OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
My Holy Grail would probably make some of you laugh. I have always wanted to find anything from the 1700's or earlier. But I need to someday find a hammered silver coin. I see everyone on here finding them and I envy all of you who do. I don't think they are around here but I will still find one someday and then my life will be complete. lol, okay its not that dramatic but I really want to find one.

There's probably only a handful of people on here who have found hammered coins in North America (other than Spanish cobbs). But it's certainly an attainable goal.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold the card for $1500.00 and just about a month later the card was worth $15k. I have kicked myself in the ass ever since.

I'm not one to "one-up" people, but I can certainly feel your pain. Back in the 80's, I used to have a mint-condition comic book, The Avengers #1. It was in an attic clean-out collection of comics and magazines I bought as one price for the lot. I stupidly threw it in as a deal sweetener to someone who wanted a few other comics I had at the time.

That single comic book today would be worth well over $200k. :BangHead:

Inline with the thread topic: I'm pretty humble I guess. I just want to find a gold coin. Any New England silver would be nice.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to find early spanish relics here in california.given the choice,a conquistadors entire outfit and personal items minus the bones.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Breaking into the 1700's club, any coin from that period would be on my list. Living in Ohio there is a slim chance for the 1700's and almost no chance for the 1600's.

Hello Loco-Digger,

Congratulations of the nice coin find! Keep looking the next century is out there for you to find!

I have had the pleasure of recovering coins from 1600’s, 1700’s, 1800’s…etc. The earlier ones, I returned to respective historical places and societies. For the early sites, I gain access to dig by donating all of the historically significant items. These places without the proper permission will surely get you silver cuffs and a ride in a car with flashing lights. I have a very good reputation in the area and gaining permissions is fairly easy, with my supplied references.

To me it’s more about the pleasure of metal detecting these places; finding interesting and historic artifacts.

Perhaps you can gain interesting permissions by using this method of finding sites. I wish you well and good luck this year.

Best Regards,

Doc

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
1849 $5 Gold Coin .. Norris, Gregg & Norris

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a $3 dollar gold coin

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many things I'd like to find but if I had to pick only one to be the "Holy Grail" it would have to be like these. :goldbar:

002111112555.jpg imagesID81T5FN.jpg

What are the odds of finding a gold brick?????

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy grail in my part of the world (alberta Canada) would be a hudsons bay trade ax. Not unheard of to find but danged rare.

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first silver or any 1800s coin. Got a crusty IHP but date is toast so I need a good 1800s.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a Holy Grail find. Early into the hobby I was blessed with finding some of the the oldest European artifacts in my area, at that time. I went through just about every type of emotion that you would think of, including jealousy, in a mad obsessive swirl. I still take the wife on an annual northern vacation and casually swing for a few fur trade rings or whatever pops up, while combo'ing with an outdoors camping thing. And the interest is still there, but the passion/obsession peaked and mellowed. These days smaller and personally interesting finds are more than enough reward for me. So right now a U.S. buffalo or V nickel would be quite satisfying. I've already found enough Barber silvers and Indian Heads up here to appreciate, but move on from those. I found a 1910 quarter yesterday morning, and a 1911 about two weeks ago. These finds are more than enough to keep me happy as a clam.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy grail in my part of the world (alberta Canada) would be a hudsons bay trade ax. Not unheard of to find but danged rare.

It may not be as hard as you think bud. Do your research. Finding the precise site may or may not present a challenge. Swing the historic trail in and out of the site for a ways. Google Earth is your friend. A big coil certainly wouldn't hurt, for multiple reasons. I once found a small group of trade knives below the plow line. My Tejon hit them but it was only a moderate/lighter signal, they were down there as someone likely buried them.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find the Cave With the Iron Door in the Wichitas in Southwest Oklahoma.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I really want to find my favorite coin, a Walking Liberty half. Also, any gold coin!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a couple smaller gold coins already. But the one out our way would have to be a CC Double Eagle, a jar of old silver or a cache of cavalry rifles which were hidden in one of our many caves!!! Of course I would never sell either.........Or tell!!!!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread