SO... You want a detector to make money ? The rude reality of "life in the slow lane"

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Btw the thread "subject" line was supposed to /should say "Brutal" not "rude".

Don't know what the heck happened... ?
auto corrected ?
mind fart ?
Alien subject line invaders ?
Me laming out and typing too fast and thinking of other things as I type...
trying to refrain from shortsha. ?
Get n lay z ?

So correct it. Just try:laughing7:

DonM

Apr 2, 2003
Whitby, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in this hobby for over 30 years and during those early years it was not unusual to find 25 or 30 silvers in a 4or 5 hour hunt - nowadays I am thrilled if I manage to find one on an outing. Every time I go out, I am reminded of Mel Fisher's daily mantra - "Today's the day". I still have all of my silver coins that I have found over the years and when people ask me what I am doing, I just tell then that I am coin collecting the hard way.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
being a metal detectorist / gold panner / stone grubber / treasure hunter to try to produce a "profiet" great enough to live off of or really affect your "bottom line" enough to matter is just about impossible to do these days -- a fun hobby to maybe make a few bucks now and then yah that's possible -- to earn money at it requires you to keep cost low * -- say buy a el cheapo tracker IV * at hobby lobby (using their 40% off coupon) so your outlay is low then hit local tot lots and gather clad until its "paid" for --then gather more clad until you can "upgrade" to say a 279 dollar teknetics delta .

now with my delta 4000 ($279) --I can say that so far I have made $160 by finding two rings that the owners gave me $100 and $60 bucks for finding ... finding lost rings . car keys and find lost property stakes can pay back some cash ...a ad on your local craigslist is free too..

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started detecting this year. So far I have $14.70 face value, some spent shotgun shells, some different caliber shell casings, a square nail, 3 wheat pennies, a Mississippi sales tax token, a German 10 pfennig, a small silver plated earring, some dog name tags and a cow ear tag.
I have spent over $20 in batteries. You do the math.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
but look at all the fun you had..for $ 5.30 ....

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
When I first started this wonderful hobby after just a few weeks of having a Garrett Ace 150 Metal detector (my first one) I found a cache of coins mostly copper and stuff but at first I thought it was normal and all but now 3 years after the fact I have never found a find anywhere that big and I probably never will again and that was a once in a life time find and I am forever great full! But back to the topic metal detecting is not about money or making money, it's about having that adventurous feeling fulfilled and enjoying being outside and being in nature and just loving the adventure of getting there, before during and after the dig, going home all of it that is what it is all about! And that is why I got a metal detector in the first place and here I am today loving the hobby. Now if anyone bought a metal detector to invest or make money I say this in the nicest way possible that maybe this is not the hobby for you and buy maybe I mean it's definitely not the hobby for you. But if you got it to have fun, have an adventure, spend time with family, seeing what you find, and anything like that like me then also like me it will be one of your favorite things to do in live!
That's my opinion
Jolteon

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
but look at all the fun you had..for $ 5.30 ....

I had a ton of fun. The point of the thread is that it's a hobby not a money maker. I only put my battery cost in my post with all the others costs implied (detectors, tools, knee pads, gloves, gas, etc) to show that I haven't even made enough money to cover my battery expenses!

Interesting note though... I found a 1907 Barber quarter yesterday after work after I made that post. :laughing7: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/468084-welcome-me-silver-club.html

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it's EASY to make a fortune using your MD if ya got a good solid plan thought out.

I for one am a optimist / planner. I have been secretly cornering the horseshoe market one horseshoe at a time. Kind of like the Hunt brothers on silver. While researching possible large hidden caches in my area I discovered a secret paper. It stated that during the civil war iron was scarce and a lot of gold needed to be hid. So they made horseshoes out of solid gold. Who'd of thought? And many horses traveled in my area behind my home. So..... I've been out back cleaning up the lost iron ones. My plan is to within 2-3 more years have all the iron ones found and out of the ground. Then... I'll change modes on the MD to gold and clean up quickly. See... its all about thinking things completely through!!!!!

Hurry back Frank and let's get some of these iron ones out of the ground.... I'll take over from there (you'll be real tired). That's the plan.... and it's working out great thus far.... Brad

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm hoping that the treasure I find will pay for my addiction clinic someday..... And I got it Bad..:tongue3:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
900 Hundred holes dug and I took the equity I found and for the first time spent my found money!
I bought 2 beers with the green coins!
:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold for melt value found gold rings because it made me feel good. It is a hobby and am excited about a new spot for Sunday. I can't google earth it enough or study the civil war atlas anymore. It could be a bust but I dream of it being loaded and pouches full.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The odds of making much are pretty slim even though some have found expensive jewelry etc. from time to time. However, if you have to buy batteries out of your own budget, you just aren't trying hard enough in my opinion.
luvsdux

Fire9378

Mar 4, 2015
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
T-Rex Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this hobby and I thought at first that I would find gold and silver rings with every swing on the beaches. Then reality set in. Have I paid for my machine, yes. Made enough to take my better half to Disney World for 3 days. That was last year, been swinging as much as I can and think I have racked up about $20 in clad and 1 silver charm this year. I don't get to enjoy this hobby anywhere near as most of you. I am an overseas contractor in Afghanistan. So am only home about 35 days a year. But my job supports all my hobbies...deer and elk hunting, fishing, shooting and reloading, guitar, gold prospecting(hard to do in Florida btw) and archery.

I learned early on that MDing is like Elk hunting...The hunt is an experience whether you get one or not. I have always walked looking down picking up change so this is a natural hobby for me. I make really good money in my job but picking up a couple bucks in change is more fun that my job. It's a way for me to unwind from being rocketed here at work. Yes sitting in Afghanistan right now.

My better half didn't think I would stick with this great hobby (like the 3 guitars collecting dust) but I have and will do it until my wheelchair gives me too many false signals and gets stuck in the beach sand. Told her she's younger than me so she gets to push me around.

We all have high hopes while searching. That's part of why we do it. You just never know what you may find. A penny, a quarter or the holy grail 2 carat diamond ring. You just never know.

Great thread btw.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting