sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If this story is off base please remove at once. You know it seems now days that everything thing you do or say pesses someone off. I was reading an article where some nut job decided to take an issue into his own hands and I would call it no respect for the dead. IDIOT decides he is gonna take and pack up all the confederate flags from the soldiers at this Alabama cemetery and waltz off like he didn't have a clue in the world.Now if it were you or me we would try to be forming a key out of soap to get out but this guy seems to dare law enforcement to take any action against him. What the ell is this world coming to. I sure hope that karma gonna come and bite him in his arse. Boy some people cant let the past go , to me it symbolizes a meaning not an injustice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZUTPHEN:BangHead::icon_scratch:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A meaning indeed; I don't care where you're from.
A boy has got to be losin his cheese off his cracker to pull a stunt like that.
He's lucky too, to have gotten away with it that far..

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some research into modern-day grave robbing for an article I had to write and I was quite shocked to see how often people steal stuff off graves now. It's not just flowers either - one article I looked at told of someone who made off with nearly $10,000 worth of brass vases! Others steal toys off children's graves. Another lady was caught pinching wreaths off graves and then re-selling them from her home. In yet another instance, a truck full of people made off with a 3.5-ton statue from a cemetery. Just... whut.

But there's usually no surveillance equipment in cemeteries, and since many people have no shame or respect, they'll gladly steal stuff.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
he was a black lawyer and removed confederate flags from off civil war dead and confederate vet graves in a local graveyard where he lives he took them to city hall and dropped them off there --saying they "offended" him and that he thought of them as "racist symbols' -- not being his property he had no right to remove them from the gravesites and as such he should be charged with theft for removing them ..no matter that he did not keep them and the fact he left them at city hall --at the minimum he should be forced to 'replace" each and every one to where he took them from..

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass vase from my buddy's mother's grave was stolen a few months ago, along with many others.

A couple weeks after it happened, I was scrapping the oil burner and copper piping from my old baseboard heating system and noticed a large pile of brass vases at the scrapyard.

The battery from my parents' pop-up camper was stolen last summer, along with numerous other campers across the town. My dad was scrapping some light iron and saw HIS freakin' battery sitting on the ground with his name still on it in black Sharpie.

Some of these scrapyard guys are complicit in these crimes. They know where this stuff comes from, they just don't care. Yet they're so quick to call the cops if you try to argue with them over being cheated out of the dollar value of a few pounds of copper.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
people will take anything from graves. Flowers kept disappearing from my brothers grave and others as well and then someone called the cops when they witnessed a theft. Turns out it was a couple that owned a flower shop about 20 miles away.Me and my mom were very happy and disgusted that day.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research into modern-day grave robbing for an article I had to write and I was quite shocked to see how often people steal stuff off graves now. It's not just flowers either - one article I looked at told of someone who made off with nearly $10,000 worth of brass vases! Others steal toys off children's graves. Another lady was caught pinching wreaths off graves and then re-selling them from her home. In yet another instance, a truck full of people made off with a 3.5-ton statue from a cemetery. Just... whut.

But there's usually no surveillance equipment in cemeteries, and since many people have no shame or respect, they'll gladly steal stuff.
The article you about read about $10,000 worth of brass vases happened here in the town I live in, it ended up being one of the caretakers/greens keepers of the cemetery! If I remember right they recovered them at one of the many scrap yards, since then they have passed laws where anything more than $10.00-$20.00 you have to have picture I.D.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small town I grew up in had a guy that played for the 1927 NY Giants NFL champions, there was a football shaped marker attached to the tombstone on his grave that noted it and some scum bag stole it

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a special place in hell for people that do those kinda things.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a thing about folks taking from the dead, and the one thing that I had was a big fat zero tolerance for the thieving crackers that stole from the cemeteries and tried to pass it off to my yard. I ended up on the 6 o'clock news once even for turning the POS into the cops. It just isn't right for anyone to stoop so low as to steal the urns, plaques off of the folks that put us here in the first place. In the 13 yrs (94-07) wrist jewelry was applied 4-5 times at the yard over this, if I had my way they would of been spitting or crapping bronze, but then I would have been the bad guy. For a yard to accept the pillaged goods from a cemetery is on the same level as the thief and they should be dealt the same loosing hand. Since getting out of the business the yard guys have spoken of the container buyers of scrap accepting and basically turning a blind eye, and have been caught with hundreds of these urns that they've bought from the druggies.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he was a black lawyer and removed confederate flags from off civil war dead and confederate vet graves in a local graveyard where he lives he took them to city hall and dropped them off there --saying they "offended" him and that he thought of them as "racist symbols' -- not being his property he had no right to remove them from the gravesites and as such he should be charged with theft for removing them ..no matter that he did not keep them and the fact he left them at city hall --at the minimum he should be forced to 'replace" each and every one to where he took them from..

I don't care that it offended him, he went onto private property, removed items that were not his and absconded with the property..in other words he STOLE and that whether or not it offended his sorry black A he should still be placed under arrest on multiple charges one of them being defiling a gravesite. I am offended at these jerks with the loud speakers in their cars so should I have the right to go take their speakers,amps and decks? No and why? Because I was raised right, I have moral values and God said thou shalt not steal.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
we had folks steal a bronze battle site maker from the local "cedar creek" civil war fight put up by the SCVA ,,, and grave yard theft of bronze items as well ... after awhile the thieves were caught and now sit in jail

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and grave yard theft of bronze items as well ... after awhile the thieves were caught and now sit in jail

That's something that doesn't happen a whole lot up here, slap on the wrist, give out another cheque, and the lack of respect continues.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
In NYC there is an old Jewish Cementery. I was with a friend who was putting flags on the graves of vets. One was a confederate soldier who served in the Army and Navy. He got a confederate flag.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea sad you see a lot of stealin and knocked over and broken tombstones, seems no one has respect for the living or let alone the dead. terriable

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the scrap yards here in town/county, needs an I.D. no matter $$ amount
if its not an aluminum can, grave site grave thieves need about a 10yr
sentence to think about that theft

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; I actually caught one of the thieves in the act. I literally punched his lights out. Held him on the ground and called the cops. They came and arrested him. This scum kept telling the cops I assaulted him. I denied it. The cops just smiled and took him away. Came Court time the next morning I made sure I was there. Judge asked me what happened. I told him that I tried to stop him verbally but he became combative and swung at me. Thus I decked him good and held him for the cops. Judge said ok thank you. The scum got 6 months for this Offence. Turns out he had a Warrant for his Arrest in another case for Robbery. He is now doing 3 years to boot. Good Riddance. If I catch them they won't have to worry about just the cops. Enough said on that. Use your imagination. I'll do it again too. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions