Im goin to California...(pointers?)

rocny

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm goin to California...(pointers?)

Hey,
I'm going to south central CA next week. I'm bringing my Tesoro Vaquero. I hear there's gold in them there hills. I've only started detecting earlier this year and there isn't really gold where I am now. Other than in the family's yard, any advice on where to use my detector? There is an American Mining Rights group that says for a $200 donation you can access their claim where I'm going but that seems a little steep for a newbie and for only 2 weeks that I'll be around there. Are there any definite "no-nos" I might not have thought about? or maybe "yes-yes's" I guess too. I'll detect for any non-trash.
Thanks,
Ken

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only advice is to listen to this song from Led Zeppelin to get you in the mood.

"Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Goin' To California with an achin' in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.
Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.
The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
as the children of the sun began to awake.

Seems that the wrath of the Gods
Got a punch on the nose and it started to flow;
I think I might be sinking.
Throw me a line if I reach it in time
I'll meet you up there where the path
Runs straight and high.

To find a queen without a king,
They say she plays guitar and cries and sings... la la la
Ride a white mare in the footsteps of dawn
Tryin' to find a woman who's never, never, never been born.
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams,
Telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems."

I love that song. Good luck to you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes. The pointers (rules) for CA are quite simple: You pay be 30% of all your finds (I accept paypal), and you can detect here to your heart's desire ! :laughing7:

I'm not a nugget hunter, so I can't help you with So. CA info for that. Except to say that it seems the better nugget producing areas of CA are not down in the desert (although, yes, there's regions that produce nuggets that far south). The better regions are the central sierra foothills further north. Seems to be more nugget md'rs there, than the desert So CA regions. Also: don't assume that all regions that historically produced gold were nugget regions. There's lots of gold areas that only ever produced placer (dust in ore) gold , not nuggets. That was where it had to be extracted via processing the tonnage, but isn't found in nugget form.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said south central California, that is vague and encompasses an area the size of a small state, what is the name of the town or county you are visiting?

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to South Central Los Angeles :laughing7::laughing7:, you'll have better luck hauling yourself out to Santa Monica beach and hitting the dry sand.

OP
OP
R

rocny

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said south central California, that is vague and encompasses an area the size of a small state, what is the name of the town or county you are visiting?

Sorry, San Luis Obispo is the destination. Did a little research online and looks like there used to be mining operation up in the hills behind the Home Depot8-). Just trying to see what opportunities there will be while I'm in CA so I can prepare if necessary. I'm TOTALLY new to any kind of gold hunting like that. So there is some kind of risk/reward line I'm looking for. Otherwise, I'll just poke around my sister's house and maybe a beach or two(new to that too).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know of any nugget hunting in that area of CA. And to the extent that you have found historical citation of mining in hills @ around CA, the same can be said of ANY speck of CA, at one time or another. Mines here are a "dime a dozen". Ie.: mining for what ? Doesn't mean there's nuggets for today's detectors.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, San Luis Obispo is the destination. Did a little research online and looks like there used to be mining operation up in the hills behind the Home Depot8-). Just trying to see what opportunities there will be while I'm in CA so I can prepare if necessary. I'm TOTALLY new to any kind of gold hunting like that. So there is some kind of risk/reward line I'm looking for. Otherwise, I'll just poke around my sister's house and maybe a beach or two(new to that too).
The mining in that area was benitoite or cinnabar or asbestos there are a lot of nasty things in those hills because it is part of a fault also could get Valley fever so be real careful you should stick to the coast.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet would be to go just a few miles away to Pismo and Grover beach to find some Gold as in rings, also the scenery is good there because of Cal Poly University there at San Luis Obisbo. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread