JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like to detect in church yard, but don't know how to ask, or contact

I went out swinging with my Eurotek Pro pretty much when it stayed warmer than 40 degrees, but I passed by a church over the weekend that I really, really want to look around near. It's a church I've always known was there, but I only recently noticed it was built in 1888 and I just have a feeling there's some nifty stuff hiding there. Plus, the yard is very small and I could probably sweep the whole yard in under an hour, digging included.

Two problems: I cannot for the life of me find any contact information for the place like a phone number or an email, and their Facebook page is unofficial. I don't even know if it's open anymore; their message board out front that usually has events or religious insights written on it has been blank for a couple years. I'm also not religious and thus not a churchgoer, so I have no parish connections to rely on. How in the world do I figure out who's in charge of this church if nobody's there? I imagine there must at least be a groundskeeper because somebody's mowing the lawn and tending to the flowers. ???

Also, I've never asked permission to dig anywhere because I've stuck to places like the local levee and riverbanks. I imagine an in-person meeting would be best, but how do I do that if there are no services going on? Aside from face-to-face contact, would a call or a letter be better? Or email? I have read some other folks' experiences with getting permission to detect churchyards and I can absolutely promise them I won't make a mess or rip up the lawn, will clean up any trash I find, will donate anything significant to the church's history back to the church and will return any items I find whose owners can be possibly identified. I just have to figure out who's in charge of the property.

Any suggestions? I do absolutely know I need permission to detect on church property. I'm a member of a Facebook group of people who grew up in this area (some of whom still live here) and I'm going to see if anyone can help me out there.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the public library nearest this church - talk to the librarian , tell her/him that you are interested in this church and that you
would like to find out as much as you can about it . If you have the name of the church , and the county or township that it's in
you may well be able to get some information on the internet . If it is, or was part of a well known affiliation of churches, not some
strange offbeat denomination - then there should be plenty of local history available . I would find some older residents of the area
and talk to them about it - these older citizens are a wealth of information - and many are so willing to talk about the old days , if
anyone would listen . The local newspaper office maybe a resource that you could check as well - good luck.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I cannot for the life of me find any contact information for the place like a phone number or an email...
metal_detector.gif
Please forgive me for this (below) - I was searching and found this reply - after I stopped laughing...
If it's a ghost town church, you can stand in front of it, or where it used to be and yell as loud as you can "If it's NOT ok to search here Ring the Church Bell" if nobody rings it, You got permission"? ;D? ? ? ? ? Sorry? :D? it just HAD to be said? ;)? ? I usually ask who happens to be there, on the day I see a car. Most but not all preachers have said yes. All church members I have asked have said yes. or "I don't see why not" which means YES to me.

Now - maybe you could leave the name of the church (and city) - a member might have information on the Church. If not - I understand - PM me - maybe I can find some information offline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Their number isn't in the phone book, and just about all internet info I've found is on non-profit/tax-related sites, but without addresses or phone numbers included. I had also went looking for their phone number because my mother expressed interest in where they bought their railing planters and wanted to call them, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with anyone there. I don't even think they have a parking lot, the church is so tiny. I'm wondering if the church has been closed, but then why bother with the flowers if no one's going there?

The library in that town is just a little way down the road from this church, so I'll try there too. Thanks for the info! I'm not holding out too much hope for securing permission if I do find someone to talk to, but ya never know. Vpnavy, I sent you a PM too.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I strongly advise that you do in fact hold out hope ! cause without it you pretty much got Jack%$$# (if you know what I mean)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some churches have a parsonage. A home on or near the church yard for a clergy member to live in.
The local neighbors should know what is going on for any traffic of parish or caretakers.
The library a good choice.
Always something to find of interest but stay focused, unlike myself in old books......:laughing7:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with some of the nearby residents.........many local families will still have some tie from the past to the church and may know who to contact.

Also check to find the denomination........for example, Methodist churches fall under the auspices of a conference and if the church has been abandoned, the conference would be the political body to contact...............

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a question like this a few years ago on a different forum. The detectorist prayed the night before the hunt, and in the morning, went to the church and started detecting. A bit later a clergyman came out and asked the person detecting if he had permission to detect the church. The detectorist told the clergyman that he had spoken to the clergyman's boss the night before and had received permission. Not to sure what would have happened if he had been asked the the boss's name, but he wasn't, and he did detect.

WickedLife

Greenie
May 21, 2015
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a idea to find out if its permanently closed, I could be wrong and this may mislead you, sorry if it does...Wait till Sunday morning, get up really early. May have to go to bed early the night before...but any how wake up say 7am, take a shower, have a cup of coffee maybe some toast. Read the Sunday news paper. Around 8:30am start to get dressed. Put on your Sunday best!! Comb hair nice, straighten your tie...hop in your car, let it warm up for a min, don't forget your seat belt, AND DRIVE TO SUNDAY SERVICE!!! If you the only one in the parking lot at 9am...ITS CLOSED!

The yard/flowers may be kept up by local volunteers or Historic society. Not necessarily the church itself.

Hope that helps!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my city tax assessor web site and have found who owns properties. Maybe that can help you. If your town has that kind of website that is!!

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I think I found out why there's no contact information for this church. It's temporarily closed because it's being repaired. There was a flood in this area a few years ago, and that particular part of town got hit really hard. Some houses had to be torn down, some had to be rebuilt or repainted, and the church did not escape water damage. I just didn't think anybody was still fixing property from that flood now.

Now I'm really not sure about asking permission. Would it be better or worse to ask now when they're in the process of fixing the property? I feel like it'd be better because no one's going to be there for services, but it could also be worse because they could see my wanting to detect as destruction of the front yard when they're all working so hard to restore the church. But at the very least, I've got some Facebook contacts to try. All they can say is "no."

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I think I found out why there's no contact information for this church. It's temporarily closed because it's being repaired. There was a flood in this area a few years ago, and that particular part of town got hit really hard. Some houses had to be torn down, some had to be rebuilt or repainted, and the church did not escape water damage. I just didn't think anybody was still fixing property from that flood now.

Now I'm really not sure about asking permission. Would it be better or worse to ask now when they're in the process of fixing the property? I feel like it'd be better because no one's going to be there for services, but it could also be worse because they could see my wanting to detect as destruction of the front yard when they're all working so hard to restore the church. But at the very least, I've got some Facebook contacts to try. All they can say is "no."

ETA: Ya know what, screw it! I just sent the reverend at that church a Facebook message asking permission. Fingers crossed. Guy seems like a younger, laid-back fellow, but I don't know if he's the one in charge of the property. I figure he can maybe point me in the right direction if he's not who I need permission from.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why all the fuss? I have my eyes on the same sort of ancient and dead church up here. When I am ready to detect it, I will simply go to the town hall and ask about it. Works every time for me.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know I could ask at town hall about church property since I figured somebody else was in charge of the church and the land on which it stands.

On top of this, I found another possible place to try: my town's historical society. Their museum is downtown, was built in 1881 and used to be a rail station. I smell pay dirt! Also, my former English teacher (who still remembers me a decade after graduation) is on the board of directors there, so he can probably vouch that I'm not a troublemaker or a jerk. Ohhh I do hope somebody lets me detect in one of these places. I just know there's gotta be something cool buried on these properties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread