Need opinions, would you try and clean this coin or not?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Here you go man. It's not pretty. The one that's been clipped is fairly thick and def. appears to be a KG. The other is bent, much thinner and really no detail left on it.I'm pretty sure I'ts a KG as well. Anyways, I threw the thin one in my brass tumbler to try and get rid of the green liquid plumber patina. Not a good idea either! I only dunked them less than halfway, saw what was going on, and pulled them out. By the way, congrats on a killer banner find :occasion14: View attachment 1173076 View attachment 1173077 View attachment 1173078 View attachment 1173079
Thanks and look on the bright side, at least you found out on something already in bad shape and not a Liberty Cap large cent in AU condition.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Piece of tin foil, and a good gob of spit should do the trick, it stinks but it works. Some say lemon juice, and some say leave it be.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver coin of no real value...

Pour some Tarnex in a small cup... place coin and slightly agitate... count ten seconds correctly...
Take coin out and rinse well with hot water.
Rub lightly dry...
IF still more...
Repeat exact process.
Available in every Wal Mart CVS and walgreens worldwide... costs 5 bucks a bottle.
Cannot live without it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
And the proper methods are...?

Not to disrespect you, JB, but I always find these threads a little funny to read because everyone has an opinion on what is best, but nobody ever makes a declarative statement outlining the methods used by the professionals, i.e. PCGS and the like.

I challenge people who reply to these threads: Does anyone know the correct professional museum-quality restoration way to clean a coin without it losing any of its value? I've never found anything on the internet by anyone stating, "This is how PCGS does it" or, "This is how the Smithsonian would clean it."

The gauntlet was thrown a while ago. I dared someone to pick it up then. No one did. :dontknow:

I said they "are NOT proper methods for your specific coin". Read post #14. I said to use the baking soda method for his specific coin.

Also, proper methods are out there. I know them and so do many others. Just takes some research plus experience.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm advising Against listening to me while deferring to those knowledgeable when cleaning coins.
If forced, I will also mention what I did with muriatic acid and coins! ;)
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread