The settling of America

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks I know this isn't about metal detecting, but I couldn't help but share this! I was reading on an Old West website that has many short but factual stories about the old west. As the other stories I had read of before I know them to be true, but this HAS to be true as well, without much thought you'll see what I mean. I'm quoting it below. Enjoy, and wonder at the marvels our society has bestowed upon us.

From an old west website

Indian Chief “Two Eagles” was asked by a white U.S. government official, “You have observed the white man for 90 years. You’ve seen his wars and his technological advances. You’ve seen his progress, and the damage he’s done Chief Two Eagles."

The chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued, “Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?

The chief stared at the government official then replied, “When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex.”

Then the chief leaned back and smiled, “Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.”

====================

WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad but true.... The biggest difference in my eyes is that the Native Americans lived in harmony with nature. Only took what hey needed and used everything. The White man wanted to take everything in excess and sell it with more concern on profit and less on the environment.

OP
OP
McClod

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no idea they had websites in the old west

OP
OP
McClod

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no idea they had websites in the old west

You didn't know the Telegraph was the 1st internet? Man you should heard all the posting going on, something to the tune of "bury or hide/hoard all your gold and silver coins to make them harder to find when they invent the metal detector!!" ;-)

S

stefen

It was in a book entitled Indian Fairy Tales by Pokerhonest

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad but true.... The biggest difference in my eyes is that the Native Americans lived in harmony with nature. Only took what hey needed and used everything. The White man wanted to take everything in excess and sell it with more concern on profit and less on the environment.
They lived simply and very close to nature, but at times the native people took way more than they needed and so much no way they could make use of it all. (Look into those buffalo jumps) Of course, there were so many buffalo and so comparatively few natives at the time there really wasn't much of a negative impact. It kind of gets down to how a culture places its values. Europeans believed in personal land ownership and seemed to be more profit minded with little concern or foresight about the environment as long as they got their dollar. And there were millions of them, maybe more than the land could support. Natives believed the earth would last forever and continue to support them, and due to their lower population numbers, that could have been, had it not been for the European migration to the 'new world'. Speculation I guess, but one way to think about it.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natives believed the earth would last forever and continue to support them, and due to their lower population numbers, that could have been, had it not been for the European migration to the 'new world'. Speculation I guess, but one way to think about it.

That thought is the crux of many of the issues facing the world today. Too many people on the planet! There are more people alive today than have lived and died in recorded history.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't agree about too many people, however I do think there are too few IQ points to go around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread