Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing a great deal of research on Samuel Bellamy lately and his exploits at sea.

So many amazing facts that I wish I had learned a long time ago. Facts like how Bellamy started his career not as a pirate but as a treasure hunter like us. He lost all his money when he tried unsuccessfully to recover the 1715 Plate Fleet off the coast of Florida. It was after this failure that he ultimately decided to become a pirate.

Another fact I was amazed to read was how Bellamy served abroad the Marianne under the command of Captain Benjamin Hornigold and the yet to be infamous Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, then only a first mate. I like how Bellamy was voted captain of the Marianne and went on to be somewhat of a Robin Hood of the seas known for his mercy, while Blackbeard on the other hand was basically voted off the Marianne - ultimately to lead a life of terror and evil.

Bellamy's tale was definitely one of the most romantic and tragic tales from the golden age of piracy. I think everyone should read the history of his life, or at least the exciting parts toward the end of it. Here is a very nice reading of the tale of Bellamy that I found on youtube that I think all kids (and adults alike) should hear at least once:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
factual stories of pirates are very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread