older beaver tail pull tab and place it on the ground. Swing your detector over it as you raise the discrimination. Once you get the detector to not hit on the beaver tail. mark your detector and you now have your setting which will mainly find pennies, dimes, quarters and larger coins. You will not detect a nickle since it rings in at a lower level than a beaver tail. You will still dig some aluminum cans, but no nails, foil, GOLD, or iron.

GL& HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not interested in finding Indian Head pennies you can use a zinc lincoln penny and swing your detector over it as you increase your discrimination. Once you have adjusted the discrimination until the detector does not beep on the zinc penny, you will now mainly find copper coins, silver jewelry, silver coins, and clad. You may still dig some aluminum can slaw. Practice on all the coins you'd like to find. get used to the sound you hear for each coin. I can even give you a tip on knowing how deep the coin is in the ground.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the nails square, as in blacksmith forged? Those can be hard to discriminate out as opposed to modern round nails. Lay one of the nails you have dug on the ground and see if you can tune it out with your discriminator adjustment. ???!!!??? Let us know what happens.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing nothing wrong! Your'e finding metal. So far It's been trash, but we all find trash. I can guarantee you that if anyone that detects tells you they don't, they are lying. Don't give up, when you dig that first good target, It's like sweet victory!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nails bent in a curve,which many pulled ones are,or a nail with its head towards the surface are round metal objects.
When digging such objects with others that seem to be coins, the detector is giving us the benefit of the doubt.
If it passed all such objects we would miss the good ones too,but more often.
A rusted object has a surrounding dust/or halo that makes it appear rounder in circumference to many detector machines.
Always recheck area including exactly where you made a recovery. One time for sure I recovered a silver mercury dime under multiple nails.
The detector wanted to call iron but there was a tiny blip of a higher signal with it too. Lucky for me because after digging everything a while I would have dismissed the heavy iron the detector was trying to confirm.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also bent nails will trick the discrimination and ring up higher then a straight nail.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first GOLD class ring that rang up as foil, as loco-digger said, you will discriminate the GOLD out buddy, be careful with discriminating.
Many, many years ago I accepted that I am going to dig trash.
Re-read releventchair post.

Engine

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not interested in finding Indian Head pennies you can use a zinc lincoln penny and swing your detector over it as you increase your discrimination. Once you have adjusted the discrimination until the detector does not beep on the zinc penny, you will now mainly find copper coins, silver jewelry, silver coins, and clad. You may still dig some aluminum can slaw. Practice on all the coins you'd like to find. get used to the sound you hear for each coin. I can even give you a tip on knowing how deep the coin is in the ground.

This is one reason if you are interested in digging Indian Head pennies, you have to dig a few zincs. If I am in an old spot, and getting zinc readings fairly deep, I always dig them, although I have found IHs within 2 inches deep also. Sometimes junk aluminium will also fall in the same reading ranges as zincs and IHs.

Key to eliminating iron is knowing your detector and setting the discrimination up correctly, essentially, KNOW your machine to stop digging bottle caps and nails.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post brings back memories when I bought my first detector in the late 70's or early 80's. I got so frustrated that after a couple of months my detector went into the back of the closet to be rarely seen again. Back then you never saw any one detecting and I was even kind of embarrassed to even be seen using it. Now add to that I had no internet to ask questions and I didn't know there were metal detecting clubs out there. I had ordered my detector from a White's magazine ad so I didn't have a local dealer to go too. All I was digging was trash and I'd stumble across a few coins. I grew very frustrated and quit the hobby.

I didn't start the hobby again until 1999 but I was older and wiser :laughing7: and above all I was willing to put the time in to learn my machine. I shudder to think of all the good targets I missed out on if I had been patient, took the time to learn the language of my machine and above all I missed out on a lot of fun.

When I started again in 1999 I was terrible at finding targets in the grass/dirt so I started out by hitting the sand in the tot lots until I started to understand my tones/numbers. About 3 or 4 times a week I'd grab my sand scoop and my detector and head for the park, but the main thing was that I was getting out and practicing. I came across a guy that detected and he got me into dirt fishing and once the silver coins and wheats started filling my pouch I was hooked for life.

You've already gotten some good advice from this post. Just get out and practice, dig a ton of targets. Learn from the trash and good targets you dig. When you come across a target listen closely, swing over the target from another angle, does the tone/numbers change, are the tones consistent or do the tones break up. Can you tell how deep it is? Can you tell if the target is large or small? Raise/lower your sensitivity, what happens to your tones/numbers on your target? You gain all this knowledge by getting out and digging targets. Join a club and detect with someone that does well. Ask them when they find a good target to let you listen to it. Use good detecting techniques; keep the coil low to the ground, don't raise your coil at the end of your swings, and don't rush.

I'm getting carried away here so I'll stop preaching :laughing7:The bottom line is take it one day at a time, be patient, and have fun learning your machine. It going to take sometime before you get your detecting ears tuned to your machine, but once the light comes on and you start adding keepers to your pouch instead of trash you will come to enjoy a hobby that is a great stress buster and you'll meet some great people along the way. Practice, practice, and practice some more but learn from each hunt. HH

Last edited:

Quick draw mcgraw

Apr 25, 2015
San francisco
Detector(s) used
Compadre,8x pulse Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I'm a newbie too.need to hear it.we think the machine is going to magically manifest treasure.work,luck and perseverance are what's needed

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usually with a coin its a single strong beep, rusts nails will give a beep-beep most times unless your are swinging too fast and that double beep will just sound as a slightly longer beep.

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a silver uMax that I'm learning to use. What I've done is set the discriminator to get a little worble on a nickle. Then I search in all metal mode. When I get a target I flip it to discriminate and see if I still get a tone. If I do, I dig it. What worries me are all the posts I read that say a target read like a pull tab, but ended up being gold jewelry. I don't want to leave the good stuff behind. Is there a better way to be confident I'm not leaving the gold behind?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread