Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Tesoro makes them without a visual display.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The El Cheapo I bought 4 years ago had 3 tones and no VDI, just a meter that pegged on every hit. It was a useless meter, just eye candy.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cant go wrong with any model in Tesoro's lineup. I'm good with the detectors I now possess, but if I wanted a great knock-a-round dead-simple-dead-reliable machine, I'd grab myself a Compadre for $160. Best bang for the buck in metal detecting today, in my opinion.

OP
OP
H

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen....I appreciate your responses but nobody answered my question, "Are there any new or vintage detectors that have multi-tones without a vdi?"

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You already mentioned "other than Minelab" so I can't talk you into a Musketeer Advantage. My first "real" detector and still a solid performer.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant answer your question,which is a good one.I can ask one however...why?metal detecting is alot like playing skilled poker,the more information you can glean the"luckier"you are.I agree that the ear and mind are a great combo,but ear,mind and sight is better,just more info.when ear and vdi are in conflict you can make a more informed decision about retrieving target,same if they agree.

I have noticed virtually no price issue so perhaps the decision on which machine could or should be made on budget,environment,predominate soil condition, coil alternatives,customer sevice etc.this may help in resale as well as most folks like the screen info.The use of older vintage machines will radically put you at disadvantage.bfo=shallow etc.almost no resale value and the current machines are fast recovery and designed lighter.lighter counts if you really go after it.

You could always put electrical tape over the parts of the screen that have no value to you.
:occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Golden Umax does have multi tones and no VDI.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Tesoros have multi-tones imho. They aren't true multi-tones, but they definitely give a different tone (sound) for each level of conductivity.

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just "Googled' - multiple tone metal detectors without vdi display.
This TNet thread was top of list?
Amazing!
Try it...
Peace ✌

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Tesoros have multi-tones imho. They aren't true multi-tones, but they definitely give a different tone (sound) for each level of conductivity.

Yes. Once you get to know a Tesoro machine, you can tell the difference on some things based on the sound. But the Golden Umax has distinct tones, if I recall four tones. When they first came out with the Golden, there wasn't much difference between them, but a couple of years ago they revamped their tones so that each of the four tones is more distinct.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Once you get to know a Tesoro machine, you can tell the difference on some things based on the sound. But the Golden Umax has distinct tones, if I recall four tones. When they first came out with the Golden, there wasn't much difference between them, but a couple of years ago they revamped their tones so that each of the four tones is more distinct.

I guess you are right, Susan. Seems like the OP is truly looking for something with true multi-tones, so your Golden uMax would seriously fill the bill.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
For water detecting the cz21 has 3 tones. Took it out this weekend for its maiden voage and found a gold wedding band, some costume jewelry and clad.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites TDI has 2 tones. Low tone for high conductors and high tone for low conductors. It is a PI machine and can be difficult to understand how to run if you are not willing to really put a lot into learning how to use one. In the right places it can be a very powerful tool!

As far as Tesoro's are concerned, everyone should own at least one because they are so much fun, simple and featherlight!

Last edited:

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TDI is simple to learn and very easy to use it is easier than a cheap bounty hunter to understand !! I have had mine for a few years now and have enjoyed every second of learning and using it , it just seems like a natural extension of my arm with tones !!!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I think Makro has a new $600 detector with no meter. I think there are/were probably a few more. George (MN)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
For water detecting the cz21 has 3 tones. Took it out this weekend for its maiden voage and found a gold wedding band, some costume jewelry and clad.

I've used my cz20 numerous times on land. So, I think it's an answer to the OP's original question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread