Fredericksberg, VA - Civil War Treasure Alert!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has relatives here and she just went for a visit the week of 5/2/15. She knows how much I like to detect and noticed something while she was back there that would certainly be worth checking into. Unfortunately I won't be back there anytime soon, so I am passing on this info.
Please post if you find anything good.

Where Route 1 and Route 17 intersect, she said they are widening the roads. They have removed 3 or four buildings and she said the whole area is open with fresh dirt everywhere. She was telling me this area was right in the middle of where the battles were happening, so there should be some good stuff there.

Good luck. I am sure I am probably also ruining someones day, but she said she didn't see anyone out there all week.

Post your finds on this thread.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, not one reply after almost a week. There must be someone who wants to find some good stuff. Amazing!!! Where are the lurkers?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Surprising that someone didn't jump at the chance to detect that area! Or they did and don't post in the forum!
Best of Luck coinshooter!

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't find him, but I am blown away that not one person paid attention to this. I would drive near 100 miles for a chance like that. Maybe I'll hit it in a year or two. Nobody here will hunt it by then. :>)

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no Idea. It was relayed to me. I am vaguely familiar with Fredberg, but I didn't grow up there, I just married into it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of you to give the tip! If I lived close I would have checked it out. We have a lot of lurkers that never sign up so you never know. We should have a tip section you can only see if you sign up.Hope some history was saved.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For the tip , I also wished I lived Closer.
I'll bet Relic Hunters are all over that area , if it is not a route that goes by or through a National Park or St Park.

Thats the way it is here in Ga, when the County or DOT is doing road work, , I heard the NP owns the Intersections & Right of ways.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For the tip , I also wished I lived Closer.
I'll bet Relic Hunters are all over that area , if it is not a route that goes by or through a National Park or St Park.

Thats the way it is here in Ga, when the County or DOT is doing road work, , I heard the NP owns the Intersections & Right of ways.

Davers

We got a heads up when they were putting in the Sonic and a strip mall in Chickamauga ,Ga. It was the town not the Battlefield. Took awhile but we got permission. Come to find out a guy hunted it with out permission and found a buckle and plate in a pile they had pushed up. We only found william cleaners but we had permission at least. Just slow out of the gate. Now days you hear or see something you better go for it quick.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man in these parts you gotta "Chase the Dozier s" These Days .
Funny what pop's up after a little dirt is moved, many places around here used to be fields but have not been turned in est, 70-80 years or have turned back into Woods. So many relics are hiding deep or under trees.

When they were (still are around Kolb Farm & Cheeteam Hill ) ;Widening the roads & putting in walking paths around Kenn, Mtn, Heard It was "Not Cool" to Detect those areas . Did take a walk once but tried not to look Down to much , lol.

On the other hand the is a Neighborhood that has been built right up to the N,Park lines over the past year + $4-500,000 Dollar homes. Was able to save a Couple Dozen Minnie Types from there where there are now Homes Built.
Was able to throw unknown Iron & horse shoe pieces over the silt fence into the Park.

It's a Thin line tho, One wrong step & your paying Big Money Etc, for a couple Minnie Balls .
Besides I have found most Relics around Battle Sites are long gone & 95% of the Bullets are Squashed.

Not many Collectors Want Fired & Squashed Bullets but when you know where they came from it makes them worth that much more. IMO

Funny also we got a couple "Talkers" down here that ,when the Zoning signs go up ,try to get Exclusive Hunting rights, that's BS IMO. Relic Hunter are one of a Kind, like the Old 49 'ers lol.
Davers

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man I wish I was several hundred miles closer. I would be all over that....thanks for the tip anyway.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be willing to bet there have been quite a few guys check out your spot.... and I'm sure I personally know quite a few of them. It seems like almost everyone in that area has a detector and uses it to relic hunt and not much gets past those hardcore fellers.

Count me in the list of "if I lived closer", though!

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One guy on here told me you need a permit to detect in Fredericksburg? Is that true? Where? What about on private property. Sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet that there was a coil or coils being swung over that newly exposed dirt within minutes of the dirt workers leaving. I know that is how it would be here!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about a decayed farm with a one room log cabin with laid stone foundation dating to 1780's and out building, hand dug well. Never been searched, It would be very remote area for time period and wonder if coins would be a possibility probably as they probably just bartered good

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, probably like most places. It's hunt it before someone else gets there first.
Still, those places may "look" hunted out, but things do pop up that others may have missed.
I found my 1909-S-VDB and a Barber Quarter after I had hunted a particular lot (and others too), at least 6 times.
Funny what can show up.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a year and a half ago construction started on property directly across from Wilmer McLean's old homestead between Centreville and Manassas, Va. I tried to get permission to hunt but could never get there when the project foreman was there.

Sully2013

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been on in a long time. I am the "Sully" Johnnycat mentioned. I passed by this site a few weeks ago w/ my bro and and asked him if he wanted to check it out but he wasn't interested. I still my go by there sometime. I wished I wish I would've taken advantage of it while they were still moving the dirt around.

The site is actually the town of Falmouth in Stafford County. As early as 1642, English ships sailed to Falmouth to trade skin and furs with the local indians. In the 1700's it was used as a port for the slave trade. It's a pretty historical area.

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would welcome an invite ! I am not far away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread