I represent you...you represent me...

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A short rant.

Saw a video or two a while back that boiled me. Many of us have lamented on seeing the careless and impulsive doings of others in this hobby(trash and holes left, digging like drunk ground hogs, vile, reactive and uncourteous behavior to property owners and spectators etc). We all should be reminded again about what one rotten apple can do if thrown in with the rest of the bunch. If word gets around by one's careless actions...that basically represents in the publics' mind 'all of us', then, it'll become more and more difficult to keep the hobby as we have it. I know that one sloppy digger might not be the main reason for some actions prohibiting this hobby in some states, but all in all...if we could just honor and maintain the following adage considerately for oneself and all:

"I represent you...you represent me!"

We can't enjoy this together if we aren't in this together.

I yield the floor.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New people are joining this sight all the time and this is a rant that cannot be over spoken the more it's brought up the more likely it is people will learn .
Keeping it neat and and trash free is a responsibility we all share

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its not the new folks joining this site I worry about.They are already showing a desire to learn.Its the completely unknowing,uncaring person who takes a detector out to the park with no clue or desire to even get a clue.The grab a shovel and go.

I ran into such a person who explained,"I;m no differant than a gopher or dog digging,whats the problem"I gave him some tips and started fixing his mess.A couple minutes later he joined me untill his damage was repaired.Spent the next hour showing him how to hunt,cut a plug etc.

Ya just never know what the mindset really is with some,could be that some really dont know better.Some do and dont care.

do what you can,all you can do.
cheers

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I would get po'd when seeing inexperienced diggers. Since, I also try to teach proper techniques. Funny thing is, some find my help intrusive. Always new detectorists looking for quick riches.
And yes, it does effect us all.
An entire park system near me has been off limits to metal detecting since 2008 because of sloppy diggers.
I hate to bring this up again, but the outrageous TV/Cable shows don't help either.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread