Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worthwhile indeed!
Thanks for the read. I will look into the "Bent" artifacts further.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The artifact collection altogether consisted of six paired crosses, two ceremonial crosses and a ceremonial standard, very hard shortswords and spearheads and fragments of swords and spears-all carefully wrought as with loving care, many with symbolic pictures and two with Hebrew words as well Latin, the shade of lead ranging light gray to gunbarrel blue, the total collection weighing 145 pounds."

Wow, I can't even begin to unravel that mystery in my head. 2 sixty pound crosses!
I like how the article explains the soil conditions out there in the Arizona desert and how there's no disturbance to the hard-packed dirt.
Interested in more info on the Bent artifacts.
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting,,,

Tom,,

What did you base your feelings on this set of artifacts on? Not picking or anything.
I did a search as you suggested and sure enough,,, there were links there saying hoax.
Some based it on the language used in the inscriptions on the crosses and others used the fake caliche thought.

The inscription could have been done by a semi-literate member of the party who didn't have the intellect to parse the language correctly. I am just tossing things out there, not to prove that they are real or not but just to say that not everyone in those times were "scholars".
Same for the caliche,,sure it could have been faked by mixing lime with the current soil and adding some water,, it would surely harden to appear "old". But in the reading I did on the links that were there I saw no mention of how they got to the depth that they were found at. I have had NO experience with caliche but to me that would seem an inordinate amount of work,,in those days,,to fake anything.

And as for all the WIKI links,,, PFFFFT,, Wiki has been proven time and time again to be incorrect. BUT,, the references in WIKI are usually pretty spot on..
I am still pretty undecided as to the authenticity of these objects,,, some things say yes to me,, and some things say no.

Still,,, an interesting topic for discussion
Hit

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

seems quite definitive indeed charlie.What is not mentioned was during the time frame these items were"discovered"there was a national fever of archaeology.A person could make a fine living simply working a traveling disply of"amazing"history changing finds.Hence a motive.
To me it would seem things have changed little,anything goes in race for fortune and fame,faked youtube vids comes to mind.All that effort just to see if anyone would fall for it.No fame,no fortune only bragging rights.This"find"smacks of pure profiteering effort,not even that well done.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tobacco farmer from my hometown had quite a run with a statue, or petrified giant, that was "unearthed" right where he hired a crew to dig a well on a relative's property. Was a good ploy in 1869 and made him a lot of loot. ;-)

The Cardiff Giant (1869)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, there was a "renaissance" of egyptian ancient fervor, that gripped the american and european conscience, in the 1920s. All of the sudden mummies and pyramaids were sort of vogue. Doh!

There was buy/sell/trade of artifacts (ancient coins, souvineers, etc...) coming out of those various middle eastern countries at the time (and all-the-way to this day, for that matter). So for example: a tourist walking the streets of the Holy land, or Egypt, etc... could actually buy ancient coins from road-side market vendors, as souvineers. This explains how sometimes ancient European coins get found in the USA. "Coin collecting" , and the human instinct practice to "grab a souvineer" is NOT a modern practice. That's why, for example, so many GI's came home from WWI and WWII with European coins, to bring to their kids as souvineers. It's just human instinct.

But back to this Tucson thing: The human mind wants SSEEEOOO hard to believe. Because it's exciting and no one wants to be "left out". Why do you think all those silly treasure lore stories from the 1960s/70s treasure magazines were so fun reading ? Same pyschology. So we subconsciously throw common sense to the wind, and dismiss any evidence to the contrary as not being "open minded" .

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ya tom,
kinda like gilligans island.fun to watch,even get into...but no way a three hour tour required all those clothes and things.I believe we are all guilty of suspending disbelief in one way or another.illusion of extreeme danger=roller coaster...taco bell=real food...the dutchman actually lost his mine=reasonable thing to happen.mermaids found on beach=why not

It is what makes struggling through non interesting life bearable.ask pt barnum..:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread