Anyone ever hear of purple painted rings around a tree mean no trespass?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the so cal mts.The forestry here ties ribbons on trees to mark them.Cute little eco friendly ribbons.The tree huggin,hippie,global warming crowd would string you up for defacing the trees dignity by assaulting it with purple paint.Me....I burn em for heat...:thumbsup:

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri has this law as well. Purple paint or ribbons carry the same weight in the law as a no trespassing sign.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes and purple fence post's, purple gate's ect..., blue marks army corps of engineer's property, a yellow ring means the base of that tree is the hundred year flood plane.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
When I am not in Mexico, I do live briefly and reluctantly in Southern Texas. I had a friend until he died, what you call a "good ole' boy."

He told me that in Texas, on the ranches, they did not feel obliged to mark it no trespassing. If it is your land, you know it. And, if it is not your land, you know it as well.

He told me it is simple, if it is not your land, don't go on it without permission. Period. if you do they may hold you at gun point in the dirt on your stomach for an hour or two waiting for the sheriff. I believed him.

He rented land years ago on the Laguna Seca Ranch north of McAllen. It has a very historic cemetery on it. He wanted to show me. Before we walked 100 feet through an open gate to the cemetery gate, we drove to the ranch headquarters to ask permission. The man there told us when the outer gate is open, respectful visitors may enter the cemetery.

It was an interesting visit. They put pictures on the tombstones. There was a woman, sister who raised him, of the deceased owner of the ranch at that time, she died many years ago, but there was a fresh photo of her. I don't know if those things are permanent or if they replace them from time to time. I never saw those photos in the North.

Here in rural Mexico private property is shown by two somethings protruding alongside the path or road. We have large concrete posts on both sides of our private street which crosses our property. We do permit everyone to cross our property on that private street because there is no other access for a number of people.

But, the concrete posts put them on notice not to park, or wreck things, etc.

A cousin said if you are following a path in the forest, and there are two sticks propped up beside the path, you have just been informed no trespassing. I suspect this is tradition or what we call common law, but am not sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what it pretty much comes down to for me.
IF I ever saw tree rings painted. no matter what color.
I would take it the property owner did it.

I would not consider it to mean no trespassing just a boundary.

as far as trespassing, No signs, I'd feel I need to ask

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My land has been surveyed 3 times in the last 30 years. They use blue paint in this neck of the woods. 3 stripes is a corner here.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read the posts here about claims and right of ways and such and can't help thinking how strange it sounds. The area I'm from, you don't get caught trespassing. Some of these old farmers have had bad things happen on their property. I know of one personally that shot a truck that he caught on his property and ran from him. Not saying it's right....I just have always kept that in mind.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Funny. I thought that painting trees would come under 'defacing native trees' or 'poisoning native plants' even 'defacing the landscape' "Laws can seem so confusing.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The paint doesn't harm the trees in any way. Remember it is only a band of purple, a few inches wide. Most land owners use plain latex house paint which will stay on the tree bark for years and is non-toxic. I've seen it around the piney woods of east Texas all my life and never seen it hurt a tree. Actually less harmful than nailing a metal sign to the tree.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old timers used to paint a white ring around the base of trees also. Think that was an old wives tail about bores or beatles or something like that. Anyone remember why that was?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thanks for the input. Now I see Illinois has followed Texas's lead and has adopted such laws in recent times. Saves money, no longer need signs.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never heard of that sounds like the rich land owners are just to lazy to spend the time to properly post there property

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard of that sounds like the rich land owners are just to lazy to spend the time to properly post there property

You usually can find an old painted line on large tracts. But have you ever tried to post a couple thousand acres every 50 yards and keep the signs up? No way.
I buy the rolls of tyvec no trespassing signs and use a hammer stapler in obvious areas.
Many types of trespassers out there some with not so great intentions. You can not blame a property owner for getting upset when people do not ask permission.
It is why when I ask for permission I get turned down sometimes. Because they are always dealing with trespassers.

I would rather see large tracts kept together then lotted out into subdivisions.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There's always options for posting of private lands, signage that gets ripped off because folks have the big problem of somebody owning something they don't. Painting a tree might be the only option that some have to combat this endless problem. I'd paint a tree if it meant something as I have already replaced 15 signs this year and we're only talking about -40acres. I couldn't imagine the costs of doing a huge ranch and I think rich has nothing to do with ownership of land, typical farmer might be land rich but really dirt poor.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always options for posting of private lands, signage that gets ripped off because folks have the big problem of somebody owning something they don't. Painting a tree might be the only option that some have to combat this endless problem. I'd paint a tree if it meant something as I have already replaced 15 signs this year and we're only talking about -40acres. I couldn't imagine the costs of doing a huge ranch and I think rich has nothing to do with ownership of land, typical farmer might be land rich but really dirt poor.

I would give your post more than one like if I could. Land rich and dirt poor are most. I have as a side job "land manager" for over 4000 acres. We always battle one problem after another while caring for the land. Do not get my wrong as I also have been shut down many times on getting permission to hunt other properties. I will not cross onto property I do not have permission for. Not around here anyways.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Missouri the color purple is the universal "No trespassing" message.
Painted on signs, trees, fence posts, means you have been warned and will stand up in court if prosecuted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions