Can a BH quick draw II find 0.25 grams of gold?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about buying a BH II and selling my ACE 250. Kellowco website says it can find a 1/4" nugget 4 inches down.
If I smelt the gold I have i'll have a 1/8" baby nugget.
The guy is asking $100 it has 3 coils with it. So im going to sell my 250 which is like new and buy that because my ace cant pick up any gold unless its jewelry.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4" is NOT .25 gram, and there is no way a BH can find a .25 gram of gold. I doubt it could even find that 1/4" nugget 4 inches away!

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold I have right now only weighs 0.25 g. I mean atleast it finds gold right? unlike my ace 250

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking about buying a BH II and selling my ACE 250. Kellowco website says it can find a 1/4" nugget 4 inches down.
If I smelt the gold I have i'll have a 1/8" baby nugget.
The guy is asking $100 it has 3 coils with it. So im going to sell my 250 which is like new and buy that because my ace cant pick up any gold unless its jewelry.

are one of the coils the, 4 inch Gold Nugget Search Coil
if you buy, let us know how that coil worked
my old 505 with the 4 inch coil, would find gold rings

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold I have right now only weighs 0.25 g. I mean atleast it finds gold right? unlike my ace 250

Every detector can find gold if it's a large enough piece. Most detectors have no problem with ring-sized gold, but when you are talking about prospecting it takes some very specialized detectors. Also, total weight is irrelevant, it depends on the size, shape and mass of the individual pieces of gold.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I wouldn't sell the 250 to buy the BH II thinking your buying a gold detector, BH II is not a gold nugget shooter.....

That 4" depth on gold isn't in hot ground where most gold is found, it has no manual ground balance either, GB is preset...

If your wanting to pick it up, buy it as a separate detector..

Last edited:

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a machine designed for gold if you are after little natural nuggets.

Something like a 2nd hand goldbug or lobo, or a pulse induction machine that has a low delay. (Minelabs)

If budget is really tight and you know the hot end of a soldering iron you could go with a kit like those from Welcome to Silverdog.
You will have to make a shaft and housing,wind the coils etc, but that gives you the ability to have a specific size for your application.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well see the problem is, I'm poor so spending $300 on a used detector isnt in my budget, I honestly do not like the ace 250. I think the only thing I like on it is the pin pointing option which is not very accurate.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kitt...get what you can afford and learn to speak its language.With patience and skill it will pay for itself and get you an upgrade.I hunted all winter 3yrs ago with a guy swinging a bounty hunter he got for 50 bucks at a yard sale.He hade that machine wired.I was really impressed with what it could do in the hands of a hunter who understood it so completely.even his pinpointer was a 15 dollar hf.his digger was 11 bucks.he outhunted me and our other buddy his share of times.

Get one...and get going..:occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well see the problem is, I'm poor so spending $300 on a used detector isnt in my budget, I honestly do not like the ace 250. I think the only thing I like on it is the pin pointing option which is not very accurate.

I started out with a POS radioshack detector, but I found a ton of clad with it and I used it to pay for my next upgrade. Start with what you can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread