Greenie
May 21, 2015
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a test today as I am trying to set my ATPro to only alert for gold, silver and platinum. I set the disc. between 35 and 55 for gold and 80-99 for silver. I do not have anything platinum on hand to set the disc to. Does anyone know what range platinum shows? I did the test by moving different KT of gold charms, rings and necklaces to get the gold numbers, between 35-55 was the sweet spot, did the same with .925 silver and silver coins to get my silver 80-99 numbers. Any help would be great.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to miss a lot of gold doing that I know some 18 and 22k come up in the 70 range.

OP
OP
W

WickedLife

Greenie
May 21, 2015
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried all ranges of KT gold from 10k-24k all came up between 35-50.. Would size of the gold item alter the disc? Say a small 14k charm at 40, but a 14k ring at 70 even though its same kt?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
size,white or yellow,soil mineralization/moisture,battery level....on and on.it all matters,you cant accurately pull that off

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please tell me where you hunt so I can follow you and pull those Indians, FE's, CW tokens, 1/2 cents, LC's, etc that you don't want.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Platinum will normally show as foil.
GL
Peace ✌

Well, only for modest/smaller size ones. But for a big chunky fat man's platinum (or a bar or ingot , etc...) it will read high. In the same way that if you got a big honkin fat man's gold ring (like a college class ring, for instance), they will read up near zinc or penny. Contrast to a small dainty gold ring, which can read down at foil.

So you can't say "gold" or "platinum" reads "such & such way". Because size plays into the formula for ANY type metal.

For example: What does a tab or snippet of an aluminum can read? Down near nickel or tab, right ? But what does an entire aluminum can read? Up at dime or quarter, right ? But notice that in each case, the composition remains the same: Aluminum. So what changed? THE SIZE. The same can be said of gold and platinum.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, only for modest/smaller size ones. But for a big chunky fat man's platinum (or a bar or ingot , etc...) it will read high. In the same way that if you got a big honkin fat man's gold ring (like a college class ring, for instance), they will read up near zinc or penny. Contrast to a small dainty gold ring, which can read down at foil.

So you can't say "gold" or "platinum" reads "such & such way". Because size plays into the formula for ANY type metal.

For example: What does a tab or snippet of an aluminum can read? Down near nickel or tab, right ? But what does an entire aluminum can read? Up at dime or quarter, right ? But notice that in each case, the composition remains the same: Aluminum. So what changed? THE SIZE. The same can be said of gold and platinum.

Well stated.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I would disk out is iron and dig everything else!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread