Button Grading??

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; There is no known "Button Grading" Service anywhere. We use different methods to Grade buttons. First is the Type. Then the Rarity. After that is Condition. Then Comparison. The basic Button History goes :

One Piece Pewter & Tombac = Up to 1720 or so.

One Piece Buttons = Up to 1820.

Two Piece Buttons from 1820 - Present.

After 1820 buttons are dated by design and style of the backing.

Some of the early 2 Piece Buttons had a locking type of shank that allowed it to be used for either a coat or a dress made with thick materials. These were primarily used by women for dresses though ok.

After that a button is defined by its design. Especially Military ones. Then the ornate buttons.

Anyways, I did not see your button or I could at least date and ID it for you ok.
Goodv Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
melnibe

melnibe

Feb 6, 2006
Southern Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX
I have a date range and I'd just looking for rarity and value. Rev War 6th regiment militia button....Southern Vermont

Attachments

• 20150530_163325.jpg
    20150530_163325.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Melnibe; Here is a direct Link to the History of the Continental Army Mass 6th Regiment History. Your Button dates to 1775 and has seen a lot of action in it's day. Great Find. Here is the Link : 6th Massachusetts Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yours is in Better shape than their best button shown. Here's the Link: http://www.historicalshop.com/sitecontents/colonial/revbuttons-items/massachusetts1077.htm
Their Button is listed at $550. Your is way better. They say up to $2500 for a complete piece. Does yours have a full shank on the reverse?? If not I would by their Accounts place this one around $1500 - $1700. With the shank I'd place its value at $2200 ok. I hope this helps.
PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions