Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find 'em. DONT LICK EM

...I know you're ecstatic over that "shiny bingo", but "please, don't lick the silver"!

Many of you may have seen this recent YouTube entry from our Canadian Friends.
Some may see it as a rite of passage, becoming one with the find, or .... you fill in the blank.
But think again before putting that seated in your mouth, consider it may do you more harm than licking a toilet seat.

Many of us have taken to using gloves year-round for detecting. A small investment (the proverbial "ounce of prevention") can keep you from glass or sharp object cuts. This is always a good general barrier protection against animal waste and we all know how much city parks are frequented by dogs.

So, scream, jump around like a madman, phone a friend, but please, just put the bling in your pouch once soundly and longingly admired. Stay well so you can get out and enjoy your detecting.

Last edited:

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinions vary for sure. Ever watch the small tikes at the playground eating dirt? Doesn't hurt them. Seems like most of us probably ate our share of common dirt in our youth. We survived. My kids survived doing it, my grand kids survived doing it, and I am sure my great grand kids will survive. I would agree if I was detecting next to a lead smelter or other polluting industry, or maybe in the immediate vicinity of a septic tank drain field. But most dirt is just plain harmless in my opinion. After all, your grains and vegetables grow in it, and our livestock graze the grass that grow in the pastures. I doubt licking a coin as a rite of passage, or even sucking on one to clean it enough to get a date, would cause any concern for most people.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey DD, thanks for weighing in on this. I hear what your saying, still, I would not put anything I found in the ground here in Baltimore or Galveston, for that matter, in my mouth. Happy hunting!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you really could get some bad bugs from the dirt,even though silver and copper is good at killing them i just could not do it.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jamey, I'm with you. I think it makes for some good video hype.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spit ( never swallow)but I wouldn't think a little dirt would hurt anyone .
Two second rule 200 yr rule what's the diff.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe,

it's dirt, but then I remember a coworker would say time and again, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". HH

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriends daughter once told me after picking up a piece of candy that "God made dirt and Dirt don't hurt!"

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you would flip if you saw what I do with a fresh garden carrot.....wipe the mud off and eat it right there on the spot! :o
I always thought the mud added some extra flavour. Ever try eating a mouthful of earthworms? I have.
Guess what it tastes like?
Mud! :laughing7:
Anyone who is afraid of DIRT being DIRTY shouldn't even be detecting!
No hard feelings but now you know.......
Muddyhandz always stands up for Dirtyhands!
:occasion14:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If dirt is the thing you worry about putting your tongue on ...your relationship may be in trouble.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If we saw everything in the foods we eat a little dirt would pale in comparison.
Dirtyhands can do whatever. She doesn't watch me and then post not to do what I do.
Besides ,her and her outfit are ahead of me on the count...:laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be about certain types of mushrooms and frogs. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hereabouts the parks are usually in the flood plains beside rivers. The spring flood conditions cause wastewater treatment plants to be overtaxed and most systems have a CSO problem under flood conditions (Combined Sewer Overflow). So, what that means is sewage backs up and flows into the flood plains instead of to the treatment plants. Every disease humans can contract end up in our sewage - and some bacteria and viruses are pretty robust.

Add to that fun stuff like tetanus, E. bola, viral hepatitis, amoebic parasites, roundworms, tapeworms . . .

It's a wonder we survive outdoors at all!

I would not put a dirty coin in my mouth.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well I grew up on a farm, still own it. We played in dirt, sand, picked rocks from the fields, planted, hoed, harvested bare handed. Shoveled enough stuff to cover the earth it seems. Ran the sawmill around all kinds of stuff. Even played in the barn, in the pens. Butchered our own and other folks animals. Handled animal guts, burnt garbage, played with pets of all kinds. MY wife is city born and raised. She has allergies and gets a cold it seems every other week. Me? I can't remember the last time I had the sniffles.

Just me, but I think that being exposed to all that stuff helped my body become stronger to any type of cold/virus/allergy.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was raised, thanks to protective parenting, to believe that money is dirty. ("Don't put that in your mouth! It's dirty money")

Recent studies have confirmed that 3,000+ germs can live on our currency/coinage and can be passed onto the next spender. There are even traces of cocaine on a large percentage of our currency. Which leads us to another meaning of "dirty money".............the ill-gotten gains of those involved in drug trafficking that need to be "laundered" for use in other enterprises.

Coins that have been in the ground (in most cases) are probably cleaner that what is in circulation.............and gold and silver do inhibit germ growth.........

All that taken into consideration, still, I would not "lick the silver".............thanks, Mom..............

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it! Thanks for your post and perspective. Now you've got me thinking about robin's and their favorite food. My article was partly 'tongue-in-cheek' and serious. Dirt doesn't bother this digger....and...thanks for supporting "DirtyHands" from up north, ehh!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I used the Canadians as a convenient target. Guilty as charged.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a difference between germs and germs. Those you have been around most of your life and are immune to are good ones! Those that are foreign and the fields full of geese poop that I hunt in....nooooo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread