141 year old fingerprints on a shell casing. Impossible?

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
fingerprints are very possible, however I'm not sure that it can be lifted with tape. After over 100 years or so, the oils from the fingerprints can alter the corrosion. I've seen this with firearms that haven't been cleaned regularly. I imagine it can happen the same way with brass casings.

As for burned in... I doubt it. Most firearms eject the spent cartridges and they aren't touched when hot.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no but super glue "smoking" can set fingerprints * --csi trick -- the super glue fumes stick to the prints ...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from the age I would compare them with T_H's prints

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
fingerprints are very possible, however I'm not sure that it can be lifted with tape. After over 100 years or so, the oils from the fingerprints can alter the corrosion. I've seen this with firearms that haven't been cleaned regularly. I imagine it can happen the same way with brass casings.

As for burned in... I doubt it. Most firearms eject the spent cartridges and they aren't touched when hot.

This. Additionally, perspiration tends to cause oxidation. This won't really rust a piece of brass, but it will change how it weathers in that area. If you lifted them off with tape though, this probably isn't the case here. (The case here! See what I did there? :laughing7: )

There is no model that I'm aware of that can account for every situation in every terrain. When a person handles something, discards it, and then it sits there for decades, weird things happen.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most firearms eject the spent cartridges and they aren't touched when hot.

I wish I had known that when I tried to pick up some spent casings from a 25 shot run through an Uzi when I was a kid, dropped it like a hot potato!:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Finger prints can be left on old Brass shell casings the same as they can be and are often left on many coins! The oils and salts in the body and hands are transferred onto the shell casing by holding it and since finger prints have valleys and ridges, the high points (ridges) of the finger prints leaves a perfect finger print on them. If the finger prints (actually the oils and salts) are not cleaned off within a short time from when they are left, they permeate the metal of the shell casing and are pretty much left on it forever or at least until the metal of the shell casing degrades. It is likely that the finger print impression can be lifted from the shell casing by carefully removing the dust, then placing clear tape over the finger print and pressing the tape tight against the metal. Once the tape is removed, the finger print will likely be imprinted on the tape which can them be attached to a white piece of paper and viewed, photographed and analyzed.

Frank

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass casings tarnish easily. There would have been a chemical reaction between chemicals on the fingers of the loader and contact with the brass to "etch" a print onto the case. In modern cases, there is a great deal of controversy as to whether a print on a case can survive being fired considering the heat cause by the explosion. Therein lies the argument between prosecutors and defense attorneys. There is a possibility that your case, even though manufactured in the 1870's, was fired long after that time period. The corrosive properties of black powder are quite extreme, and I think if a shooter handled black powder, or at least other fired cases, he could very likely leave such a print, which is an etching, not an actual print by the time you found it. The only thing that would ruin the etching is an application of another acid that could etch over the original. The 38.40 was a black powder cartridge, .38 caliber, with 40 grains of black powder.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Send it to lab for DNA analysis. ;)
Seriously though, I see no reason why this couldn't occur.
Peace ✌

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. I would have thought the oil from prints would have broken down, must be some kind of chemical reaction

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread