Ancient Chinese explorers landed in America

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were Europeans in that area before 1730.

In 1716 a memoir drawn up by Governor Philippe de Rigaud Vaudreuil showed lakes and portages as far as Lake of the Woods from which flowed a river to the Sea of the West. This implies that there had been Frenchmen west of Lake Superior before Vérendrye. La Vérendrye questioned the Indians who came to trade. He learned of the Mandan country on the upper Missouri. These people were described as white men who lived in big houses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Gaultier_de_Varennes,_sieur_de_La_Vérendrye

The Coureur des Bois had the habit of moving in with the natives and taking local wives. Sacagawea's husband was a Frenchman who had settled in what is now Idaho. In the early 1700's there were three French forts around Lake Winnipeg. Henry Kelsey visited the lake in 1690 and mapped it. The British also had a fort in Manitoba in 1684 (near York Factory).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All due respect Charlie, I am well versed in the fur trade history of my province and the HBC fort "York Factory" was located at Hudson's Bay. This fort had Natives travel all the way up north to trade and the HBC didn't have their first inland post until the 1770's. Kelsey landed in the area known as "The Pas" which is over 500 miles from the area in Southern Manitoba where LaVerendrye saw his "White Indians."
The three French forts around Lake Winnipeg were built by LaVerendrye!
Yes, the French had forts as west as Rainy River during the late 1600's/early 1700's but none had ventured past Rat Portage and EVERY history buff will tell you that LaVerendrye was the first to build posts and explore the southern portion of Manitoba and the first white man to meet the Mandan, which were close to the village of "7 foot tall white Indians."
We're talking about the area close to the Manitoba/North Dakota border.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from my own personal database (I have spent 20 years collecting information from journals)

"FORT ST. PIERRE
French fort on Rainy Lake first built by La Noue in 1717. In that year, he was sent by Vaudreuil to establish posts at Kaministiquia, (Where an older fort existed) then go to Rainy Lake (called Takamamiononis) to establish a 2nd post, then to acquire into establishing a 3rd post at the Lake Assinipoels. Little is known about that expedition. In 1731, La Jemeraye constructed Fort St. Pierre for La Verendrye at the outlet of Rainy Lake. It's site was 2 miles east of present Fort Frances (1930) and half a mile up the Rainy River from the lake. Destroyed before 1763. The NWC rebuilt a fort on this site and called it Fort Rainy Lake or Fort Lac la Pluie. The HBC also operated a fort in 1790 called Rainy Lake Fort near the present Fort Frances, which they erected in 1820."

That's as far west as the French went before LaVerendrye.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From spanishhill.com
Their Size :

Captain John Smith described the size of the Susquehannocks as follows: "60 of those Susquehannocks came to the discoverers [Smith's party] with skins, bows, arrows, targets, beads, swords, and tobacco pipes for presents. Such great and well proportioned men are seldom seen, for they seemed like giants to the English, yea and to the neighbors [other Indians]..."

Their larger size has been confirmed many times, for example:

Marshall Joseph Becker
~Pennsylvania Archaeologist, Volume 61 No. 2 September 1991
The Stature of A Susquehannock Population of the Mid-16th Century Based on Skeletal Remains from 46HM73

ABSTRACT
When John Smith first contacted a group of Susquehannock in 1608 he described these people as "gyant-like." Direct confirmation of this observation can now be provided through studies of the long bones of a population which was part of the Susquehannock "confederacy." Recent excava- tions at a Susquehannock site on the South Branch of the Potomac River in Hampshire County, West Virginia, revealed portions of a palisaded village and associated features dating from the middle of the 16th century. This remnant of a flood-destroyed site yielded 13 relatively intact burials. Surface collection of skeletal material immediately downstream of the site after the flood provided long bones from at least 18 other adults. Calculation of the stature of the individuals represented in this sample and comparisons with the other Native American populations of this period confirm John Smith's observations.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Are you calling the famous explorer a liar? So what if the height is 7 feet tall or 4 apples high?

The height thing is at least as important as the color thing, if not moreso.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm merely attempting to inject some logic into an illogical conversation. Do you have something to add to what I posted?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about scratching the surface back in the '40s cartoonists would often picture "digging to
China" images. They were ahead of their time. The ancient Chinese explorer Foo Onyu claimed
to have sailed a junk to Florida and discovered The fountain of yuth. He named it Junksonville.
Hey Lastleg, was that the Foo Onyu that was related to Who flungpoo?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, turn your post around the other way. And it can say the same exact thing in reverse. If the "truth" was that it's random squiggly lines (like seeing a cow shape in the clouds), then .... the "believers" need to "find the truth" in that situation (that it's random coincidences). And just because something is "possible", doesn't mean it's "true" or happened. In other words: "open-mindedness" works both ways :)
Spoken like a true Archaeology professor. :laughing7:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry to be a doubting-Thomas, but .... I'm not buying it.
I read a study once that .... people, when asked to draw a "random geometric shape" (hidden-from-view of each other), would tend to draw a house shape (square with triangle on top). At first glance, you might think "aha! they're psychic!". But no. It only means that when handed a pencil and paper, might draw similar things. Doh!
It's a "Cross Genetic Cranial Condition" that proves that your Ancestral Roots have the ability to touch your subconscious mind and remind you of events that were experienced by a blood relative, many centuries ago. I consistently drew a Pyramid. That proved, (before DNA analysis ), that there was an Egyptian Heritage involved. Prior to that conclusion, I always believed there was strictly an Irish Heritage.
So if any of the early explorers were Irish, it could be they were really Egyptian Explorers.
Huh?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The height thing is at least as important as the color thing, if not moreso.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm merely attempting to inject some logic into an illogical conversation. Do you have something to add to what I posted?

So you're saying your an expert on logic? Why would a logic expert take part of an illogical discussion? :icon_scratch:
Well, I did make logical posts sharing accounts from written history.
Your long post about the average human height a few centuries ago is not rocket science. I thought everyone knew that humans were shorter in the past!
So, an early 18th century French explorer finds a tribe of 7 foot tall white Indians and writes about it. He was a very educated man who measured distances all the time.
He was well versed in surveying, map making, astronomy and had many men under his command as he was a military general.
He knew how to build his forts 30 feet away from the water but doesn't know how to measure the height of a human?
His account is very important as other accounts of 7 or 8 foot skeletons being excavated started to hit newspapers during the late 1800's, more than a century after LaVerendrye's journal.
The Smithsonian handles every one of those discoveries and we NEVER hear another word about it every again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread