Do you care about battery drain?

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi !

Just asking, because I do.

I am tempted by the new F 44 from Fisher, as it runs on 2xAA and affers a bunch of specs I can use everyday, and I know there are other good examples of low battery drain detectors (F75/F70, Garrett AT and ACES, etc.)

I presently own two detectors offering a very low battery drain (and outstanding performances) : my trusty 1212-x (35hours with a 9v battery) and my Clasic III SL, a little over 75 hours with one set of 8 AA batteries.

Other detectors offer around 20 hours on one 9v. In my case, the Eurotek pro and the Golden µMAX.

I tryed rechargeables (NiMh), but never was satisfied with their performance.

While using these last two ones, when I feel the digging job will be tough, I cut the power until I recover the target. (another huge benefit of using pinpointers !). This extends battery life from 5 to 15 %, broad guesstimate.

Do you fellow hunters have other personal tips and tricks to make batteries last longer?

I would be curious to know.

Cheers and HH

Grumpy

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grumpy I do not worry about battery drain. I get my batteries in bulk at a certain store. 10 9V for $10 and 48 AAs for $12. Last season when I was bout 30 miles from home detecting when my batteries in the F4 died. I was out of spare batteries in the van and was forced to go to the local hardware store to purchase two 9V batteries so I could continue the hunt. Had to pay a little over $9 for a pair of fresh batteries. PM me and I will tell you where I got the good battery deals.

I am swinging the F75LTD SE now and get about 40 hours on 4 AAs. SO I have enough batteries on hand to hunt for 1920 hours. I only hunt about 500 hours a year, so I am set for almost 4 years of hunting.

I just looked online and you can get a 100 pack of these AA batteries for 22.97. They now sell the 9V batteries $9.97 for an 8 pack.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the rechargeable packs the came with the Minelabs, the machines are power suckers compared to your examples of the low battery drain units mentioned. I figure that the savings from using the rechargeable power packs over replacing the batteries have saved me a tidy sum of $$$ over the years. The rechargeable do loose strength over time but after 6 years I can still get 12+hrs out of a single charge.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
using headphones extends service life of batts on any machine.I just dont like headphones

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I primarily use an ETRac. And it sucks juice fast.
Not impressed with the stock rechargeables at all.
Quality, fresh batteries are an expense I'll gladly pay. Nothing worse than being miles from vehicle when batts quit.
I prefer Energizers.
Peace ✌

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Quality, fresh batteries are an expense I'll gladly pay.
I prefer Energizers.

I used to use Energizers, until I discovered that Radioshack batteries last longer. And they're less expensive.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the rechargeable batteries, they (good ones) last as long, if not a bit longer, then the standard commercial brands.

The Duracell and Energizer AA rechargeable do very well.

I keep a set of AA Alkaline as the emergency standby- but generally don't have to use them.

I don't have the 9V rechargeable yet- just using standard alkaline for the pinpointer.

I'm using the Rapoo wireless headset- dumped the cord- really really like them. Very lightweight and the charge lasts as long as I do.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I use the RnB ML-3100 for Minelab machines and the RnB-3100 for Whites. Both batteries will last for 24+ hours before needing a recharge. After using the machine for 8 - 10 hours the battery charge indicator remains at the full position, they are a bit pricey at $139.00 dollars. For Garrett products I use Energizer AA-24/pk from Lowes around $ 12.00 dollars and replace when two bars remain. I do hope, in the future, RnB products make a Garrett battery pack for the AT Pro series of detectors.

Regards,

Codheads51

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
England
Detector(s) used
Red base treasure baron
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i have a treasure baron it has a 9 volt battery in I only get about 6 hours I all ways carry another with me, I was looking at your profil and noticed that youhave the millioner does it have the pro hunter and deep hunter in it, I am in search of these modules, I am from the UK , do you want to sell, I have a sister who lives in Florida.....so if you want to sell it could be sent there. I,m just talking hypertheticaly......please let me know then I can continue with my search....thankyou...les

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for those intersting answers & tips.

here, at the other side of the pond, the best I can find are regular 9v alkalines in a blister of two pièces for about $ 2.5. Same price for the 8xAA pack, both lasting around what the manufacturers indicates in their specs sheets.

I quit rechargeable packs from Minelab, they failed on regular basis an I got tired of it ! When I use them Minelabs, I use alkaline batteries too.

Codhead, I'm just over The Channel. But my Baron is the Cointrax II, it's the non modulable version, it has I think all the modules except wet sand.

I just put it for sale through my dealer, as I did not use it much, and did not find any second hand coils for it.

HH

Grumpy

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not an issue for me at all , given that I usually never get to hunt more than 3 and a half hours.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. I get over 60 hours on four AA batteries with my F-75.

I get one of the big "party packs" of batteries around Christmas time when they have them on sale at various stores.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I use the RnB ML-3100 for Minelab machines and the RnB-3100 for Whites. Both batteries will last for 24+ hours before needing a recharge. After using the machine for 8 - 10 hours the battery charge indicator remains at the full position, they are a bit pricey at $139.00 dollars. For Garrett products I use Energizer AA-24/pk from Lowes around $ 12.00 dollars and replace when two bars remain. I do hope, in the future, RnB products make a Garrett battery pack for the AT Pro series of detectors.

Regards,

Totally agree!! I love the 3100. It will last me a good four trips out at 10 hours a day. Plus, I can charge it in the field which only takes a couple hours. This thing has made a huge difference in target acquisition as well. It's kicking out a little more juice when fully charged. I have noticed though at about 50%, she go's down fairly quick. Waiting for it to be available in AT Pro as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread