borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Re: MD'ing is wrecking my career!

Recruiter,
When I made my decision in Feb to retire, I came under a lot of ribbing from my peers..........because they are under the influence of "money" (UIM). I actually had peers that actually could retire, but weren't because they were holding out for another year so that they would be making another $20 a month in their retirement!!!!! I'm sorry, but Life means a lot to me...now. And, if the Good Lord will give me just another couple of years to live while MD'ng.....I'll be happy. Before...I was on call 24/7....working 18+ hours every day....7 days a week, including holidays. For years I missed Christmas....because I was "out of the area" on an assignment. And....my daughter's birthday is Christmas.....which meant I missed many of my daughter's birthdays. Not good from dad/daughter relationships.

Sorry this has developed into a soapbox rant. But I can honestly say that I never knew the wonderful feeling of communing with Nature until I started MD'ng. Are we sick? Well........not anymore sick than those who forsake the happiness of Life/Nature for the pleasure of money. I feel grateful to be able to have had the opportunity to retire and MD...............before they carried me out in a pine box. And, you know something? Even my wife and daughter are glad I took up MD'ng..............although they have warned me that the first time I start wearing black knee-high socks with garters and black shoes...........they will commit me............... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-----Mel

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

I agree totally with borninok, There is WAY more to life than money. If work is getting in the way of your zen, maybe it's time to at least change jobs. I have an easy time saying this as I am self-employed(I work Fri-Sat, 10-12 hours a week), but on the same note I am self employed because I got sick of answering to some suit-jock in the daily grind rat-race. Start doing something you love, if it turns into a money career, cool, but it isn't easy. You'll get a lot more free-time being self-employed, but the stresses are a lot higher, you can't blame a co-worker for a "mess-up". Honestly in my opinion, there is so much more to life than the aforementioned rat-race that I can't even begin to tell you.

NEVER let yourself be "OK" with being miserable.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

So, I looked around my house to see all the things I started and hadn't
finished, and tonight, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of White
Zinfandel, a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, a bottle of Kahlua, a package
of Oreos, the remainder of my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the
cheesecake, some Doritos and a box of chocolates.

];D ;D ;D ;D ;D I like it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move
TOO FUNNY!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread