Detecting with just a pistol probe as main instrument.

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, when I am out and about trekking, camping and exploring I usually carry a pistol probe in my kit. I am wondering if anyone else does this while leaving their main metal detector at home?

I have seen a few of Trenchmans video's on YouTube. The Detectorpro probes look like the best type probe for a lightweight and extremely mobile small detector system.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for solely using a probe as main instrument on occasions?

I have waterproofed my pistol probe and looking forward to using it on the beach.

I may strengthen the probe wand for insertion into the sand providing more depth.

Thanks.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish you luck with it. A probe really has advantages in restricted spaces or sniping. As a general detector the way you appear to be using it ; well its worth a go. I know that the UniProbe is used in much the same way by prospectors.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the employees at Home Depot had a Garrett cap on, so I walked up to him and inquired about it and asked him if he was a MDer. He said that he's just starting out, but hasn't found much at all. I asked him a few other questions, and then asked him what he had for a detector. He said, "It's a Garrett Pro-Pointer." I did a double take and asked him if that was all he had and he said yes. I asked him if he was thinking about getting another detector, and he said sure, someday, but the PP was fine for now.

I was like:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion, but I think lying on my back watching the clouds would be a LOT more rewarding. I could suggest lashing it to the end of a stick and swinging it back and forth, but then I would probably feel guilty knowing that you tried that.

OP
OP
B

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all guys.

Yes, I was thinking of a stick idea, maybe industrial velcro would do the job and easy disconnection for hand probe.

Here is my waterproof pistol probe for under the water. Aqua bag, poly propylene tubing heated and shaped to size and a lucazade bottle top cap.
MxjVNvz.jpg

Looking forward to trying it out. :-)

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not use a pistol probe but I do use a TRX, but in a little different manner. All metal structure like bleachers and tot lot metal has areas close that my base detector cannot reach because of the metal causing it to alarm but the pin pointer does fine in those areas. I tried a 18 inch light gauge plastic tube as an extension, but that did not work because of the loss of leverage and old sore wrists.

OP
OP
B

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blasted double post.

Attachments

• MxjVNvz.jpg
    MxjVNvz.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the import pin pointers that have the speaker and switch on the lid were stronger and had more sensitivity they would work great with the idea of slipping a extension tube over them and then the sound would flow up the tube very close to the user and a response from the detector could be easily heard by the user. They are also made in a water proof version. But they are only good for about an inch and a half depth which would limit their effectiveness.

OP
OP
B

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bowwinkles, I have been researching the TRX's for last hour.
Some reviews were saying 4 and even six inches, so good to read your experience with them.

I do like the pulse induction of the pistol probe.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pistol probe the door fell off and I had issues with people looking at it like it was a gun. My TRX will do 5 inches ion most dirt on coin sized items.

OP
OP
B

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm having to nutrialise the look of the pistol probe in the design, so out will come the yellow electrical tape.

I am tempted by the TRX, the fact it takes 2 AA battery's or 1 9 v is good too. Then I can solar charge my AA battery's when I'm on a long field trip. Also the vibrate mode is good for discrete beach searching.

I wonder how the TRX works with black sand and sea water?

Perhaps I'm asking a little too much for a pointer. Lol

I look at it like a handy side arm instead of a rifle.
The pistol probe is similar size to a Mauser Broomhandle. :-)

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't answer the black sand or salt water question but I did see where Whites now declares the TRX as waterproof like the Garrett Carrot. I have not see where there have been beach hunting issues with the TRX. maybe some of the ocean crowd can chime in and answer that.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It definitely has its places. On the way back from the beach in the lot I noticed large area of windswept sand against the curb. Detector as useless with all the rebar but the pro pointer started pulling coins from the piles of sand. I'd have stayed much longer if my wife didn't start laying on the horn! I suppose we were leaving after all.

Another idea was searching old coats and clothes in the thrift store for coins with it, but I haven't had the guts to try this yet.

OP
OP
B

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what your saying now Bowwinkles about the TRX pinpointer in an extension tube, I might use a piece of bamboo if I purchase the TRX pinpointer, it's would be a discreet way to detect.

Here's a video of something similar.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpHv8473Cs

I am still trying to find out how good the TRX is in and on salt winterised wet sand or even underwater, as they are now being sold as waterproof down to ten feet.

I do like them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions