Gold coins with AT Pro

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you AT Pro users lucky enough to find gold coins, can you shed some light on what the VDI readings were when you found them? I would think a gold coin would read higher than say a gold ring. Does The VDI change much regarding size of coin....I.e. a $20 gold piece vs. a small gold coin? A little side bar....thanks to everyone for your posts!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No luck here either.
I have air-tested small gold bullion though.
A 1/10th oz Kruger reads 48-50. A 1/10 oz Eagle reads 55-58. More silver in Eagles.
GL
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the higher the karot AND the larger the gold target the higher the reading.Also white gold reads a bit lower than yellow gold(nickle vs copper)alloy.
small ladies gold band 14k yellow will hit about 48-52.large mens signet(heavy)yellow gold 14k 55-62/18k 60-70
the bummer for us is that if you want to get gold coins or jewelry you really have to dig every midtone.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested one of my wife's heavy gold rings and it hit at 48-52 just like Bigfoot says you have to dig every mid tone if you want to find gold. Yeah bummer

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not found any gold coins yet but the 2 pieces of gold jewelry I have dug (a ring and a earring) each came up a solid 53 on my AT Gold. Both times I thought I had just another soda can pop top. Glad I dug them! Also have tested a small gold nugget I have by air and in a test garden, comes up as a 58. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold coins on an ATP read in at pull tabs .. dig the pull tabs :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread